IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona 500
2/27/17, 9:21 AM   #11
lukesmith

Let's just thank the Lord that the No Way Out is in 26 days

2/27/17, 9:55 AM   #12
Jsr7s

Why does nascar do everything they can to stay away from racing at its roots? which has been proven and been around way longer than nascar has. What's with the stupid segments just run heats consi and a feature. They have to know this move alone would bring back a lot of fans that have left because of the long boring SO CALLED RACES. Nascar is a enduro series not a race series. It's a simple fix, but they just got to be different and look how well that's working out.

Side note: they sold out the 500 two years in a row now must mean good thing to come wright? wait they down sized seating hugely in recent years by about 60,000 people I believe.

2 members like this post: dirtball, interpreter66
2/27/17, 10:04 AM   #13
Re: Daytona 500
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

I generally no longer watch Nascar, its been in decline at least as long as Brian France has been at the wheel and seems to only move further from its base or any semblance of its former glory. I am glad that dirt racers and others have a professional league they can aspire to for fame and fortune, but I won't silently sit by and pretend that's enough or acceptable. First, I DO applaud them for building a safer car and for not being afraid to obsolete older designs by adjusting their basic dimensions to allow for better survivability, many dirt sanctions could learn from that in my view, some times tradition blindly impedes safety, needlessly.

The problem with the actual racing starts, at least on the super speedways, with allowing "Bump stop/coil binding setups", same issue with current DLM sanctions. What this does is make "aero" to large a part of the overall package and hinders close racing and drives up cost. Next comes restrictor plates, they just plain suck and have no place on an elite level, "professional" race car. If they want to slow the cars down, drop the spoilers off, skinny up the tires and ditch the air dams. Make it where you have to lift in the corner, the way it is now they just flat foot it around the track and hope somebody bobbles or their spotter has them make the wrong move. It would be more entertaining to watch traffic on I-285 going around Atlanta than to watch "Pack Racing" at Daytona & Talledega. In an effort to generate excitement they've had to resort to gimmicks and bizarre rules, phantom debris cautions and time outs in an effort to spice things up. They got lucky yesterday with the final 20 laps being interesting, but it was the exception not the rule. Go back and look at some Daytona's from 1968 and earlier, before aero and restrictor plates, it was a whole different ball game. I grew up aspiring to climb the ladder to Nascar, but I'm actually glad now it didn't work out for me, because I would've retired early too like a lot of guys are doing now, out of frustration and disillusionment. I hope they continue to decline in ratings and numbers in the hopes they'll finally wake up and stop listening to their inept, "marketing moonies" and right the ship.
Last edited by Aces&Eights; 2/27/17 at 10:06 AM.

2 members like this post: superstock30, team3521
2/27/17, 10:16 AM   #14
davidm

Race Count This Year: 21
Race Count Last Year: 23

I'm hearing that Aluminum Futures when up 25% following the Daytona 500.

I'd love to see a stat on how much each team will spend to replace all the trashed cars and trucks from this past weekend.
Last edited by davidm; 2/27/17 at 12:48 PM.

3 members like this post: Backitin, jim goerge, JordanBlanton
2/27/17, 1:29 PM   #15
Aces&Eights

Race Count This Year: 3

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post

I'd love to see a stat on how much each team will spend to replace all the trashed cars and trucks from this past weekend.
Its a complete waste of a lot of hardwork, engineering and resources, just to give them, "The Big One or Three".

2/27/17, 7:33 PM   #16
TQ29m

Quote:
Originally Posted by davidm View Post

it'll probably drive the market down, that much steel and aluminum at one time, could overcome the need. Bob

2/27/17, 9:43 PM   #17
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by chathamracefan View Post
Brian France is undoubtedly the worst league executive in the history of American pro sports. And 2nd isn't even close. At this point I'm just watching to see how ignorant it gets.
Ever google Tony George?

2 members like this post: nathans1012, team3521
2/28/17, 12:13 AM   #18
fish

When I was at Plymouth last year I noticed the new stands are old Daytona stands.

1 member likes this post: speed bump
2/28/17, 12:27 AM   #19
nathans1012

Race Count This Year: 7
Race Count Last Year: 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by fish View Post
When I was at Plymouth last year I noticed the new stands are old Daytona stands.
The stands them selves are from Dayton & the Seats are from Charlotte is what I was told.

2/28/17, 3:22 AM   #20
Blackduce

To me the best part was the car running up front with no RF fender. I think he was like 4 th during the Green flag. The wind tunnel guys are probably looking for jobs today. The car owners took a heavy hit in the wallet. I see at Atlanta has only 39 cars entered. They are bragging every body will make the show.

Lynn
Last edited by Blackduce; 2/28/17 at 3:25 AM. Reason: add sentence

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Daytona 500