IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Billy P and the Rock
8/14/09, 1:48 PM   #11
Re: Billy P and the Rock
Geoff Kaiser

Ask Jimmy Mccune about the brake rotor that hit him in the shield/helmet at Winchester this year! Trashed the carbon fiber helmet.

8/14/09, 2:03 PM   #12
illinisprintfan

I remember seeing a picture of Brad Doty after getting hit in the face with a rock in the 80's. Not a pretty sight.

8/14/09, 3:03 PM   #13
LEADERS EDGE

My brother caught a Kerker Stainless muffler flat side in the helmet at Phoenix while running a Silver Crown Car. Brand new Shark helmet completely destroyed. It did it's job though.

8/14/09, 3:52 PM   #14
nonwing

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1121 View Post
If I remember correctly, Jim Elliott lost his eye at Bryan, Ohio. Jim was an excellent racer. I saw him win many a race in Paul Hazen's car back in the day at Warsaw Speedway.
On another note, when I ran Salem (yes a paved track) this year with HOSS, at the start of the feature, we all went sailing into turn one and something flew up and hit me dead center, just above my shield. I saw stars! Then over my radio, I heard "caution, caution" (unrelated). The lights had gone out in turn one and two.
They then pulled the red flag so they could fix the lights. While under red, I was feeling around in the cockpit trying to find what hit me. I couldn't find it. When we restarted, I pushed on the throttle and it only went half way. (although some might say I was at half throttle all night!) I made one lap and pulled in. When I got out of the car, I looked to see why the throttle wouldn't open and there was a big piece of asphalt under the throttle pedal.
When we used to run with the USCS down south, they always mandated rock screens even on the pavement. I always laughed about it........until now.

Tom Paterson
Thanks for backing up my story on Jim Elliott. I'm sure I was there and I think when it happened he parked on the main straight away, got out and his helmet was full of blood. Man that day really shook me up - I must have been 12 or 13 at the time. Also, later I'm pretty sure he lost his leg and eventually was killed on his motorcycle. My mind sure does work well trying to remember this stuff back in the 1970's, but with this chemo brain, I can't remember what I had for lunch! LOL.

George Wilkins

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Billy P and the Rock