IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > High Limit Buys All Star Circuit of Champions.
11/11/23, 8:32 AM   #51
Re: High Limit Buys All Star Circuit of Champions.
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoDramazone2020 View Post
So now many in the media and bloggers like TJ are all concerned about 2 guys starting High Limit as a power grab???? When WRG purchased the Woo series and then expanded it to Late Models and BBM, what was that?? You guessed it , a power grab. They have controlled that form of racing for a long time, and guess what...they got greedy and someone else came along and decided to try and fix it. Now all the sudden we are worried about a power grab???....Please

When WRG bought the outlaws, It was bankrupt. For the second time.

11/11/23, 12:59 PM   #52
hoscalecody

KB78 I agree that some of the non wing guys have dabbled in winged cars the last couple of years. You're forgetting some stuff on Bacon though. Bacon has been running winged for many years, used to run a lot with the ASCS 360's with a 2nd and 3rd in championship rankings.

I understand TJ's concern. The regional series is dead now and pretty much so is the All-Stars. I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers get together again and try to come up with a new regional series as a replacement of the All-Stars. Some people may say this is being dramatic, but the oldest sprint car series still running is now gone. Lost the name and it being a regional series. Yes it only had about 6 guys running the full schedule, but most of the top 20 still at least ran almost half the schedule.

4 members like this post: bighd0522, Hustlin-Hoosier, mlamb, nathans1012
11/11/23, 6:45 PM   #53
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoscalecody View Post
KB78 I agree that some of the non wing guys have dabbled in winged cars the last couple of years. You're forgetting some stuff on Bacon though. Bacon has been running winged for many years, used to run a lot with the ASCS 360's with a 2nd and 3rd in championship rankings.

I understand TJ's concern. The regional series is dead now and pretty much so is the All-Stars. I wouldn't be surprised if some drivers get together again and try to come up with a new regional series as a replacement of the All-Stars. Some people may say this is being dramatic, but the oldest sprint car series still running is now gone. Lost the name and it being a regional series. Yes it only had about 6 guys running the full schedule, but most of the top 20 still at least ran almost half the schedule.

There are two regional series in the OH, IN, PA region. FAST and OVSCA

1 member likes this post: Hustlin-Hoosier
11/11/23, 7:30 PM   #54
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by kb78 View Post
In some small part I have to wonder how much this situation will affect Non-wing racing. Many of the stars of the Non-wing world have dabbled into wing racing the last couple years including Bacon, Thomas Jr., Leary, Ballou, and Seavey, some of them with decent success. I have to wonder if all of the sudden there are twice as many starting spots for good money in the wing world will some of these guys try to run more wing races and not run a full non-wing schedule?
Back when you had the NST-WoO split you definitely seen some different drivers move to a more national schedule, it effected the 360 world more at that time I believe but I guess I could see it having an impact on the non-wing world.
The guys who "dabble" don't worry me as much as guys like Sunshine & Windom who've pretty much given up traditional & gone full time wing. Big loss for USAC, IMHO...

2 members like this post: oldfan49, PIT CART
11/12/23, 11:58 AM   #55
flagboy55

Since this began, I have wondered if the Outlaws would have accepted the HL as good neighbors and let their guy’s race without restrictions, would this even happen? Then you half to ask why it’s happening, why it’s Kyle and Brad making the moves to create the competition. If you listen to the Dirtnerds podcast, you’ll hear Duane and Elliott talk about Kyle’s foray into LM’s as a potential inspiration for this taking place. Not everyone on here is a fan, so I’ll give you a brief description of the landscape. They have 2 National touring series with Lucas Oil Series, and WOO Series, big money weekday races with the Castrol Flo LM Night in America series, and the XR Super Series which also throws in some big purse’s. The Dirtnerds suggest, and I think it’s a very reasonable suspicion, that Kyle saw the money available to tin tops, and wanted to go after it for Sprint Cars. No reason to think that Larson hasn’t seen the numbers, especially being Flo sponsored, and that Flo is a minority partner in the HL deal. My thoughts are that his access to the streaming side of things, he also has a pretty good idea of what the revenue is for the Outlaws via Dirtvision. We will probably never know because the cards for streaming numbers are kept very close to the vest, but they must be doing well and a potential for doing better, otherwise why the conflict? As far as the Allstars going away, I’m sad for the nostalgia factor, but I see it as an opportunity for regional series to step up. Let’s face it, Pennsylvania wings don’t really need any help from anyone, they seem to be the strongest market in the country for Sprint Cars. Outlaws come through a couple times a year, and they’re good. Ohio has at least 3 series that I’m aware of, Midwest has MOWA, and now Maverick, along with the very well done IRA Sprint Cars. Between all these series, with a little cooperation, I don’t think it’s out of the question that they couldn’t put together a sub series to kinda fill the void left by the Allstars. Of course the key to that would be cooperation. Any how, that’s some of my thoughts on the matter, but as long as Indiana remains God’s Country for real Sprint Cars, I’m all good!

11/12/23, 12:47 PM   #56
captrat

Sprint Car racing the sport that eats it's own.

1 member likes this post: oldfan49
11/12/23, 3:09 PM   #57
BrentTFunk

Isn't this money grab the exact same thing that the Outlaws did when they created the extreme series? Only this move appears to be better thought out. A month ago, I would not have thought this would cause any big problems for the Outlaws. Now I am not so sure. They have taken away some very good markets. That will not help teams secure sponsorship. Less race dates will help owner's expenses, and no one has to miss any big events.
As for the All Stars, Brad Sweet said in the press conference that they were just taking a year off. I am sure that is going to give them time to evaluate. It appears to me that groups like FAST have taken away business from the All Stars. The All Stars only had 6 full time racers at the end, and I am sure someone was spending more than they were making to keep it going. My guess is High Limit just bought their big dates.
I look at a couple of the markets that High Limit has announced. A couple of them are tracks that had a falling out with the Outlaws, and some are tracks that the promoter had to use an outside promoter to get a date. That will hurt the Outlaws going forward. They have 40 plus years of brand recognition, and that is a the biggest thing they have going forward.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART
11/12/23, 4:29 PM   #58
dsc1600

This is a Flo driven endeavor using Larson and to a lesser extent Sweet as frontmen. This is much more about Flo seeing what DirtVision has (an elite national winged sprint car series) and wanting a piece of it. I’d be surprised if LucasOil LMs don’t come under the Flo umbrella eventually as “High Limit” so they can have one brand like the Outlaws do.

2 members like this post: captrat, motorhead748
11/12/23, 5:19 PM   #59
Stevensville Mike

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Since this began...
Well laid out.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
11/12/23, 11:34 PM   #60
flagboy55

1600, that’s a good point. I didn’t get what you meant the first time I read it in that Lucas Late Models are already on Flo. After reading it again you could be on to something, especially if Lucas ever decides to drop the sponsorship. I forgot where I saw it, maybe on Dirtrackr, the logo was changed from High Limit Sprint Cars to High Limit Racing.

3 members like this post: dsc1600, Hustlin-Hoosier, The Old Coyote
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > High Limit Buys All Star Circuit of Champions.