IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Halibrand wheel info needed
8/12/10, 4:28 PM   #1
Halibrand wheel info needed
cars5752

Attached is a photo of a Halibrand wheel, 2 of which are on an older sprinter I'm refurbishing. I was hoping to get some info on this particular wheel. It is made to where the wheel pins slide in the backside. No pressure plate is needed. This particular wheel, (2 came on the car -- rear), is marked 10.00 x 15 and also on one of the spokes it reads 3.4 - 4.4 off. It also has a number on it reading -31A. The small section I sanded on is stamped 69125. This wheel also has stamped in it the name R C Cecil. Don't know it this was a former owner??? I understand the sizes and offset numbers, just wondering what some of the other numbers mean. Would like to find a matching set, smaller width, to place on the front, but I don't ever recall seeing this particular type. Any info sure appreciated. Thanks, Dave
Attached Images
Halibr wheel.jpg (276.3 KB, 106 views)

8/12/10, 6:25 PM   #2
Re: Halibrand wheel info needed
mac miller

Your wheel is a late60s/early70s front Indy car wheel used mostly on American built cars such as Gerhardt, Brawner, Gilbert and Granatelli. (The euro built cars used euro made wheels.)

The 3.4-4.4 off. is the back spacing of the wheel from the edge of the rim to the hub. That wheel casting can probably be machined for back spacing from 3.4 inches to 4.4 inches depending on what the customer ordered. Measure your wheels and see if I'm right.

Not sure what -31A means...... maybe a mold id number????

The number 69125 is the wheel serial no. 69 is the year it was made and it was the 125th wheel made that year. Your other wheel should have a different number.

The wheel, apparently, belonged to Dick Cecil who had a George Morris built Indy chassis back in the mid to late 60s.

mac miller in INDY
Last edited by mac miller; 8/12/10 at 6:32 PM.

1 member likes this post: leonhaupt
8/12/10, 9:47 PM   #3
cars5752

Mac, many thanks for the great info. Last evening I was reading some of your info on Halibrand wheels, but I had never seen anything that matched the two of mine. Obviously with this info, I know I'll never find a smaller wheel for the front of my sprinter, with this being the front wheel on an Indy car. I'll have to search for a correct set of wheels for the 72 Shores car I'm working on. Again thank you for the answer. --- Dave Hatcher

2/15/11, 10:14 PM   #4
wbjrace

Quote:
Originally Posted by cars5752 View Post
Attached is a photo of a Halibrand wheel, 2 of which are on an older sprinter I'm refurbishing. I was hoping to get some info on this particular wheel. It is made to where the wheel pins slide in the backside. No pressure plate is needed. This particular wheel, (2 came on the car -- rear), is marked 10.00 x 15 and also on one of the spokes it reads 3.4 - 4.4 off. It also has a number on it reading -31A. The small section I sanded on is stamped 69125. This wheel also has stamped in it the name R C Cecil. Don't know it this was a former owner??? I understand the sizes and offset numbers, just wondering what some of the other numbers mean. Would like to find a matching set, smaller width, to place on the front, but I don't ever recall seeing this particular type. Any info sure appreciated. Thanks, Dave
These rims were seen on GT40s and Cobra cars among other sports racing cars. The pins were shorter than INDY, and Sprint cars and didn't come through the rim.

2/16/11, 12:25 PM   #5
racerjim2

Hey Dave, just put some steel wheels on the sprinter and sell those 2 Indy rims for some big bucks.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Halibrand wheel info needed