IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Darland Memorial
8/4/14, 1:42 AM   #41
i love dirt track racing

What a great weekend of racing. The burg was great and wow Kokomo was great. Smack down is going to be fun to watch with the madman running great .

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, FishBurger, Justigit, rachasin, scottyCbus, speed bump
8/4/14, 3:31 AM   #42
Re: Kokomo Darland Memorial
Justigit

Another great nite of racing at Kokomo! There were lots of Madman "Empty Pockets Tour" tee shirts in the stands this evening as the Madman grabbed the big cash in the Bob Darland Memorial 30 lapper, continuing his hot streak. Ballou took mostly the middle and lower groove as Weir, Grant and Darland worked the top side. By around the half way point you could have thrown a blanket over 2nd thru 5th place with racing 3 and 4 wide and then as it began to shake out for the finish it was a race between Grant and Ballou. Grant's car looked to be the fastest all evening as he chased down the leader to get within a bumper but as they caught lapped traffic Grant couldn't make the pass and gave it one last ditch effort between 3 and 4 and nearly tossed it sideways but was unable catch Ballou. Congrats to Robert for the win.
Darland finished a comfortable 3rd place with Weir, Windom and Cottle following. (unofficial) Cottle came to the front late with what seemed like "out of no where" charge for a decent finish. Thanks again Kokomo Speedway and the Darland Family for making this a great evening of racing, and getting us out on the road before 9pm.

8/4/14, 11:13 AM   #43
Jerry Spencer

A night were we should have just stayed home what could go wrong went wrong. Great night for the fans with racing top bottom middle and every place else you could think of.
Area tracks should take notice, races over between 8:30 and 9:00 short break for track workers than right back to what people paid to see, racing.

With other plans there was no way we could pass up an honor like the Bob Darland race yes we missed a good concert but I can tell you when Josh needed something for the Quarter Midget or just to talk about something Bob was there, tired busy it did not matter Bob took the time to help Josh get where he is today makes missing Peter Frampton a no brainer.

We miss Bob but carry on the great friendship with Bobs family, Dave has helped Josh in ways I am sure he did not even realize he was helping.

It was an honor to make The Bob Darland Memorial race, drinking a beer with Dave after the races carries on a long standing tradition we have with the Darland family.

Thanks to The Kokomo Speedway for a great track, thanks to the fans that support not only Josh but every driver that straps in and thank You Bob Darland for being the man we remember so well.

From all of us at Halfmoon / Spencer Racing #66j

Stay safe and we will see you down the road

8/4/14, 3:50 PM   #44
dirtnonwingfan

Race Count This Year: 6

Jerry neglected to mention that Fred Rahmer came over to their pit to visit with them for a while.

2 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Jerry Spencer
8/4/14, 4:20 PM   #45
mowerman

Race Count This Year: 13
Race Count Last Year: 87

Freddy came by the rv before the races and chatted for about an hour , Never met him before super nice guy and racer .

3 members like this post: fish, i love dirt track racing, Jerry Spencer
8/4/14, 8:17 PM   #46
Jerry Spencer

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtnonwingfan View Post
Jerry neglected to mention that Fred Rahmer came over to their pit to visit with them for a while.
You are right Frank, Josh and Fred have been friends for a few years it was really nice spending some time with one of the great people in our sport.

Made a poor showing just that much harder to take.

Jerry

1 member likes this post: BrentTFunk
8/5/14, 2:06 AM   #47
ShamrockRacin'48G

Just a word about Bob Darland...back in the day (98?) when I was runnin a modified at old flat Kokomo, I managed to make the feature but broke a RF caliper-I needed a -4 brake line plug to run my race-after asking a couple sprint car teams w no success, I approached Bob Darland while busy and he said we might have one-took the time and searched an old toolbox and found one so we were able to make the show-it meant the world to me that he took the time to help us out as we always looked up to the sprint guys while being the undercard-to this day it is one of my greatest racin memories-racin is great, but it's the people you meet who make the memories--thank you Mr. Darland...

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Kokomo Darland Memorial