IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is This Year The End Of The Syracuse Moody Mile?
3/5/15, 2:05 AM   #1
Is This Year The End Of The Syracuse Moody Mile?
ISF

http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index....on_rethin.html

I sure hope there are enough people in the State of New York to stop this from happening. Sadly it seems inevitable that we're going to lose one America's 4 remaining 1 mile dirt tracks still being used for auto racing.

I honestly believe this could happen here in The Land O' Lincoln and crooked politicians.

As racing enthusiasts it's imperative that we support all racetracks, but especially the 1 mile dirt tracks. If I sound overly passionate about this it's because I am!!

News like this saddens me to the core.
Last edited by ISF; 3/5/15 at 4:59 PM.

3/5/15, 8:39 AM   #2
CTtoPA

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 4

I happened to be passing through to my father-in-law's house in Syracuse(close enough to hear the track) so I caught the Silver Crown race. Turned into a really good race the last 1/4. It's a great series if people are willing to be patient and observe strategy. Unfortunately people want instant gratification and slicing and dicing for the entire race

1 member likes this post: groove grabber
3/5/15, 4:24 PM   #3
Re: Is This Year The End Of The Syracuse Moody Mile?
JJMooney

I couldn’t get the link to work in the first post. Try this link:
Mahoney sees new heart of NYS Fair: Farewell to 'Moody Mile,' hello Main Street by the midway?
http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index....on_rethin.html

Another story...
Super DIRT Week CEO says this year's event will be at fairgrounds. After that? He isn't sure
http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index...._story_package

In a nutshell: There's a plan afoot to build a new amphitheater on the shore of nearby Onondaga Lake which is right next to the fairgrounds. All of the concerts held during the fair would be moved from the fair grandstand to this new amphitheater. After the ampitheater is built, the fair grandstand would be torn down which would mean no more racing on the Mile.

It'll be real interesting to see how this amptheater flies. It's supposedly a done deal. In my opinion, it's a big mistake. Anyone who's familiar with the area knows that Onondaga Lake is the most polluted lake in the US. Industrial waste and raw sewage were dumped into the lake for decades. It smells. Bad. Not to mention, there's a pervassive chemical odor that's always in the air due to the heavy industry in nearby Solvay. I can't imagine someone packing their wine and cheese and sitting outside to listen to James Taylor with the double-whammy of chemical smell and mercury contaminated dead fish wafting over you.

3/5/15, 4:50 PM   #4
PJ Wright

Having lived in New York for 18 years I can say that if an idea defies logic it will most likely be embraced by the politicians.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

4 members like this post: Bostonian, flatout, ISF, racephoto1
3/5/15, 5:01 PM   #5
ISF

http://www.syracuse.com/kirst/index....dirt_week.html

This is the response from the CEO of the WRG.

3/6/15, 9:16 AM   #6
flatout

Leave it to a politician to kill a major money maker for the entire area. Not to mention the history and tradition. At least the Silver Crown cars made it there last fall.

3/6/15, 10:04 AM   #7
JJMooney

If interested in helping to save racing on the Moody Mile, sign this petition to keep the grandstands and the track at the New York State Fairgrounds intact. Many from outside the state have signed it. You don't have to be a resident of NY:
https://www.change.org/p/joanie-maho...t-racing-event

1 member likes this post: PJ Wright
3/8/15, 12:26 AM   #8
fish

Quote:
Originally Posted by JJMooney View Post
In a nutshell: There's a plan afoot to build a new amphitheater on the shore of nearby Onondaga Lake which is right next to the fairgrounds.
Why is it there always seems to be money to build a new stadium or amphitheater but a new short track is rare?

3/8/15, 8:48 AM   #9
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatout View Post
Leave it to a politician to kill a major money maker for the entire area. Not to mention the history and tradition. At least the Silver Crown cars made it there last fall.
As much as I would like to see the mile survive, money wise, the new plan would make more money. I wish that always wasn't the bottom line.

3/8/15, 8:49 AM   #10
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
Why is it there always seems to be money to build a new stadium or amphitheater but a new short track is rare?
If more people attended short tracks, it would help. I was at several races this year, where it was obvious the promoters took a big loss.

1 member likes this post: fish
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Is This Year The End Of The Syracuse Moody Mile?