IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hans/Defnder ??
8/25/11, 9:00 PM   #1
Hans/Defnder ??
jeffnanny

So I hopped in a car and wore a Hans Pro 20 with sliding tethers. I had a sore neck for 2 or 3 days after. It felt as if it pushed my chin into my chest and it may have been it just wasnt set up for me. But do you think I just had a bad go since I wasnt set up in my own car or are most that way...

With the Defnder being adjustable is it better. Never ran with one and am thinking about locating one. But figured Id stir up a little here and see if I can find some real feedback for both.

Thank ya!

1 member likes this post: DAD
8/25/11, 10:25 PM   #2
Re: Hans/Defnder ??
team3521

The Hans has never been uncomfortable to me in my car. I think it depends a lot on your seat, your belts and how everything is adjusted.

I love my Hans. I wouldn't have anything but a Hans device on my neck.

Hope this helped!

8/26/11, 12:59 AM   #3
Joe Whisler

I have no experience with the HANS, so I can't say.

I have the DefNder, and I find it easy to use. I like the idea of it having tethers that restrict forward and lateral movement. It has quite a bit of adjustment available. I use mine with a ButlerBuilt Sprint Advantage seat, and Hooker Harness belts w/ a 2" shoulder harness, and a Bell GTX2 helmet. They have plenty of room for 3".

One thing that I noticed and I think is important to remember is that if you use more than one helmet to make sure your tethers are still adjusted correctly for each. I had to drill the holes in my old Impact helmet, and when I switched to my new Bell that comes pre-drilled, I needed to shorten the tethers. If you happened to see the videos of my June 11th and June 25th flips, you might notice a little extra helmet movement. That's because I never corrected the tethers.

I came from stock car racing and never had used a head and neck restraint until this year, but I have had no problem adjusting. If you are interested in buying one, call Brian Butler at ButlerBuilt and he can answer any questions you might have. They should have them in stock, too. Feel free to use my name if you'd like. Their number is: 704-784-1027

Hope this hepls...

8/26/11, 6:52 AM   #4
Quantrill

DeFNder

8/26/11, 11:18 AM   #5
treecitytornado

Fit on a Hans once and didn't like it. Never used a Defender. I wore an R3 from 08 until this season and switched to a Hybrid Pro. I liked the R3,but I like the Hybrid Pro even better! JMO!
Posted via Mobile Device

8/26/11, 11:32 AM   #6
Drew Tarr

I have worn the both and I greatly prefer the Defender. One other consideration is the adjustability of the Defender. If you are likely to drive different styles of race cars you can change the angle, saving you from having to have multiple units for each type of car.

8/26/11, 12:12 PM   #7
jeffnanny

Thanks for all the help. I am going to see about looking into a defnder. Just from what I have heard from people using both I like what Ive heard from the defnder. If anyone runs into selling out of one of theirs let me know. But I will keep hearing what you all are liking about them.

8/26/11, 1:04 PM   #8
Hclarke

Sent you a PM

8/26/11, 1:53 PM   #9
jeffnanny

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hclarke View Post
Sent you a PM
Thanks!

8/27/11, 3:08 AM   #10
fasster23

I think I seen a defender on Hoseheads for sale
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Hans/Defnder ??