IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Simpler times
4/16/23, 12:16 PM   #1
mlamb

The passing of Allan Brown (national speedway directory) recently had me reflect.
His publication got me to 81 speedway Lil Springfield Williams Grove Devils Bowl (the old) Tulsa speedway Silver Dollar Mayetta Ks (Thunder Hill) Spoon River Moberly East Alabama motor speedway Lernerville and way way too many more to list.
Those times, pre internet and cell phones seemed so much simpler. I used to virtually never look at the weather before a race, I just went. Yes I’ve been rained out more than I’d like. But it was just part of the experience.
Getting my NSSN on Thursday seeing who won last week and looking at printed ads for upcoming races. Looked forward to that every week.
Father Time is undefeated and will continue to be. Everything will continue to evolve and change, sometimes for the good sometimes not.
Last edited by mlamb; 4/16/23 at 1:39 PM.

4/16/23, 12:42 PM   #2
Re: Simpler times
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

What's getting better? Im about at the point of finding another passion, Maybe back to Hockey. IDK.

USED to get to tracks way early, Read Mid American front to back. I bought a directory but Im not sure I ever used it. Bought Earls book. Wolfies book, Hewitts Book. Tracks used to run TWO PREMIER classes and a starter. Now it may just be six support classes with no top class. Or one and four supports. Now it's three or four sanctions and Internet bascially killing weekly racing.

Really questioning going to any more races this year. Went to a 10k LM race last night that had 19 cars 750 to start No big names and I picked the top four finishers in order after hot laps.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 4/16/23 at 12:51 PM.

4/16/23, 2:24 PM   #3
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
What's getting better?
Broadcasting of races has gottten a lot better. Used to not be able to see most races unless you went to them.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, mlamb
4/16/23, 9:01 PM   #4
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by MassiveRaceFan View Post
Broadcasting of races has gottten a lot better. Used to not be able to see most races unless you went to them.
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but you do realize that's part of the problem right? You cant have racing without any fans in the bleachers.

As I've stated many times on here, I know many many people who are within 10 miles of The Kokomo Speedway and instead of supporting the track, they now stay home and watch the race, via cell phone, computer, tv.

I've also seen on here many many times people ask how to get more fans in the seats, more crowd, newer crowd...well broadcasting it via internet, cell phone, computer, tv isnt gonna do it. $150/year for Flo, or go to races and pay $20-$30 per race...people who dont have money to spend, easy choice, $150/year for basically anything you want except WoO...$20/race gets you 8 races, tops...as Charles said what's getting better? The internet? Sure isnt the overall picture.
Last edited by DirtTrackTherapy16J; 4/16/23 at 9:03 PM.

4/16/23, 9:55 PM   #5
Jonr

So, I do miss the days of the National Speedway Directory, and yes, I bought one in person from Allan Brown. I also miss the days of the NSSN.

However, I do enjoy the ability to plan an entire season of races in the middle of February. I do enjoy the knowing where all of the series are going to be and what my options are.

I also think that as I have gotten older, that I have gotten much more selective in what I would go see. In the past, any type of class would get me excited. Now, I am getting very more selective. If the track does not have a premier class that I want to see, I will not attend. I also quit going to marathon tracks. There is track near me that routinely rolls out 7 to 8 classes and I have not been to that track in years.

I also don't see how streaming is saving the local tracks.

4/16/23, 10:26 PM   #6
MassiveRaceFan

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post
I'm not trying to start an argument with you, but you do realize that's part of the problem right? You cant have racing without any fans in the bleachers.

As I've stated many times on here, I know many many people who are within 10 miles of The Kokomo Speedway and instead of supporting the track, they now stay home and watch the race, via cell phone, computer, tv.

I've also seen on here many many times people ask how to get more fans in the seats, more crowd, newer crowd...well broadcasting it via internet, cell phone, computer, tv isnt gonna do it. $150/year for Flo, or go to races and pay $20-$30 per race...people who dont have money to spend, easy choice, $150/year for basically anything you want except WoO...$20/race gets you 8 races, tops...as Charles said what's getting better? The internet? Sure isnt the overall picture.
I think real race fans are going to go to a race if they're able to, whether it's streamed or not. Streaming is a scapegoat that people want to use as an excuse for why people don't show up. Seeing a weekly show somewhere with local classes with few cars may have worked in the past, but in the 21st century, people have more options for what to do with their time, and if your track doesn't have much to offer, it's your fault nobody goes, not the fact that it's streamed. And I personally care a lot more about various traveling series now that I get to watch every race, compared to in the past when I only got to see them race once or twice a year.
Last edited by MassiveRaceFan; 4/16/23 at 10:28 PM.

5 members like this post: flagboy55, mlamb, nathans1012, skids59, Will Shunk
4/17/23, 12:50 AM   #7
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlamb View Post
The passing of Allan Brown (national speedway directory) recently had me reflect.
His publication got me to 81 speedway Lil Springfield Williams Grove Devils Bowl (the old) Tulsa speedway Silver Dollar Mayetta Ks (Thunder Hill) Spoon River Moberly East Alabama motor speedway Lernerville and way way too many more to list.
Those times, pre internet and cell phones seemed so much simpler. I used to virtually never look at the weather before a race, I just went. Yes I’ve been rained out more than I’d like. But it was just part of the experience.
Getting my NSSN on Thursday seeing who won last week and looking at printed ads for upcoming races. Looked forward to that every week.
Father Time is undefeated and will continue to be. Everything will continue to evolve and change, sometimes for the good sometimes not.
I'm glad I got to experience times of which you described! Yes its certainly different now...
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

4 members like this post: John P Huss, Ken Bonnema, mlamb, motorhead748
4/17/23, 2:07 AM   #8
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by DirtTrackTherapy16J View Post

Sounds like some Hoosier folks are getting jaded about it, not surprising when you can go any time you want for decades. Some New Orleans people always leave town for Mardi Gras. For guys like me who live 4 hrs away from any good racing (if you consider wingers good) I'm glad I can watch on Flo & DV, but as soon as I'm relieved of my "elder care" obligations, I plan to hit the road & a bunch of races LIVE... much better!
We'll see how long it takes me to get burnt out....

6 members like this post: flagboy55, Hubie48, Hustlin-Hoosier, mlamb, oppweld, TNRustler
4/17/23, 7:45 AM   #9
Hubie48

While I subscribe to Flo, I am spoiled living in Indianapolis. The tradition of GOING to the races is very strong. I love the sights and sounds, along with friends and people I have seen for going on fifty years now. It makes me sad to realize the crowd I hang out with it getting really, really small, but that is life in general. Some of the motivation to go is in their memory.

I went to the Larry Rice Memorial this past Friday. Larry was a really nice person and a friend. He would have also shared this same sentiment. Not seeing D.O. and Drew anymore, well, it's taking some getting used to. There are sadly many, many others.

Getting older is not for the faint of heart. Hell I have to be careful stepping over seats! The climb to the restroom becomes more difficult, yet the senses I get from being at the race track remain as always.

Fun

I'm pretty sure that's what keeps the inner gyro spinning.

4/17/23, 8:06 AM   #10
TQ29m

All of the above, but what I miss the most, is being part of the show, either by being a driver, or being a car owner, pulling in to the pits, seeing the friends, having done it for at least 50 years now, at several levels and places, just watching is no longer an option, so now I merely read about it, the thrill is now in my head, and what I remember, it was a blast, and a pleasure, and I hope I can be satisfied with that for sometime in the future.
Thanks for this website, and the info that keeps me coming back, Bob.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Simpler times