IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dooling..Bacon..Thorson Press Conference
12/8/17, 9:38 PM   #11
BrandX

Did it say Rusty was wrenching it? What about Brayton?

12/8/17, 9:47 PM   #12
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Just think, if we get lucky and NASCAR gets more involved we can get great racing features like playoffs, chase, and stage racing! Let's remember that it was USAC'S getting friendly with NASCAR that brought the biggest blow ever to the Silver Crown series with that stupid pavement car that failed miserably. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself
Hopefully the Nascar people stay away from ideas and just stick to helping teams. The nascar sanctioning body and management group can stay far away

5 members like this post: billw, flagboy55, luckybuc97, Simon_says17, turn4
12/8/17, 9:48 PM   #13
Kydehart

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrandX View Post
Did it say Rusty was wrenching it? What about Brayton?
Rusty will wrench the midget for tanner Thorson. I wondered about the fate of the 1k myself. And tmez is already entered in the chili bowl in the 1R again. Will rusty wrench the 63 there? Not much was said about any of that.

2 members like this post: flagboy55, tirespinner
12/8/17, 11:55 PM   #14
Re: Dooling..Bacon..Thorson Press Conference
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Just think, if we get lucky and NASCAR gets more involved we can get great racing features like playoffs, chase, and stage racing! Let's remember that it was USAC'S getting friendly with NASCAR that brought the biggest blow ever to the Silver Crown series with that stupid pavement car that failed miserably. Let's hope history doesn't repeat itself
Totally different IMO and I don't see it as anything interfering with USAC at least no more than already has been done. More $$$ behind a team is about all it is. No bucks, No Buck Rogers. IMO the damage has already been done as far as cost of running a top notch team. Yet we still get locals who beat em from time to time like last years Sprint week of four first time winners in USAC.

We've had Nascar development for about 20 years in USAC. TSR with Mopar then Chevy, after KKR takes over Mopar RED BULL WITH Whitt, TRD with the KUNZ drivers.

Im sure there are several others Im missing.

All I see is RCR wanting drivers in development for future with several types of cars driven and many many laps made..

I do think USAC is missing a major part of what made it a great development for the past 30 year for Nascar and that's Pavement racing. Except for the Champ Series, there's not much left.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, jdull99, Kydehart
12/9/17, 12:33 AM   #15
trannyman

There are no claims that Nascar,themselves,are getting involved.Only that Nascar affiliated teams are getting more involved with open wheel racing.We all know the good parts of this.Now,the bad part is,as mentioned in earlier response,it drives the cost up a considerable amount.It makes it tougher for the racers,that may never move up the ranks,to continue to support their local tracks.It's kind of like the issues society and business faces.The more big business "buys"up the businesses,the less "competitors"tbere will be.Small tracks do well on special event nights when the "stars"are present,but they struggle horribly otherwise.What happens as we lose more and more local tracks?

3 members like this post: gastown, jdull99, luckybuc97
12/9/17, 12:42 PM   #16
flagboy55

I get ya Charles, and I agree with what you're saying. Actually I think that NASCAR isn't quite as dense as indy car and they actually see that involvement in USAC racing could possibly also bring some added interest to their own series. I also wish that the sprints and midgets ran pavement still even though I prefer the dirt. Lots of reasons pavement has become nearly extinct, not the least of which is having to have special cars for both. It didn't have to be that way. Also I believe that they are aware of something most of us already know, and that I've stated many times, USAC has developed a lot of the best racers in history so why not make a direct connection to that pipeline

3 members like this post: Charles Nungester, Kydehart, mc/rider
12/9/17, 2:59 PM   #17
Charles Nungester

I seen Smoke do it at Holmstead to win his last championship and I seen BELL do it about the third from last Xfinity race. Just haul down in there and take positions. Think it was at Charlotte earlier this year that Larson passed the entire field twice.

I think you can make anyone fast if they work at it long enough. Still doesn't teach em how to race and who races harder than USAC without the down force?

They used to call Gordon (Money bags) as he'd be complaining about the car all day but still running top five and Childress on the last pit stop would tell him he changed this or that (But didn't change a thing) and Gordon would just go up there and take it.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/9/17 at 3:02 PM.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
12/9/17, 3:30 PM   #18
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles Nungester View Post
They used to call Gordon (Money bags) as he'd be complaining about the car all day but still running top five and Childress on the last pit stop would tell him he changed this or that (But didn't change a thing) and Gordon would just go up there and take it.
Which Gordon are you talking about?

2 members like this post: Pat O'Connor Fan, turn4
12/9/17, 6:29 PM   #19
Charles Nungester

Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Which Gordon are you talking about?
The same one I seen fly off Turn 3 in hotlaps and qualifying and through the pits in Kelly Kinsers backup at age 13 at Lawrenceburg, Next year came back in the OZCAR 16 and set a track record.

12/10/17, 5:28 PM   #20
erich45

I'm confused by the Childress reference. When did he drive for Childress?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Dooling..Bacon..Thorson Press Conference