IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A question about USAC Video???
3/1/09, 11:45 AM   #1
A question about USAC Video???
Bill Gardner
Administrator

I have a question about the live video section on the USAC website. I would like some knowledgeable responses. What can be done so that the video feed can seen by more people. Is it a Ram or bandwidth issue on the hosting server? The bandwidth of the connection at the track? What is needed to improve live video.

It appears that the IMS.com website is hosted at IQuest which uses servers in Indianapolis. The best VDS hosting package at IQUEST gets 90GB data transfer and the Ram is not listed. Is this what the live video section has to work with?

My hosting plan here on IOW is 1000GB of data transfer with 768MB Guaranteed RAM... my servers are located in Chicago. and I am almost already max'd out on RAM.

If the bandwidth was increased, would it help the live video feeds.

Again, I am not ******** about the inability to view the feed, I am curious as to what it would take to improve it by getting it to more fans.

3/1/09, 12:37 PM   #2
Re: A question about USAC Video???
ClaytonYeley

I don’t know the answer to your question Bill, but I do know that it is very easy to watch IndyCar events on the internet compared to USAC events. It normally takes one try to get in the IndyCar thing. I guess they both use the IMSvideo.com deal, so it makes me think it may have something to do with location of the track. Like I said it’s just a guess.:Steer

3/1/09, 2:06 PM   #3
IndyBound

Quote:
Originally Posted by ClaytonYeley View Post
I don’t know the answer to your question Bill, but I do know that it is very easy to watch IndyCar events on the internet compared to USAC events. It normally takes one try to get in the IndyCar thing. I guess they both use the IMSvideo.com deal, so it makes me think it may have something to do with location of the track. Like I said it’s just a guess.:Steer
My first attempt at watching the USAC SC division vie video was last year at Richmond when they ran in conjunction with the Indy cars. I had no problem signing in whenever I wanted at that time. It was great coverage! Last week I didn't have to relie on video from Manzy, I was there. Wed. night I signed in without much frustration, however the video was very grainy and I could hardly hear the audio, when I tried to increase the audio the picture had a black cloud over it that I could never get rid of. Eventually I was knocked off and couldn't get back on. So Clayton & Bill, I also don't know the answer; does it have something to do with the tracks bandwith? At Richmond were they using equipment that belonged to the Indy Racing League and the equipment they brought on the Western swing prehaps not be as strong as the Indy Racing League's equipment? I am the first to admit I do not have a clue what it takes to produce video streaming of auto races. Like Bill I am not pointing the figure at any one or criticizing, I am just asking the question what does it take to make it better? Many of my friends expressed frustration when I called them from the track with updates, if they were lucky enough to get the video and audio they had no way of knowing what they were looking at, was it practice, qualifying, etc.

Patti

3/1/09, 3:25 PM   #4
Millsvideo

This is my personal opinion, no one else's. I want to make that clear. I represent nobody by myself here.

With regard to this issue, I think Louis CK sums everything up PERFECTLY in this YouTube clip...Here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yk7nKjr9Keo

It's a commentary on how we as a society take technological advances for granted.

Favorite lines are: "How quickly the world owes him something he knew existed only ten seconds ago" and "Did you partake in the miracle of human flight, you non-contributing zero?".

I believe Louis hits the nail on the head when he is appalled at the level of entitlement mankind has for things that are still in the primative stages of development. It's pretty sad how some people act when things don't go as they want.

Even if it pisses you off that I've said this, you should still check it out because it is REALLY funny. Take it light, folks.

DM
Last edited by Millsvideo; 3/1/09 at 3:30 PM.

3/1/09, 3:58 PM   #5
Scott Daloisio

NO $#!%. That is the truth Dean!

3/1/09, 4:26 PM   #6

Since the video is played on the IMS' servers and no one rarely has a problem accessing IRL broadcasts, are we to believe more people are trying to access the USAC broadcasts than the IRL broadcasts?

I would find that very hard to believe but at the same time, find it very easy to believe.

3/1/09, 4:28 PM   #7
Kevin Miller

the issue is not the track or uploading. If we have video from a track, the upload to the server is fine. The issue is multiple users watching same feed from the server. We will be discussing next week the server capacity for multiple users. It appears that the number of servers are scaled to number of users, and for cost they are only used when in demand. Apparently the server size was decreased over the winter based on no demand (no live races) and now we are working to scale up again. This is why amazon and google have millions of servers. Expect thisto be resolved by next race.

Kevin
Posted via Mobile Device

3/1/09, 4:48 PM   #8
Oakland Sprint Fan

Dirtvision doesn't seem to have any issues. Their site works fine for the past few years. I also watch Ball State Football games online and with no issues. Usac needs to step up their entire website. They haven't even updated points since the Manzy race which was one week ago!

3/1/09, 4:56 PM   #9
D.O.

Thank You !
:cheers

3/1/09, 4:58 PM   #10
Bill Gardner
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakland Sprint Fan View Post
Dirtvision doesn't seem to have any issues. Their site works fine for the past few years. I also watch Ball State Football games online and with no issues. Usac needs to step up their entire website. They haven't even updated points since the Manzy race which was one week ago!

http://www.usacracing.com/usac_media
To sign up for USAC Racing Press Results please contact
Dick Jordan on our contact us page

You can have updated information sent directly to you. USAC has done a good job upgrading their website over the past couple of years.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A question about USAC Video???