IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Races at Banker's Life
10/12/15, 10:23 AM   #121
Re: Midget Races at Banker's Life
okienonwingfan

Quote:
Originally Posted by LEADERS EDGE View Post
I hope it's a success.....just not sure on the economics and venting. That and the bill for cleaning it will be high. I believe they ran karts and bikes on ice there once.

If it is in conjunction with whatever PRI is called today.... It will have a crowd but I believe Lucas oil is also used for the show.

The Chili Bowl, Ft Wayne and Duquoin are the longest running indoor Midget races I know of besides the old HoosierDome and Atlantic City TQs.

Houston Astrodome, Fargo Dome, Rosemont Horizon, The Sandbox, Silverdome, Indianapolis Coliseum, Springfield IL, Cincinnati, Dayton, Cow Palace, Kemper, and Races in I believe Louisiana,Alabama, Detroit and Canada have all been tried but couldn't catch on. Maybe a race around Milwaukee too. I'm sure there are several other places I don't know about.
Okc did as well back in the mid 80's.

10/12/15, 3:43 PM   #122
jim goerge

I rather watch our current sprint car and midget drivers run this event not a bunch of napcar guys. Just saw where Ricky Stenhouse has a ride which means he'll bring his girlfriend I sure hope nobody offers her a ride

2 members like this post: 11Chaudion, treecitytornado
10/12/15, 3:56 PM   #123
Chris Nunn

Race Count This Year: 20

Stenhouse can handle himself on dirt. Hes proven

5 members like this post: bjr1655, fish, flagboy55, ronmil, SWScaleChassis
10/12/15, 4:13 PM   #124
JDK222

I agree if it becomes a NASCAR thing I will quickly change my opinions about the whole thing.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, jim goerge, PAW, treecitytornado
10/12/15, 4:27 PM   #125
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
I agree if it becomes a NASCAR thing I will quickly change my opinions about the whole thing.
i doubt that very many NASCAR drivers would be interested in running a midget. Most will probably be enjoying a vacation in some warm, sunny climate during December.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
10/12/15, 5:03 PM   #126
jjones752

Race Count This Year: 19
Race Count Last Year: 22

Why is it when Tony runs at the Rumble or the Chili Bowl he's "going back to his roots" but if Stenhouse accepts an invite to this race it's "a NASCAR thing"? If I remember right he spent a few years around here in open wheel equipment and did OK...
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97

10/12/15, 5:46 PM   #127
i love dirt track racing

Sorry guys iam still going to drop off my $ 20 at the gates and hopefully that we all will be in the house next year. Lol. Thanks.

4 members like this post: BrentTFunk, flagboy55, JDK222, jim goerge
10/12/15, 5:59 PM   #128
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Nunn View Post
Stenhouse can handle himself on dirt. Hes proven
In my post did I anywhere state he couldn't drive a midget, Read it again. My comment was referring to his girlfriend. As far as nascrap drivers I think we would do better with our local sprint and midget drivers in this event.

2 members like this post: Beinthecircle, JDK222
10/12/15, 6:09 PM   #129
Chase Hightower

Agreed. Tony isn't really going back to his roots. Only because he never left them. Name another driver that 15 years into a 3 championship cup career still "regularly" raced midgets, non wing, wing, dirt late models, modifieds, and anything else with wheels on it. Even when Schrader was running full time in cup he didn't run as "regular" as Tony. And I'm a huge fan of Kennys.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, i love dirt track racing, KENDALLRACING
10/12/15, 6:41 PM   #130
racefan20

I think the point they are making is they want this to be a BIG event not just for open wheel fans but for all fans. Inviting a few NACSAR guys, especially those with open wheel experience is their way of attracting more fans. I think I would enjoy watching some of them mix it up with the locals. Wouldnt surprise me to see invites for JJ, Josh Wise, Larson, Stewart, Schrader, Cole Whitt, Kasey Khane, Chad Boat etc. I wouldnt even be surprised if Scott Dixon gets an invite he is a huge sprint car fan. I've seen him in the stands several times at Gas City and Kokomo. Remember a big crowd at Kokomo, TSS or Putnamville would look lost in that arena. I think they are going to need somewhere north of 10,000 people to make this work into the future. They NEED some of those names to get enough people's butts in seats to make it work. JMHO Frankly I think they will be lucky to get 5-8 NASCAR guys to show up in Indy in December anyway. So that leaves 30-35 spots for the best of the regulars. I dont see a problem here like some of you do. I plan on supporting it in hopes it will not just be a one year deal.

“To whom little is not enough, nothing is enough.” Epicurus

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Midget Races at Banker's Life