IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Canyon Raceway Park Closes
2/16/19, 5:44 PM   #1
Canyon Raceway Park Closes
Vookie

https://www.canyonspeedwaypark.com

3 members like this post: jim goerge, TNRustler, tqracer53
2/17/19, 3:29 PM   #2
Re: Canyon Raceway Park Closes
RockinRy

Race Count This Year: 12

Such a bummer. . . It was so cool to have one track on each side of Phoenix (NW and SE).
I'll keep hope that the track next to Lake Pleasant can be saved.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/18/19, 4:37 PM   #3
Stealth87

Such a sad deal. I will actually be down in Phoenix visiting family when CRA/USAC Southwest was going to run on the 8th and 9th of March. I will hold out hope that another track in the area will pick up that show that weekend. Paging Kevin Montgomery

1 member likes this post: RockinRy
2/19/19, 1:22 PM   #4
Rick Eaton

From SCRAFAN.com:

The March 8th & 9th "Spring Showcase" at Canyon Speedway Park featuring the AMSOIL USAC/CRA Sprint Cars IS STILL ON! We hope to see you there.

4 members like this post: AustinSprinter, crow, dirtnonwingfan, RockinRy
2/20/19, 2:40 AM   #5
Canyon Speedway Park Suspends Sched.!!...But
AustinSprinter

Race Count This Year: (22)
Race Count Last Year: (29)

…But that was only a Temporary deal...Looks like We're NOW back (RACING) in NW Valley of 2/19/19!!.. Beginning with USAC S/W & USAC/CRA Combined 410 Series Mar. 8 & 9..Plus other Div. that had been Prev. Sched.!!...thanks to CSP, Doug Gabbard n his whole Crew!!..

Last edited by AustinSprinter; 2/21/19 at 4:29 PM. Reason: Added Info...

1 member likes this post: RockinRy
2/20/19, 1:35 PM   #6
Re: Canyon Speedway Park Closes!!...But
RockinRy

Race Count This Year: 12

2019 SEASON TO RESUME IN MARCH AT CSP

Doug Gabbard, Peoria, Ariz. (Feb 19, 2019) – Our racing community is so remarkable when it comes down to it. Teams may be as competitive as they can be on the track, but off the track, the amount of kindness and generosity extended to my family was simply overwhelming! I can tell you first-hand that our racing community in Arizona is as strong as it has ever been.

I would like to address personally some of the many questions sent to us directly as well as publicly placed. The temporary closure of Canyon was just that; temporary. Our press release putting the season “on hold” last week was never meant to be an obituary of CSP. A boiling point was reached for myself, my family and our staff. This was not due to social media, low car counts or financial issues as assumed by many. This was due to a look inwards, at the current state of our facility.

After the first few races of the year, I saw clearly that changes needed to be put into place. I made the decision to take the time necessary to improve what needed to be improved upon. The time for waiting was over. A few instances of the changes taking place would be anywhere from the surface of our racetrack down to the lighting and sound in the pits, among other things.

When we first made this announcement, the expected down time was much greater than what we are currently facing. The sheer amount of effort and time needed to take on these tasks were enough to assume the worst when we initially looked into how many races we would miss. However, as mentioned at the beginning of this letter, the community came out swinging. With the help of so many people, we now expect to be back in action for our Spring Showcase, possibly our biggest event of the year.

I want to make it clear that our number one goal is to put on an entertaining product for our outstanding fans. Beyond this, we want our drivers to feel we respect them enough to give them not just a facility they can be proud of, but a facility they feel safe at. For those reasons, we thought it was in our best interest to go dark. We would like to apologize to those who had an event cancelled during this down time. We hope you all will be able to attend or participate in a race at our track soon so you can see the results of our hard work during this time we took off.

I've got to extend my personal gratitude to our leaders like Steve Kapaun, Jim Stennard, Steve Moriarty, Chris Kearns and Jonah Trussel. These guys all stepped up to the plate for us. We are very lucky to have each and every one of them representing racing in the valley of the sun.

Other community members like Tony Steele, Dan Steffey, Scott Batten, Andy Critser and John Brinkley are all instrumental in our immediate return to action.

On behalf of our amazing staff at CSP, we look forward to our 2019 Spring Showcase Season Opener featuring the Amsoil USAC SW/CRA non-wing 410ci sprint cars, IMCA Modifieds, IMCA Northern Sport Mods, IMCA Stock Cars and Winged AZ Micro Sprints on the big track.

Thank you all for reaching out during this time. We hope to see you soon.

- Doug Gabbard

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Canyon Raceway Park Closes