IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gloomy Gus post
3/30/20, 9:31 AM   #1
Gloomy Gus post
mc/rider

Race Count This Year: 42

Im thinking the fall out from this quarantine is when the racing season finally starts a number of race teams (and fans) may not be able to answer the bell do to financial situations.Car counts and race fan attendance might be lacking into the 2021 season

3/30/20, 9:39 AM   #2
Re: Gloomy Gus post
The Old Coyote

I hate to say it, Abe, but I think you may be correct. The damage this has done to our society will have lingering effects. Just think about mundane things as shaking hands and hugging loved ones.

3/30/20, 11:41 AM   #3
jonboat15

I don't want to think about 2021. I don't care to watch I racing. I'm hoping we see some races starting in May. I guess most of the teams are race ready and chomping at the bit. Hopefully this delay means more teams will have fresher equipment at the end of the season. I think some parts of the country will extend their racing seasons if things go well. Trying not to be gloomy but it aint easy.

3/30/20, 1:53 PM   #4
Chief Wahoo

Race Count This Year: 1
Race Count Last Year: 22

Well I for one will be there supporting the tracks I normally attend as well as supporting the beer stand at Lincoln Park. Let’s just hope by May we will all have dirt on our beer and nachos.

3/30/20, 2:24 PM   #5
axman897

I'm hopeful we will have the dirt flying come the middle of May or the beginning of June. We need to stay positive and have some hope. Once we get through this, I have a feeling it might make us support the sport we love that much more. Cheers and let's hope we will be "air cheersing" each other in the stands very soon.

3/30/20, 3:21 PM   #6
PJ Wright

Quote:
Originally Posted by mc/rider View Post
Im thinking the fall out from this quarantine is when the racing season finally starts a number of race teams (and fans) may not be able to answer the bell do to financial situations.Car counts and race fan attendance might be lacking into the 2021 season
Thinking about the number of small businesses that sponsor racers who, even if they survive this, will not be able to continue their support.
You laugh because I'm different. I laugh because you're all the same. Copied from the back of the #16 supermodified.

3/30/20, 3:29 PM   #7
Will Shunk

I am a silver lining kind of person. This is tough now but out of work will receive unemployment insurance from their state, supported by the Fed 2 trillion bailout. Fans will receive a bailout stimulus check. I for one will economize so that check can help fund racing attendance in 2020. I have learned through this that I do some unwise spending on things that really do not matter that much to me. Just poor spending habits and racing will be my #1 focus for any extra cash. Team perspective might be they do not have travel and crash damage costs for 2 months. There could be a refocus on racing closer to home which will be a plus for many of us who stay local weekly. 2020 will be different but hopefully positive for all of us in ways we never thought of before. Stay safe. See you at a track soon.

3/30/20, 3:40 PM   #8
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

My guess is the Paragon opener on 1 May. USAC will be on the road but Paragon puts on a great show with plenty of cars. I got in a half dozen races in Florida (including the famous flying mini stocker that dive bombed the sitting pace car at Citrus Co, the USAC Sprints/Midgets, and a Late Model race at East Bay) but I'm ready for some Indiana Racin'!!

3/31/20, 9:01 AM   #9
opnwhlmnd

Don't think we will see USAC sprints at Lakeside or Pevely in early May. Missouri extended the no gathering order through April and are considering making it through May.

Hope I am wrong but I think the first USAC race we see is Midget Week. Can't see USAC making sprint teams tow to Minnesota in late May to continue the season.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
3/31/20, 9:17 AM   #10
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

What those of us who can, need to get out and support the tracks and small local business. We the working folk and race fans need to be stronger now then ever. Weather the storm and when it's over get out and help rebuild! It's what our parents and grandparents did after WWII! We can do it too!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gloomy Gus post