IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Drivers getting hurt
8/3/18, 2:17 AM   #1
Drivers getting hurt
Bad Dad 54

Ok people, seen enough drivers get hurt already this yr, see a lot of you doorknobs wearing a T-shirt under your firesuit, YOU'RE ASKING FOR IT. The suit stops the flames but not the heat, it will make it's way through the suit & when it hits that sweat
soaked t-shirt you're gonna boil like a lobster. Look at your family for a while, then look at your safety equipment is it good or just good enough, it better be good. Burns leave scar tissue, not skin & it breaks open easily, a friend was severely burned in a Silver Crown race, he had the best fire retardant equipment he could buy. Last I knew he's had 13 surgeries on his hands alone. Ignorance means you didn't know, STUPID means you knew but did it anyways, don't be stupid

8/3/18, 9:23 AM   #2
Re: Drivers getting hurt
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

I was told by Carbon-X that if you don't need the SFI rating, buy these. They are made with the same fabric as standard racing SFI carbon x but they are NOT SFI rated. Being SFI rated raises the cost as each tag costs them money. They just pass it along. These are specifically made for FireFighters.

$60 for pants
https://www.magidglove.com/CarbonX-C...nts-CX55L.aspx

$60 for shirts
https://www.magidglove.com/CarbonX-C...irt-CX54L.aspx

$35 for hoods
https://www.magidglove.com/PGI-Carbo...d-3029298.aspx

$21 for socks
https://www.magidglove.com/CarbonX-C...rew-Socks.aspx

I have two full sets and I know a few other drivers that have a few sets.

8/3/18, 9:32 AM   #3
Jcpelly

So here is my question. I wear SFI underwear/shirt but that thing is soaking wet with sweat by the end of the race so how is that going to protect me from heat transfer to the skin? 80-90 degrees outside, sun hitting you, confined space, wearing basically a snowmobile suit as far as how hot a 2 layer suit is. Anything under there is going to be soaked with sweat.

4 members like this post: Cage Faraday, Can26, tirespinner, Unlucky#9
8/3/18, 11:32 AM   #4
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jcpelly View Post
So here is my question. I wear SFI underwear/shirt but that thing is soaking wet with sweat by the end of the race so how is that going to protect me from heat transfer to the skin? 80-90 degrees outside, sun hitting you, confined space, wearing basically a snowmobile suit as far as how hot a 2 layer suit is. Anything under there is going to be soaked with sweat.
Check this out.

Nomex vs CarbonX.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F45DzLUNSpc

The idea of CarbonX is that it is heat resistant. Found this on their website:

CarbonX heat resistant clothing offers the best level of fire and heat protection in fire resistant clothing in the most extreme conditions. Based on patented blends of oxidized fibers, CarbonX is the only fabric able to withstand the direct flame of a blow torch without melting, igniting, or burning—even when exposed to the flame for up to 20 times longer than the leading competition.

At the PRI show, they demonstrate with a small blow torch and the guy's hand on the other side. The heat doesn't come through and burn his hand. All while the Nomex melts.

3 members like this post: EBookerFan, jim goerge, tirespinner
8/3/18, 1:02 PM   #5
Backitin

I haven't been paying a lot of attention, has there been a uptick in burn injuries this year ?
I'm more then happy with todays safety standards and the way racers are protected . I've seen a bunch of guys get burnt up while racing with 50 gallons of fuel in two separate standard car tanks just barely strapped in wearing ONLY teeshirts. I don't lose much sleep worrying for the drivers of today with fuel cells, fire suits and anti fire tech. Yep bad stuff still happens, but don't be scared the guys who race are not nor are they stupid as a whole.
I believe not having better fire fighting equipment and more people instructed in its proper use at the tracks is something more frightening if you really need a reason to be concerned. Also take off some of the bodywork so that the fire equipment can work, especially for mods and late models. Get either one of those on fire especially upside down and your done.

8/4/18, 2:38 PM   #6
Cage Faraday

Why is it whenever I watch a OW racing video and they have a cam mounted in tank area of sprinter, I can see fuel leaking all over the place? Watched a Dirty 30 vid from the PAS out the back of Robert Ballou's car and fuel is going everywhere... Is this normal?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
8/4/18, 2:48 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Anyone see that Nitro Funny car blow up and fire from friday's qualifying.

Driver got out and his suit was still steaming as they walked up to him. He appeared unhurt. But that was a blaze.

1 member likes this post: mscs20
8/4/18, 5:21 PM   #8
B99

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bad Dad 54 View Post
Ok people, seen enough drivers get hurt already this yr, see a lot of you doorknobs wearing a T-shirt under your firesuit, YOU'RE ASKING FOR IT. The suit stops the flames but not the heat, it will make it's way through the suit & when it hits that sweat
soaked t-shirt you're gonna boil like a lobster. Look at your family for a while, then look at your safety equipment is it good or just good enough, it better be good. Burns leave scar tissue, not skin & it breaks open easily, a friend was severely burned in a Silver Crown race, he had the best fire retardant equipment he could buy. Last I knew he's had 13 surgeries on his hands alone. Ignorance means you didn't know, STUPID means you knew but did it anyways, don't be stupid
I understand your safety concerns, but perhaps you could elaborate on who and when. Because if there was a Silver Crown driver that severely burned in the last several years, during a Silver Crown race, it's news to me....So who was it and when?

8/4/18, 5:29 PM   #9
PIT CART

The last person I can think of was hot rod at Lakeland. That has been a few years ago. He had some pretty bad burns on his legs and in his lungs. Glad he made a good recovery.

1 member likes this post: mscs20
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Drivers getting hurt