IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Devil’s Bowl closing
10/13/23, 8:21 PM   #1
Devil’s Bowl closing
openwheelfan1

Another iconic speedway has announced it’s closing. Devil’s Bowl Speedway announced this morning that next weekends WoO programs will be its last nights of racing. The property has been sold and will be closed.

Such a shame!

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, interpreter66, mlamb
10/13/23, 8:31 PM   #2
Jerry Shaw

One thing that terrible situation is missing will be the perspective of the late Bobby Marshall. Nobody was any more synonymous with Devil’s Bowl Speedway than this great driver and beloved racing social media personality.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

10/13/23, 9:29 PM   #3
mlamb

Late 80s thru mid 90s I used to make two trips annually to Devils Bowl Speedway. Always started the racing year at the WoO Spring Ntls in March and ended the year at their WoO Winter Ntls in October. These events used to always draw 50+ cars.
Three names will always be synonymous with Devils Bowl Speedway IMO, the late great Lanny Edwards, Ted Johnson and Jack Miller.
I’d met lots of great racing friends and had many lifetime memories at the Mesquite speed plant. Like I-30 speedway, Devils Bowl thanks for the memories .

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Jerry Shaw, oppweld
10/14/23, 1:04 PM   #4
Terry Porter

Well that sucks. I’ve been going to the bowl since before the WoO existed. I will say over the last few years the racing hasn’t been good, but still made it out every year for some of the races.

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, erich45, flagboy55, luckybuc97, mlamb, oppweld
10/14/23, 2:36 PM   #5
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

I worked security there during the 2000 season. Hate to these historic tracks go by the wayside.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, mlamb
10/14/23, 5:28 PM   #6
motorhead748

I’ve been wanting to go there just because I’ve never been. Pretty good chance I hop on my bike & ride down next week
Last edited by motorhead748; 10/15/23 at 6:05 AM.

5 members like this post: azsprintfan1, BrentTFunk, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69
10/17/23, 5:35 PM   #7
Re: Devil’s Bowl closing
WinglessLovers

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 85

Quote:
Originally Posted by openwheelfan1 View Post
Another iconic speedway has announced it’s closing. Devil’s Bowl Speedway announced this morning that next weekends WoO programs will be its last nights of racing. The property has been sold and will be closed.

Such a shame!
Had heard the rumors since last year but it finally is taking place. We never made it down there as we tried with USAC twice but both trips were washed out. It is a shame!!

Bruce and Pat Eckel

10/17/23, 6:17 PM   #8
BrentTFunk

Was lucky enough to get there in the 90's. The clay reminded of the gray modeling clay we had in kindergarten. Race tracks need us. Support all of them when you can. I guarantee you the people who complained about the place the most, will be the ones who complain they miss it.

3 members like this post: Grocery Guy, Ilovedirttrackracing, WinglessLovers
10/18/23, 12:34 PM   #9
cmakin

Here are photos of the final USAC show on the historic track. https://manvelmotorsports.smugmug.co...eptember-2023/

10/18/23, 6:32 PM   #10
Grocery Guy

Race Count This Year: 6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmakin View Post
Here are photos of the final USAC show on the historic track. https://manvelmotorsports.smugmug.co...eptember-2023/
Those are incredibly crystal-clear photos. Thank you for sharing!

2 members like this post: Ilovedirttrackracing, racenut69
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Devil’s Bowl closing