IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 64th FINAL Hoosier 100 USAC Champ Cars &Mods @Indy Mile 5/23
5/19/19, 10:49 PM   #11
ThrowbackRacingTeam

A rain date for this is a must. May I suggest bumping carb night Friday night or running Saturday afternoon. Saw this race on Saturday afternoon once and the crowd was great. Sunday night might work too. We can not let this race fall to rain.

3 members like this post: 2fast4u, jdull99, speed bump
5/20/19, 10:21 PM   #12
Re: 64th FINAL Hoosier 100 USAC Champ Cars &Mods @Indy Mile
TEI PR

A heads up for this year regarding parking. We have no control over this but we would like our fans to be informed so there is no surprise. Thank you to everyone who supports one of the premier events in Indiana dirt track racing, the Hoosier Hundred. We look forward to putting on another fantastic show this May as a part of The Week of Indy!

https://www.indystar.com/story/news/...19/2461896002/

1 member likes this post: EBookerFan
5/20/19, 10:28 PM   #13
TEI PR

HOOSIER HUNDRED SOUVENIR PROGRAM AVAILABLE ON RACEDAY

Indianapolis, Ind. (May 20, 2019)………A Hoosier Hundred souvenir program/retrospective will go on sale this Thursday, May 23, at the 64th and final edition of the prestigious USAC Silver Crown Champ Car Series event at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

The 24-page booklet features recaps of all 63 previous Hoosier Hundreds ran, plus historic photos from the grand race dating from the 1950s to present, a myriad of statistics, and an introspective look at the Hoosier Hundred through the eyes of those who’ve lived and worked at the Hoosier Hundred over the years, including four-time winner Kody Swanson, announcer Dr. Pat Sullivan, as well as USAC Media’s Dick Jordan and Richie Murray.

The program will be on sale at the USAC Merchandise Trailer located underneath the main grandstands at Thursday’s Hoosier Hundred for just $5. A limited supply will be available, so don’t miss out on your chance to own a piece of history.

"Hoosier Hundred" activities get underway with pits opening at noon eastern, grandstands at 3pm, drivers meeting at 4pm and practice from 4:45-6pm, with qualifications and racing to immediately follow. Tickets are $25 for advance adult general admission and $30 the day of the event. Infield tickets are $20, while general admission for children 11 and under is $10. Pit passes are $30 for members and $35 for non-members.

A great deal is available for those who don't want to miss a single lap of "The Week of Indy.” A Superticket is being sold for a savings of 25% off of the regular three-day prices for the Wednesday, May 22 “Tony Hulman Classic” for USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Cars at the Terre Haute Action Track, the Thursday, May 23 “Hoosier Hundred” for USAC Silver Crown at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and on Friday, May 24 for the Dave Steele “Carb Night Classic” Silver Crown race at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis.

For just $60, a savings of $20, a fan will receive general admission at Terre Haute and Lucas Oil Raceway as well as a reserved seat for the Hoosier Hundred. To purchase a Superticket, visit https://usacracing.ticketspice.com/2...y-ticket-sales.

For more information on any of the events, visit http://www.trackenterprises.com/, http://www.usacracing.com/, or call the Track Enterprises office at 217-764-3200.

5/20/19, 10:28 PM   #14
TEI PR

A HOOSIER HUNDRED LIFE LESSON

By: Richie Murray – USAC Media

(Part 1 of 4 in a series of introspective short stories from the Hoosier Hundred)

Indianapolis, Indiana (May 20, 2019)………In the hustle and bustle of working in auto racing, or life in general, sometimes it’s easy to get caught up in the next thing on the agenda. What do I have to do? Where am I going?

When do I need to be there? Sometimes that makes it easy to forget to stop and smell the roses, as they say, to enjoy the moment as its presented to you without any conditions.

That moment came for me in 2015. I was in my first full year working for USAC. In the midst of running from the USAC hauler to print more driver rosters and run them to the merchandise trailer, take photos, update social media, collect a few transponders, troubleshoot the video board, talk to teams who have questions about their Gerhardt starters (not in my realm), make sure the announcers have all the info they need, plus about 20 other things, I was sweating, stressed and, basically, running myself ragged.

I was hoping to have all this done prior to driver introductions, so I could grab a water, hit the bathroom one last time, grab my laptop and head into the covered grandstands to watch the race. As my eyes were darting and legs moving in opposite directions like a chicken with its head cut off, I heard the familiar voice of my mentor and friend, Dick Jordan, from the main stage on the front straightaway.

What he told me still resonates with me today, and every time, when I walk into or even drive by the Indiana State Fairgrounds. He turned to me and said, “Helluva deal. Remember this day. Now you can always say you’ve worked at the Hoosier Hundred.”

Immediately, everything around me began to slow down. As I finally turned my head and focused my eyes, I saw a full field of the most beautiful racecars on the planet, lined up and gridded on the front straightaway in anticipation for 100 miles. I glanced up into the crowd and saw where I once sat to watch the Hoosier Hundred year-after-year, dreaming that I could be standing down where I was standing at that exact moment.

Moments later, a booming voice came over the P.A. system, announcing driver introductions. This is the moment where I probably would’ve been sprinting like an Olympian through the infield, clipboard in hand, with tunnel-vision, completely focused on the next task I had to complete. Instead, I stood at the stage and took a few moments to enjoy a trip that took me back to my time as a kid watching my racing heroes from afar.

Instantly, seemingly every moment I’d ever seen at the one-mile dirt oval came back in a flood, as I transfixed my eyes on the front straightaway. I thought about one of my earliest memories, riding with my Dad and his friend while I sat in the bed of a pickup truck as they drove into the infield to witness the 1990 Hoosier Hundred. For the race, they had a lawn chair set up for me in the bed of the truck so that I had more of an eagle’s eye view of the on-track happenings.

Apparently, at one point, the excitement overwhelmed my four-year-old self, and the chair and I both fell over with a mighty crash in the back of that truck. This necessitated the first red flag ever caused by me, or so I thought. As I lied face first on the truck’s wheel well, out of my peripheral vision, as it turned out, my racing hero Jack Hewitt’s car burst into flames right in front us just moments later, causing the actual, official red flag, or so I’ve been told.

When I was a child, my bookshelf had a number of Golden Books and Disney-themed books that I would look through every night. For one reason or another, one centerpiece that was always on that shelf was the 1986 Hoosier Hundred program with Sheldon Kinser in Bey Leyba’s No. 6 on the cover.

I know for a fact there was a time or two or twelve, I had my mom read that souvenir program from cover-to-cover to entertain me as I drifted into dreamland. I’m not sure how that particular program ended up on that bookshelf, but I bet I was the only four-year-old who knew the names Terry Kawell, Manny Rockhold and Larry Hoppes, or what Warren Mockler’s nickname was.

From that day I mentioned in 2015, moving forward, I definitely haven’t taken a Hoosier Hundred for granted. Any moment you have in life, good, bad or indifferent, is fleeting. Enjoy what you have while you still have it, Hoosier Hundred or otherwise. And make sure bask in the moment of the first hot lap session, driver introductions, the start of the race and the final checkered flag. Perhaps those are the figurative roses you will take with you when you walk out the gate for the final time. If so, make sure you take the time to smell them every once in a while. I promise you won’t regret it.

"Hoosier Hundred" activities get underway with pits opening at noon eastern, grandstands at 3pm, drivers meeting at 4pm and practice from 4:45-6pm, with qualifications and racing to immediately follow. Tickets are $25 for advance adult general admission and $30 the day of the event. Infield tickets are $20, while general admission for children 11 and under is $10. Pit passes are $30 for members and $35 for non-members.

A great deal is available for those who don't want to miss a single lap of "The Week of Indy.” A Superticket is being sold for a savings of 25% off of the regular three-day prices for the Wednesday, May 22 “Tony Hulman Classic” for USAC AMSOIL National Sprint Cars at the Terre Haute Action Track, the Thursday, May 23 “Hoosier Hundred” for USAC Silver Crown at the Indiana State Fairgrounds and on Friday, May 24 for the Dave Steele “Carb Night Classic” Silver Crown race at Lucas Oil Raceway at Indianapolis.

For just $60, a savings of $20, a fan will receive general admission at Terre Haute and Lucas Oil Raceway as well as a reserved seat for the Hoosier Hundred. To purchase a Superticket, visit https://usacracing.ticketspice.com/2...y-ticket-sales.

For more information on any of the events, visit http://www.trackenterprises.com/, http://www.usacracing.com/, or call the Track Enterprises office at 217-764-3200.

5/20/19, 10:31 PM   #15
TEI PR

The DIRTcar Modifieds will have a final chance to race at the Indy Mile this coming Thursday, May 23 as part of the Hoosier 100 event. Entry form below...

Last edited by TEI PR; 5/20/19 at 10:33 PM.

2 members like this post: ChanceDHolley, EBookerFan
5/20/19, 10:40 PM   #16
TEI PR

Go check out the post at https://www.facebook.com/HoosierHund...5840904046589/ to see our Facebook contest and how you can enter to WIN FREE TICKETS!

5/21/19, 12:54 AM   #17
treecitytornado

Throwback Racing, the Hoosier Hundred ran on Saturday afternoons primarily throughout the late 80s & the 90s in August & September. 1996, was the last stand alone Hulman 100, & there wasn't a Hoosier Hundred that year, when "Ziggy," got DQed at the Hulman & A.J. cancelled the Hoosier 100. 1997 is was known as the Hulman/Hoosier 100. Not sure how many years they called it that, then just went to calling it, the Hoosier 100. I enjoyed the Hulman on many Friday nights before the 500 & the Hoosier 100 on many Saturday afternoons. In 1990, Gary Hieber got the Win & we took off for the All Star Winged Sprint show at Paragon that night. Several guys like Hewitt, Kaeding, etc., ran both races, too! Those were the good ole days!

3 members like this post: chrismattlin, EBookerFan, Racer12
5/21/19, 2:06 AM   #18
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by treecitytornado View Post
Throwback Racing, the Hoosier Hundred ran on Saturday afternoons primarily throughout the late 80s & the 90s in August & September. 1996, was the last stand alone Hulman 100, & there wasn't a Hoosier Hundred that year, when "Ziggy," got DQed at the Hulman & A.J. cancelled the Hoosier 100. 1997 is was known as the Hulman/Hoosier 100. Not sure how many years they called it that, then just went to calling it, the Hoosier 100. I enjoyed the Hulman on many Friday nights before the 500 & the Hoosier 100 on many Saturday afternoons. In 1990, Gary Hieber got the Win & we took off for the All Star Winged Sprint show at Paragon that night. Several guys like Hewitt, Kaeding, etc., ran both races, too! Those were the good ole days!
96 or 97 (or both) 500 wknd shows ran on Saturday afternoon? We were there, & I have pix of Ziggy in VL (in the daylight)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

5/21/19, 2:19 AM   #19
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdull99 View Post
96 or 97 (or both) 500 wknd shows ran on Saturday afternoon? We were there, & I have pix of Ziggy in VL (in the daylight)
I looked it up on wiki - "1996: The annual Hulman Hundred was scheduled for Friday May 24, but was postponed until Saturday May 25 due to rain. The traditional fall race was scheduled for late August, but was ultimately cancelled by promoters. The May 25, 1996 running of the "Hulman Hundred" (won by Dave Darland) was retroactively designated the 1996 edition of the annual "Hoosier Hundred," and is henceforth considered part of its annual lineage."
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

5/21/19, 8:10 AM   #20
ThrowbackRacingTeam

Yes I know the history and I was at a Saturday afternoon rain date for either the Hulman or Hoosier Hundred on Memorial weekend. Hopefully we don't need a rain date and by some miracle this won't be the last Hoosier Hundred at the Indiana State Fairgrounds.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > 64th FINAL Hoosier 100 USAC Champ Cars &Mods @Indy Mile 5/23