IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
10/26/09, 2:46 PM   #31
Re: The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Hardesty View Post
Ron, it seems I remember your name. Did you work at Central machine??? There's a lot of water under the bridge.

As far as pictures of Calvin's #19, I'm sorry I don't. Our basement flood at one time and I lost thousands of negatives and after I went into business full time a guy from Indianapolis called and bought every racetrack negative I had. Wish I would of kept them......
Don,

I doubt if I ever introduced myself to you back then. I talked to you during intermission back in the day when we still were allowed in the infield. No, I didn't work at Central Machine, I was a teacher in the EVSC.

10/26/09, 6:35 PM   #32
SprintManDave

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
Left to right Jerry "Oz" Stepner owner of the Gold Duece #2, Bubby Jones, Norman Compton(helped "Oz"),Larry Miller and Butch Wilkerson this would be mid 70's.
Thanks for posting all of the great pictures. I remember watching your dad win a lot of races. I was a friend of Bob Black and Butch Wilkerson and went everywhere thay ran in this area. It is easy to tell who was doing most of the talking in this photo.

10/26/09, 9:13 PM   #33
Speedwrench

Quote:
Originally Posted by SprintManDave View Post
Thanks for posting all of the great pictures. I remember watching your dad win a lot of races. I was a friend of Bob Black and Butch Wilkerson and went everywhere thay ran in this area. It is easy to tell who was doing most of the talking in this photo.
Classic typical Butch.

12/15/09, 3:39 AM   #34
derf

Thank you aceace for posting this pics. My sister in law was the trophy girl in 71 or 72. She was Miss Sterling Edge, Sheila Johnson Clark. I'm like Don Hardesty as I too lost my stuff in a basement flood. I would love to find a photo of Sheila with a feature winner to give to her son. Sheila died in 1975 at the age of 32 with a massive heart attack.
aceace, I remember one night when your dad was in Big Bertha at Haubstadt and he got up on another sprinters back wheel and left the track in turn one. He just clipped a step on a wooden light pole and bent it. When they brought the car back into the pits that were in the infield at that time, the announcer said "Well folks, that cars a total." Well lo and behold it was there the next Sunday night and we knew it was the same car because of that chrome roll cage. There has been many a driver to pilot the old yellow # 22 with the chrome roll cage "Big Bertha" but your dad was the first and probably the best to ever drive it. Larry Miller, my hero even after he started driving the Gold Deuce.
Fred Farber
Last edited by derf; 12/15/09 at 3:40 AM.

2 members like this post: Jerry Shaw, jim goerge
12/16/09, 11:50 AM   #35
prctgh1

thanks for getting these pic'c of larry out for everyone to see. larry picked me up when I was about 4 or 5 and put me in the gold duce He told jerry and glen (my grampaw who rode with freddy & jerry all the time) that boy's going to kick the wheels off this car.

7/21/10, 8:56 PM   #36
Russ

Any relation to another Larry Miller who raced winged & non-winged sprinters around the midwest in the 1980's & 1990's?

1 member likes this post: groove grabber
7/22/10, 11:05 PM   #37
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by aceace View Post
The Gold Deuce owned by Jerry "Oz" Stepter. Most of these are from Tri-State Speedway. Yes, that's me in 2 of them. Third picture down was a new Nance car.

I remember the gold duce I fell in love with sprints after seeing that car It was Beautiful Your dad was one hellofa driver thanks for shareing

7/22/10, 11:16 PM   #38
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by groove grabber View Post
Great pictures!! My Dad (Cliff Cockrum) always thought the world of Larry. I've heard so many stories about all of the guys, and guys like , bubby, sheldon, amati, Bob Kinser, larry, The flying eyeball, and all the rest. You gotta admit, those guys probably inspired alot of people in their day and has given many families lots of joy and frustration from giving them the racing bug. lol

Thanks for sharing those

Shane Cockrum Motorsports
#14c Powri Midget

If I get a chance, I'll start posting alot of very interesting old pics i have
Shane I remember your dad racing a hundred lapper in a sprint car and winning serveral of them getting out of it and jumping in to a Jesse Ladd stock car and giveing the best stock car racers around a dam hard time God I miss those days Good luck with your midget

11/14/12, 6:38 PM   #39
circletrack14

It is so cool to look at the old pictures, makes me want to go get the old photo albums out again.

11/14/12, 8:06 PM   #40
mscs20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Russ View Post
Any relation to another Larry Miller who raced winged & non-winged sprinters around the midwest in the 1980's & 1990's?
I thought that was Jerry Miller. He ran with us in the old Hoosier Sprint Association.

Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The Larry Miller thread (back in the day)