IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starting Fresh, What All Do I Need?
6/11/18, 12:37 PM   #1
Starting Fresh, What All Do I Need?
Shabillac

Hey y'all, not brand new to sprint car racing, but new to the driving part. Looking at putting together a setup for me to take to run Elite Non Wing & Sprint Car Bandits series's here in Texas for 2019 to run when I'm not drag racing. I've helped on a local 305" team around here but not too in depth or knowledgeable.

I'll be purchasing a used roller this winter, what do I need to look for in a multi purpose car? I see a lot of "raised rail" or 87/40 stuff and that is Greek to me. I don't know what to make of those measurements.

Engine is junkyard LS 5.3 (both sanctioning bodies allow this setup) making a tick over 500 h.p. with a solid roller cam @ 7,100 and Ron's Toilet on a Holley Hi-Ram (yeah I know it's a dog but it makes noise and fits between frame rails).

What I don't know is what all I need for parts or anything to make it easier for me to run a car by myself.

What I've got so far:
Floor Jack
Basic Hand Tools
Wheel Spacers
Couple Wheels (Have to run Racesaver RR in both classes and 94 in non-wing)
Headers
Radiator
Fuel Jugs
Drum Pump
MSD-6014, Lightweight Lithium Battery, Alternator

What I know I need to buy:
Roller
Fuel & Radiator Lines
Gears
Wings (if roller doesn't come with em)
Shocks

I plan on running used tires. Buying used shocks and having them re-valved. Seats: What do y'all recommend?

What kind of spare parts do I need to bring that'll fit in the bed of a pickup (hauling an open trailer)?

1 member likes this post: oppweld
6/11/18, 12:48 PM   #2
motorhead748

Some kind of way to push the car around the pits would be nice if you've only got one crew member, golf cart, small quad or anything. Dizz Wilson used a thing he'd likely built with a 5hp Briggs on it.
Fuel jugs, lighting on the back of the trailor with a small generator would be nice.
You can race with a lot less than what most have. I was able to race & win on a shoestring.

2 members like this post: Can26, PIT CART
6/11/18, 12:57 PM   #3
Re: Starting Fresh, What All Do I Need?
Shabillac

Good idea with the lighting. I will be by myself 99.9% of the time I imagine unfortunately so I don't know how I'm gonna get motor heat or get to the pushoff chute... Kinda one of my "We'll figure it out when we get there" deal.

6/11/18, 1:10 PM   #4
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabillac View Post
Good idea with the lighting. I will be by myself 99.9% of the time I imagine unfortunately so I don't know how I'm gonna get motor heat or get to the pushoff chute... Kinda one of my "We'll figure it out when we get there" deal.
. Golf carts are super ez to use and can be bought cheap. Towards the end of my racing when I was going alone more there was a 10-12 yr old boy that hung around the track. I soon enlisted him to push me around when needed. I told him he could ride around on my golf cart but when it was time to push I didn't wanna have to look for him. He was very good and always there and it only cost me a burger and pop a nite.

1 member likes this post: interpreter66
6/11/18, 2:27 PM   #5
Shabillac

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
. Golf carts are super ez to use and can be bought cheap. Towards the end of my racing when I was going alone more there was a 10-12 yr old boy that hung around the track. I soon enlisted him to push me around when needed. I told him he could ride around on my golf cart but when it was time to push I didn't wanna have to look for him. He was very good and always there and it only cost me a burger and pop a nite.
True, all I've got is an old Yamaha Zuma scooter for now that don't have brakes and won't idle. lol

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
6/11/18, 2:31 PM   #6
TQ29m

Well, spare parts are kinda easy, every time you replace something, nut, bolt part or what ever, if it ain't broke slap in two, add that to yur spare parts bucket, I went for a long time on a shoe, didn't have a string, someone will usually feel sorry for ya, and give ya a push, or tuck ya in, then I went big time, got me a 90cc 2 stroke 4 wheeler, and really got popular, I was pushing everyone it seemed, 90cc 2 stroke is plenty, and easy to hide, I did it for years, me and the wife, and she didn't drive! We raced all over the country, course that was when there were a lot of folks just like us, so you help someone, you need help, you got it, I see how it is now, it's a bit more elite, so it may be a lt harder to do on your own. Good luck! Bob

6/11/18, 2:59 PM   #7
Backitin

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shabillac View Post
True, all I've got is an old Yamaha Zuma scooter for now that don't have brakes and won't idle. lol
R speedwaybikes don't have brakes or idle either, sounds like you're ready to race with us.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Starting Fresh, What All Do I Need?