IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
7/5/22, 8:59 AM   #21
Re: Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.
dsc1600

It can be cool watching crews change a ton of stuff in a short amount of time to get the car back out. It also is cool seeing drivers overcome flats like Gravel did on Saturday to come from deep in the field to 2nd. But I'd be in favor of capping the type of work you can do in the work area to tires, wings and small suspension stuff. Just because you can change an axle in 2 minutes doesn't mean it's always possible, and then you get into the favortism angle of giving certain guys more time than others.

1 member likes this post: rick42
7/5/22, 12:14 PM   #22
Duane Hancock

The high profile divisions need the work area, this is there jobs, their income, a junk tire blown from something on the track or a badly made tire should NOT end their night! It should not ruin their chance at more $$ due to something not in their control. On the local level, if the track has a good points pay out, you have to have something in place for at least part of the A so you keep your car counts since things are so expensive, you can't just let a junk tire that caused by so many issues the teams cant control end their night. It would be like there is an accident on the road to your work and instead of going around the long way to get there, you are told sorry you are done for the day since you have one chance to get here and you didn't on this attempt so you are parked for the day now.

4 members like this post: CRA91, PIT CART, sjracer26, The Old Coyote
7/5/22, 12:37 PM   #23
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Hancock View Post
The high profile divisions need the work area, this is there jobs, their income, a junk tire blown from something on the track or a badly made tire should NOT end their night! It should not ruin their chance at more $$ due to something not in their control. On the local level, if the track has a good points pay out, you have to have something in place for at least part of the A so you keep your car counts since things are so expensive, you can't just let a junk tire that caused by so many issues the teams cant control end their night. It would be like there is an accident on the road to your work and instead of going around the long way to get there, you are told sorry you are done for the day since you have one chance to get here and you didn't on this attempt so you are parked for the day now.
Yet all these high profile divisions existed perfectly fine without em and the same ones are dictating use of a brand currently producing some junk tires.

2 members like this post: chrismattlin, PIT CART
7/5/22, 1:02 PM   #24
99wracer

1st. i think all prompters should stay home 1 week and watch there races on tv ,then go back and regroup,track prep.,removing accidents from track,.4 wheelers blocking the accidents from the wreckers.and so on.
2nd the work area rule should be abolished,not fair to the guy running 10th thru 15th to have to run 10 extra laps on the yellow to wait for a guy that is going to take a spot away from him or wrecking him doing so later. $00.02

4 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Midget98, Oleman61x, Pitdad
7/5/22, 1:13 PM   #25
Duane Hancock

Charles, years ago most of the teams was getting handed extras under the table by the series promoters too to keep them on the tour. Now days too many people crying to let that happen so you gotta give them a break somewhere if you want any cars. Maybe you like shows with 15 cars, I dont

1 member likes this post: Charles Nungester
7/5/22, 1:18 PM   #26
ThrowbackRacingTeam

I’m headed to Huset’s for the first time. Maybe some wing guys can grow a pair and show up to their home track for good money. Problem solved.

4 members like this post: chrismattlin, flagboy55, ginblueearth, Oleman61x
7/5/22, 1:35 PM   #27
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duane Hancock View Post
Charles, years ago most of the teams was getting handed extras under the table by the series promoters too to keep them on the tour. Now days too many people crying to let that happen so you gotta give them a break somewhere if you want any cars. Maybe you like shows with 15 cars, I dont

Oh I know, But how's it fair to local racer who think's he has a shot? I mean Gravel has a flat. and others so local racer is up in top ten, Good money, Here comes Gravel and others on new tires and local racer is back to sixteenth. Nevermind Local racer could never pull off a axle change. wing changes etc in alotted time.

It's also dangerous if you ask me. It was a CRA race early 90s Eric Gordon pitted next to us at Eldora. Feature, Gordon leading by a straightaway flips down the back straight. RED Flag as others had spun to miss etc. The tow Gordon back to pit. Dozen guys from his crew, Staabs crew and others get new front axel, bars, couple tires etc back on car before they got lineup and pushed off right. Well CRA had a rule, YOU FLIP YOU'RE DONE! good thing too, They black-flagged Gordon, He pulls in to pit and the whole steering box falls in his lap. That rule certainly prevented another caution and possibly prevented injury to Gordon and others.

3 members like this post: Pitdad, Steve Wendel, TQ29m
7/5/22, 2:57 PM   #28
TommyTipover

Hate the work area and the blatant favoritism. I also don't like them changing a flat tire. Depending on the track surface, that car now has a distinct advantage over other cars on old tires.

1 member likes this post: TQ29m
7/5/22, 3:15 PM   #29
TQ29m

I think I would 🤔call it an unnecessary evil, and could definitely do without it, if it were part of the plan and everyone had to stop, then it wouldn't be a sprint race, everyone starts with the same odds, if one burns a tire before the rest, he's out and everyone moves up, as it has been forever, I think it's a negative in racing."NEXT "!
Last edited by TQ29m; 7/5/22 at 3:18 PM.

7/5/22, 4:47 PM   #30
flagboy55

My only thought is the 2 minutes in the work area is much more entertaining when you can watch it, as opposed to sitting in the stands without visual access

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Controversial post. Get rid of work areas and race.