IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
4/28/09, 5:38 PM   #1
The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
aceace

I finally got a scanner and can start posting all these pictures and news articles that my Mom has saved. Many drivers in these pictures and I am sure they will bring back some memories for some of you. My Dad's career spanned from the late 50's through 1977. There are about 50 pictures and probably more than a 100 articles mostly from NSSN. If I know anything about the pictures I will add that also. This first picture I have no idea where it came from but my Mom had it in the book. I thought it was my Dad but Kevin Briscoe corrected me and now that I look at it, he's right. Those wings didn't come about until the 80's. My Dad said he did drive for Richard a few times. Oh well, an old school Briscoe photo from the 80's is still a good one to put up.
Last edited by aceace; 4/28/09 at 11:03 PM. Reason: correction

7 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, JEFFSTOY, jim goerge, Jimmydiesel, Lucky161, RichH
4/28/09, 5:47 PM   #2
Re: The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
aceace

Larry Miller , Cliff Cockrum , Sheldon Kinser
Last edited by aceace; 4/28/09 at 5:55 PM.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, Jimmydiesel
4/28/09, 5:49 PM   #3
aceace

Upside down at Paragon and that fence didn't enter the cockpit or I might not be here. 2nd Pic is with the former owners of Paragon. I rode in that golf cart a few times when I would head to the pits to sell NSSN (my first racing job,HA). I would sell them in the stands for Don Vandeventer and then go to the pits and had to be out before hotlaps because I wasn't suppose to be in the pits. It was fun. They were .50 cents and I got .05 cents for each copy I sold and I would try to make $2 so I could get me one of those big tenderloins that were twice the size of the bun(didn't want Mom's bologna sandwich) and buy a picture of Dad.
Last edited by aceace; 4/28/09 at 6:08 PM.

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
4/28/09, 6:30 PM   #4
aceace

Left to right Jerry "Oz" Stepner owner of the Gold Duece #2, Bubby Jones, Norman Compton(helped "Oz"),Larry Miller and Butch Wilkerson this would be mid 70's.

3 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, Jimmydiesel
4/28/09, 6:43 PM   #5
aceace

A great picture of Bob Kinser who was never without a beer when the racing was over.

We have Bottom Left to Right Frank Hollingsworth, Johnny Krebbs
Top L to R Chet Johnson, Larry Miller, Bobby Black, Allan Barr, Bob Kinser, Ed Sheppard Jr and Rusty

Thanks Doug VanD for identifying all these guys.
Last edited by aceace; 4/28/09 at 9:27 PM. Reason: add

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
4/28/09, 6:58 PM   #6
Z-man

Thanks for sharing:thumb

4/28/09, 8:11 PM   #7
aceace

Larry Miller in the Karl Kinser #22 asphalt/dirt car. late 60's

F-800 Fleetwood car

Last edited by aceace; 4/28/09 at 8:24 PM.

4/28/09, 8:25 PM   #8
Dave Rudisell
Inactive Member

Thanks for sharing aceace, I really love seeing older photos like that, Keep em coming!! Dave

4/28/09, 8:43 PM   #9
aceace

These pictures were taken at the Dayton,OH track, this would be asphalt. Mom said that Dad won the feature that day and it was a big race.The first pic is Mom and I. It appears I might be upset about something. The second picture is Mary Jenkins my Mom's aunt. She was an Outlaw (kinda) In the early 1930's she dated John Dillinger for about a year and went to the Chicago Worlds Fair with him. My Mom has a dress that John bought Mary. If you ever read a Dillinger book her name at the time was Mary Longnaker. I Like the car in the background 57 Chevy.

One of my favorites from Haubstadt, check out the trophy girl. This was the #43 car that was owned by M.A.Brown of Memphis,TN. Dad ran some USAC races with this car. M.A. was a big fan of racing and owned a big trucking company. He never worked on the car always hired someone to run it for him. He had to quit because he went to jail for tax evasion. Rumor was that the IRS seized it. Probably not the first car ever seized. The second car is the Larry Curtis(?) owned #4. Dad said that the Gold Deuce got crashed at Paragon and Curtis let him drive the 4 at Haubstadt so he could maintain his points lead. They went out and won the feature that night.

Last edited by aceace; 4/29/09 at 11:50 AM.

4 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge, LUCKYONE, Pat O'Connor Fan
4/28/09, 9:18 PM   #10
dougvan

We have Bottom Left to Right Frank Hollingsworth, Johnny Krebbs
Top L to R Chet Johnson, Larry Miller, Bobby Black, Allan Barr, Bob Kinser, Ed Sheppard Jr and Rusty

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)