IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed
3/15/09, 8:17 PM   #1
Gold Crown Story on Speed
D.O.

Bruce Ashmore will be a guest on Racin' with D.O. this coming Monday.
www.Racinwithdo.com

The projected USAC Gold Crown Championship met with universal approval at an initial meeting of potential car owners. The series roll out was unanimously agreed upon with the first cars due to appear in 2009. Testing and development will follow in 2010 with a 10-race program scheduled for the year after.

“I was very encouraged by the enthusiastic way in which the teams bought into the program, also the great ideas they added to our plan for the Gold Crown Championship,” said series coordinator Bruce Ashmore.

The Gold Crown Championship is to be the Destination Series of USAC as well as being on the ladder system of open wheel racing for drivers aspiring to the famed Indianapolis 500. Gold Crown construction will be tube-framed, front-engined, open-wheel cars specially designed to race on both superspeedways and road courses.

“Wehad a fun evening and I want to thank everyone for coming, now we need to get the cars built and get them to the track to start our test program” said Darryl Guiducci series principle.

The event, which took place on March 9, 2009, was held at the Holiday Inn at The Pyramids, Indianapolis. Around 30 people were present representing 10 of USAC’s front running teams. Delegates travelled to the meeting from throughout the United States including California, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, San Diego, Tennessee, Ohio and Indiana.

Production of the cars will now commence with four different chassis constructors – Ashmore Design, Devin Race Cars, Riley Technologies and Rock Chassis. Teams will also have a choice of engine, these being the existing Silver Crown specification units from Chevrolet, Ford, Mopar and Toyota.

3/15/09, 8:38 PM   #2
Re: Gold Crown Story on Speed
Supermod
Inactive Member

I am just a bit confused by this post. There is nothing mentioned about retrofitting or grandfathering any of the existing new generation cars. I hope provisions have been made for those cars.

later,

Bob Mays

3/15/09, 8:39 PM   #3
D.O.

Gold Crown series is only for the new gen cars, sorry.

3/15/09, 8:51 PM   #4
racephoto1

D.O.,

I think Bob wanted to know if the Gold Crown cars they ran a couple of years ago are still going to be used, not if they could retrofit the traditional champ cars.

3/15/09, 9:01 PM   #5
dirtywhiteboy

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O. View Post
Bruce Ashmore will be a guest on Racin' with D.O. this coming Monday.
www.Racinwithdo.com

The projected USAC Gold Crown Championship met with universal approval at an initial meeting of potential car owners. The series roll out was unanimously agreed upon with the first cars due to appear in 2009. Testing and development will follow in 2010 with a 10-race program scheduled for the year after.

“I was very encouraged by the enthusiastic way in which the teams bought into the program, also the great ideas they added to our plan for the Gold Crown Championship,” said series coordinator Bruce Ashmore.

The Gold Crown Championship is to be the Destination Series of USAC as well as being on the ladder system of open wheel racing for drivers aspiring to the famed Indianapolis 500. Gold Crown construction will be tube-framed, front-engined, open-wheel cars specially designed to race on both superspeedways and road courses.

“Wehad a fun evening and I want to thank everyone for coming, now we need to get the cars built and get them to the track to start our test program” said Darryl Guiducci series principle.

The event, which took place on March 9, 2009, was held at the Holiday Inn at The Pyramids, Indianapolis. Around 30 people were present representing 10 of USAC’s front running teams. Delegates travelled to the meeting from throughout the United States including California, New York, North Carolina, Pennsylvania, San Diego, Tennessee, Ohio and Indiana.

Production of the cars will now commence with four different chassis constructors – Ashmore Design, Devin Race Cars, Riley Technologies and Rock Chassis. Teams will also have a choice of engine, these being the existing Silver Crown specification units from Chevrolet, Ford, Mopar and Toyota.
Does this include the Foxco engines? If they are limiting it to just those 4 makers of engines then USAC still hasn't learned to work with people already commited to the sport and the club.

As far as grandfathering in the other New Generation cars: You can put lipstick on a pig but you still have a pig, now it's just a drag queen.

3/15/09, 9:07 PM   #6
JDONAMO
Inactive Member

Race Count This Year: 6

what a deal usac needs another series :thumbsdown:

3/15/09, 9:44 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by dirtywhiteboy View Post
Does this include the Foxco engines? If they are limiting it to just those 4 makers of engines then USAC still hasn't learned to work with people already commited to the sport and the club.

As far as grandfathering in the other New Generation cars: You can put lipstick on a pig but you still have a pig, now it's just a drag queen.

Read through it again and see that EXISTING Silvercrown engines are the standard. There are four chassis makers and four engine choices. If Foxco, Wesmar, Fisher, Anyone builds a engine under the specified rules for each brand name. It should be legal.

3/15/09, 10:26 PM   #8
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by D.O.
Production of the cars will now commence with four different chassis constructors –
Ashmore Design, Devin Race Cars, Riley Technologies and Rock Chassis.

Ashmore Design

Bruce Ashmore is obviously a very talented and accomplished guy considering his former years with Lola Cars , the Indy Reynard car development and his work with Ganassi.
But this is also his second go-round on a USAC project having been instrumental in the former New Generation Silver Crown car built by C&R Racing.
This is the car that is most closely related to the definition of ugly.
Yet , Mr. Ashmore has distanced himself to that association by stating to Bob Gates in a NSSN article , quote - " I don't know who was responsible , I can guess , but there's no reason that the looks of the car had to be forced on us ". I'm not convinced that Ashmore will be getting his way this time , either.
Ashmore Design doesn't seem to have a web-site , least I can't find it.

Devin Race Cars

They don't seem to have a web-site either other than the DRC site. This is Joe Devin of the DRC Chassis Co., Gasoline Alley , Indy. DRC is largely a manufacturer of Sprint Car chassis and has had great success in that endeavor. The DRC site makes no mention of a Gold Crown project. DRC was a former manufacturer of the New Generation Silver Crown car.

Riley Technologies

Riley was formerly here in Indy ; moved the entire operation to Mooresville , North Carolina in 2006. Riley is the primary supplier of the Daytona Prototype for the Rolex Grand Am ; also projects with Porsche , Mazda and Corvette. Riley seems to have a lot on their plate already. The Riley web-site , http://www.rileytech.com also makes no mention of a Gold Crown project. Riley also constructed the former New Generation Silver Crown car.

Rock Chassis

Never heard of 'em. Has anyone else ?
They don't seem to have a web-site either.

All former New Generation Silver Crown cars were supplied by -
* Stealth Motorsports ( Joey Martin )
* Devin Racing Chassis ( Joe Devin )
* Keith Kunz Motorsports ( Keith Kunz )
* Riley Technologies ( Bob & Bill Riley )
* C & R Racing ( Chris Paulsen )

So this is a second time around for Devin , Riley and Ashmore ( having worked with C&R ).
I'd like more info on Rock. Maybe they will try to get this right the first time ! :thumb

:Steer
Last edited by pgray; 3/15/09 at 11:13 PM.

3/15/09, 10:45 PM   #9
Sandy Lowe

Paul,

I believe it's Joe Devin, not Bill. Unless you're thinking of his dad, and then it's Mike.

Sandy

3/15/09, 10:53 PM   #10
D.O.

Stealth is gone and sold so maybe that is Rock?

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Gold Crown Story on Speed