Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prayers For Carson
6/12/23, 4:52 PM   #21
Re: Prayers For Carson
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 4
Race Count Last Year: 22

Quote:
Originally Posted by cornerthree View Post
Saw a video from the infield after the fire was out. Had to be 20 members of the safety crew around the car. And not one could cut the belts, someone ran into the pits to get something. I couldn't believe they didn't have anything all EMT have one on their belt.
If you watch Sweet, he was making cutting motions with his hands while yelling.

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, racenut69
6/12/23, 5:30 PM   #22
Dale

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jonr View Post
I am not going to argue the point because I believe the same thing that you do. There are way too many tracks where fire safety is a joke. However, are you willing to pay $5 to $10 dollars more per show to pay for the traveling fire protection crew?

While there are some shows that are repeated money makers, there are plenty of shows where the promoters loose money. If we are going to increase the cost to produce the shows, we need to realize that the cost has to be passed on to someone.
Yes.

1 member likes this post: ginblueearth
6/12/23, 5:46 PM   #23
Rpracing1

Should not have to cut belts, but if you do, should have tool handy on all safety vehicles to do so if necessary.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, Chief Wahoo, luckybuc97, racenut69
6/13/23, 10:50 PM   #24
ginblueearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Should not have to cut belts, but if you do, should have tool handy on all safety vehicles to do so if necessary.
Yeah, I can't understand why they couldn't get his harnesses undone. But they should have had something to cut the belts if that was the case. And I don't understand why nobody had that either. I find it interesting that. there's still naysayers about the traveling safety teams but at least I'm not getting my ass ripped as bad as I did before when I brought up the subject and not being told it would cost $1,000,000. by some Joker I certainly think sanctioning bodies like the World of Outlaws, All Stars or USAC. Can't afford to have a traveling safety team without raising the price of tickets. That's really sad when somebody brings up. It has to be this law, and it has to be that law. Is that more important than somebody's life? And I have seen the. safety team that travels with the IRA Sprint cars. I wonder if they have to jump through all these legal hoops that the gentleman. on here was talking about or if he's just full of BS. Sorry I put it that way, but that's what it appears to me. I know there are many. pit crew people out of the World of Outlaws. that are fed up with this But out of fear of reprisal from the World of Outlaws, Are basically keeping their mouth shut? It's truly sad that it has to be that way. After seeing what happened Saturday night. the outlaws should have somebody. ready to go before. they race this weekend. or at least if I was running the World of Outlaw Group I would certainly have somebody ready to go. I would not want the death of a driver on my conscience because I. did. Not have a safety team there to protect them. We'll see if they do anything. My guess is they won't. They'll just keep pocketing the money. And not worry about the safety of their drivers. Hopefully the owners and the drivers will stand up for their safety and do something about it. If they don't, they're fools. Glen Murra

6/14/23, 7:31 AM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblueearth View Post
Yeah, I can't understand why they couldn't get his harnesses undone. But they should have had something to cut the belts if that was the case. And I don't understand why nobody had that either. I find it interesting that. there's still naysayers about the traveling safety teams but at least I'm not getting my ass ripped as bad as I did before when I brought up the subject and not being told it would cost $1,000,000. by some Joker I certainly think sanctioning bodies like the World of Outlaws, All Stars or USAC. Can't afford to have a traveling safety team without raising the price of tickets. That's really sad when somebody brings up. It has to be this law, and it has to be that law. Is that more important than somebody's life? And I have seen the. safety team that travels with the IRA Sprint cars. I wonder if they have to jump through all these legal hoops that the gentleman. on here was talking about or if he's just full of BS. Sorry I put it that way, but that's what it appears to me. I know there are many. pit crew people out of the World of Outlaws. that are fed up with this But out of fear of reprisal from the World of Outlaws, Are basically keeping their mouth shut? It's truly sad that it has to be that way. After seeing what happened Saturday night. the outlaws should have somebody. ready to go before. they race this weekend. or at least if I was running the World of Outlaw Group I would certainly have somebody ready to go. I would not want the death of a driver on my conscience because I. did. Not have a safety team there to protect them. We'll see if they do anything. My guess is they won't. They'll just keep pocketing the money. And not worry about the safety of their drivers. Hopefully the owners and the drivers will stand up for their safety and do something about it. If they don't, they're fools. Glen Murra
You know they could easily meat in the middle. WOO and ALL Stars both have traveling officials that utilize SxS or 4 wheelers. I watch more all stars than WOO, but those officials are in what appears to be fire suites (I'm sure they are the lowest level). I think you could have a custom box on a sxs with some tools in it. Probably mount 2 large water fire extinguishers on there. If you go back and watch the video there is a sxs from the infield at the car before the field stops rolling (not sure if that was WOO or Track equipment). Reaction time was good.

Now on the bad side of things. The safety side is much more than just having a trained team. That team comes with alot of liability. You have to remember series like WOO run over 80 nights per year. When talking about travel you can easily double that number. once you commit to having a team like that, you have to fully staff it with trained team members.

2 members like this post: Daisy's dad, flagboy55
6/14/23, 8:26 AM   #26
flagboy55

I don’t know what the answers are, but like plenty of you have brought up, and implied by 767 in the last post, lawyers are probably part of the reason why this has not already been addressed

2 members like this post: 767, Daisy's dad
6/14/23, 9:21 AM   #27
stp6237

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 11

It all comes down to what are the requirements to get insurance coverage. When I worked with ARDC we raced at a few tracks in the south. At one track I was told that we could run our warmup/practice after one of their late model divisions. When I noted I did not see an ambulance or fire truck at the track I was informed they were not required until the races began. When I asked about what were the late model doing running at speed I was told they were "practicing, not racing." Needless to say we did not "practice" or race until the required equipment was present. If I remember correctly a USAC Eastern Storm event was delayed until an EMT that was certified to perform a certain task was present, I am not sure if I am 100% correct on that, but I kind of recall something like that happening. Many have expressed that thank goodness that this accident happened at Knoxville and not at some other track. Could the speed the cars reach at Knoxville and not at other track have any influence on how the event unfolded. The State Police regulate racing in New Jersey. You can bet that this issue with the fire bottle becoming dislodged is being looked at by NJSP.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
6/14/23, 12:58 PM   #28
flagboy55

Saw a post that implied Carson will be back in the saddle this weekend. Has anyone else heard this? Absolutely wonderful news if true

1 member likes this post: luckybuc97
6/14/23, 8:30 PM   #29
Puppy

If the fire is too hot to undo the belts, its too hot to reach in and start cutting. Have YOU ever tried to undo someone's belts while standing in fire? Listen to what Sweet said, it was just too hot.... Besides, do you want someone that is on fire reaching around your groin area trying to snip things real fast??? I think not!!!!
Last edited by Puppy; 6/14/23 at 8:31 PM.

6/15/23, 9:41 AM   #30
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Saw a post that implied Carson will be back in the saddle this weekend. Has anyone else heard this? Absolutely wonderful news if true
There was a picture on Twitter with him at the shop with his helmet on. It gave some vague comment that he was getting ready to come back. It was on the Jason Johnson Racing Twitter feed.

2 members like this post: Bostonian, flagboy55
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prayers For Carson