IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac
11/10/07, 2:40 PM   #41
Re: Usac
Gasman fan 50

Well now, Tim Richman, Jan Opperman, Geary Patterson could be some name dropping. Richman because of Aids! Then there is Clinton's, Bushes. Most drivers in sprint cars had a beer in hand after the races, 1980's on. Oh, Beer not a Drug.:angry-smiley-007:

Joe

11/10/07, 5:10 PM   #42
Joey Woods

Quote:
Originally Posted by cecil98 View Post
No PAT! I got one back in '87 and I haven't ruled out driving the kid's sprinter in a funfest or two before I'm too old and weak to do it(that's coming soon)!!! Let's say DUI's are OK and no one who has EVER taken drugs is out!!:kookoo2:
Damn Cecil, you had to be pretty sideways to get a dui in 87

11/10/07, 7:16 PM   #43
Tim Watson

This may stray a bit from the topic but i don't understand the laws on possessing drugs. Why is it that some drinking offenses can range from $700 - $1,000 for a first timer when alcohol is legal to buy but drug offenses are half the fine and drugs are illegal to buy? I see it in the paper all the time, a DUI at $800 first offense but a possession of cocaine fine at $440? What the HELL?:confused:

11/10/07, 7:58 PM   #44
sprint 98j

Probably cause drunk drivers kill people, Same as DUI from drugs but possession does not endanger others until it becomes DUI. Also drug dealers can afford better attorneys

11/10/07, 8:56 PM   #45
Onlydirt

I dont know about your state but Possession of Marijuana is an A misd. here, up to a year in jail and all the legal fees, bond in Howard County alone is $800 just to get out of jail. Second conviction is a D felony.

Possession of Cocaine is a B felony, A felony within a 1000 ft of Schools, Daycares, I think government housing falls in there also..
The B felony can be up to 15 yrs in prison, $440 fine is crazy!

11/10/07, 9:03 PM   #46
wbr

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
This may stray a bit from the topic but i don't understand the laws on possessing drugs. Why is it that some drinking offenses can range from $700 - $1,000 for a first timer when alcohol is legal to buy but drug offenses are half the fine and drugs are illegal to buy? I see it in the paper all the time, a DUI at $800 first offense but a possession of cocaine fine at $440? What the HELL?:confused:
I asked the same question to some local attorneys and got 2 answers.
1. MADD made DUI a "worse" crime in the public eye.
2. Most convicted of DUI have more money to go after and the money fuels the courts and ******** justice system.
Druggies may be homeless and own nothing- no job etc.

11/10/07, 9:20 PM   #47
cecil98

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joey Woods View Post
Damn Cecil, you had to be pretty sideways to get a dui in 87
No Joey, I was completely backwards (.21). I was a school teacher and I couldn't remember XYZ! 3 days in the Justice Center, 6 month suspension, and a high risk insurance bond (first offense). Luckily, I had a friend in the insurance biz who sold me the bond for $210. My insurance company never found out about it (WHEW!). It's much worse nowadays.

11/10/07, 11:29 PM   #48
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by Onlydirt View Post
I dont know about your state but Possession of Marijuana is an A misd. here, up to a year in jail and all the legal fees, bond in Howard County alone is $800 just to get out of jail. Second conviction is a D felony.

Possession of Cocaine is a B felony, A felony within a 1000 ft of Schools, Daycares, I think government housing falls in there also..
The B felony can be up to 15 yrs in prison, $440 fine is crazy!
Just checked my local paper again and i see two different marijuana possessions at $462, a cocaine possesion at $440 and a THC possession at $440 but the drinking and driving offenses are double that.

11/11/07, 11:27 AM   #49
bigmojo5

Most current cocaine laws were written in the 1970s when it was more socially acceptable. The alcohol laws were modified in the early to mid 1980s amd even the 1990s following the intensive lobbying efforsts of the Mothers Against Drunk Drivers groups. There have been some legislative efforts in recent years to stiffen cocaines penalties, but little result. Most of the attention has been give to meth -- A much more serious problem in this country, as of this time.
You are right. The disparity makes no sense in the modern context.

One other thing.

Alcohol is a drug.
Just a legal one when used in moderation.
But, because of its acceptance in social circles -- as cocaine was in the 1970s -- its deemed to have not as serious an impact on people's lives.
I wonder how Rick Mears and Al Unser Jr., both recovering alcoholics. would feel about this. Mears seems to be doing pretty good after going through rehab. Unser is still struggling the regain the luster to his career.

Jim Morrison

11/11/07, 5:27 PM   #50
smbpreformance

Personal freedom for personal responcbilities

Alchol is legal but if you abuse it you will be paying out your ass

If drugs were legal you can almost garentee that the fine for abusing them would be as strong as the fine for abusing the drink

Let the people who can handle themselves do what they want and those who can not handle themselves get punished for their actions

Now this has just become a political thread so go ahead and bash away

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Usac