IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Iowa Speedway Experience
8/12/08, 3:59 PM   #1
Iowa Speedway Experience
wbr

Wow- what an awesome facility.

We are a relatively new racing family but I must say we were very impressed with the Iowa Speedway and this weekends “Casey’s General Stores” 100 USAC Silver Crown race. We felt like we were at a “special event” from the moment we parked Friday night until we departed Sunday evening. The people at the truck stop outside the track were excited about the weekends racing and let us know how welcome we were in Newton. The grounds were green and groomed with everything looking spruced up to the maximum. The Iowa Speedway employees were very polite and willing to help from the guys guarding the gates to the concession workers.

Unfortunately we also got to meet the rescue crews, tow truck personnel and the medical center staff too, and like everyone else at Iowa Speedway they were very pleasant, professional and courteous. Our car made contact with the front stretch wall (THANKS SAFER BARRIER) and we are happy the driver, Jacob Wilson was unhurt and the car wasn’t hurt that bad either. The crash ended a very good run driving from 16th starting spot to 6th at lap 58 of 100.

Congrats to Cameron Dodson on the win. The track had multiple racing grooves and from where we were on pit road the race was pretty exciting to watch with lots of passing, I can’t imagine the show the folks in the stands saw.

Jacob enjoyed getting to meet the fans at the autograph session behind the grandstands; he wished every track would do that for the drivers and fans.

My dad said the breaded tenderloin was the best he had ever tasted and for $7.50 it was a real value.

We were glad to see “Mercy One” medical chopper land before the days racing started and are also happy to report the crew only got to watch some good racing and took off empty at the days end.

I can’t wait to return to Iowa Speedway next year with the USAC Silver Crown series. Iowa you have a lot to be proud of with Iowa speedway and Casey’s General Stores.

8/12/08, 4:08 PM   #2
Re: Iowa Speedway Experience
Seadog

You sold me on it! I would like to go next year if I can find the time and money. SC pavement cars are this fans favorite.

I think in all my 54 years as a spectator, I know a good driver when I see one. And I think Jacob has what it takes to move up the ladder (if that's what he wants). You guys always have immaculate cars that are eye candy IMO. Best of luck in the future and glad Jacob didn't get hurt.:thumb

P.S. Thank you for starting such a positive thread. It feels good.

8/12/08, 7:40 PM   #3
Ovalmeister

Didn't get the chance to go for the SC race, but my daughter and I went to the Indy car race there in June. You're right, great facility and had a great time. Highly recommend to anyone....try to catch a race there, good times! :thumb
David.

8/12/08, 7:53 PM   #4
raceway video

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seadog View Post

P.S. Thank you for starting such a positive thread. It feels good.
I second that whole heartly. Thanks for sharing your up-beat views.

8/12/08, 8:19 PM   #5
RACEMS41

What was the crowd like?

8/12/08, 9:18 PM   #6
Honest-Sam

Hey Mark, the only thing you guys missed out on was the "garage area" experience. Maybe next time.:wink

I thought the size of the crowd was pretty decent. Hard to gauge sometimes. When you have HUGE grandstands, like at Iowa and Richmond, the crowd LOOKS small because they're so spread out, but I think if you added 'em all up, it would be pretty respectable.:thumb

8/12/08, 9:51 PM   #7
cabjr111

Iowa Speedway is a great track for the Silver Crown cars. I also liked the format: practice,qualify, and race without having to move off of pit road. We were having fun!

8/12/08, 10:18 PM   #8
wbr

Thanks guys, its my pleasure to report about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RACEMS41 View Post
What was the crowd like?
From their website: The 20-year-old Indiana driver took the lead on lap 63 and stayed out front the rest of the way in his Carl Edwards-owned, Yates Ford-powered Silver Crown car with an announced estimated paid crowd of 8,872.

That would equate to 10,000+ fans in the stands and they had a blast if the sampling we spoke with represented the whole.

We stayed and watched the sports cars out of curiosity and judging from the people in the parking lots tailgating during that race, I would guess the majority of fans were there for the open wheel race. The sports cars were ok to watch but without knowing any drivers or teams it didn't hold our attention like it could have. We tried to talk Brian Tyler into entering his Toyota Prius rental car in the slower class but he couldn't find any numbers to stick on the car.:O:

Oh and I forgot to mention the concert they had between the 2 races, there were people that came out just for it and happened to enjoy the racing too. :applaud: We missed that part due to loading up the rig for the trip home.

8/12/08, 10:25 PM   #9
Honest-Sam

Quote:
Originally Posted by cabjr111 View Post
Iowa Speedway is a great track for the Silver Crown cars. I also liked the format: practice,qualify, and race without having to move off of pit road. We were having fun!
Abolutely right Clinton.:thumb I forgot about that.:doh: It was EXTEMELY cool to not have to go back and forth, ala Richmond. Who's car were you on?

8/12/08, 10:26 PM   #10
Joey Woods

[QUOTE=wbr;57390]Wow- what an awesome facility.

We are a relatively new racing family

Just curious, but how new?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Iowa Speedway Experience