IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winchester 400
10/17/10, 9:17 PM   #1
Winchester 400
racer-x

I just read on a board that 14 year old Chase Elliott won the Winchester 400 today.They said camping was full before the end of Saturday and the stands were packed.Sounds like this race is coming back..

2 members like this post: 767, IndyBound
10/17/10, 9:46 PM   #2
Re: Winchester 400
arctic monkey21

I was there. Parking was a challenge to say the least from all the camping and people there for the whole weekend. I saw signs saying they had parking down the road and were going to shuttle people over for free. It was a good race. Chase ran a great race and got by Chuck Barnes, Jr with about 40 laps left. Attrition was pretty high and some of big favorites were gone before they even hit lap 100. This is the third year in a row I've been and its gotten bigger each year. Good field showed up including Tim Steele, USAR Pro Cup Champ Clay Rogers, Matt Kenseth's son Ross, and David Stremme. 38 cars started.

10/17/10, 10:03 PM   #3
dirt330

Best short track late model race on pavement anywhere. Sure beats driving all the way to bristol. Besides it was only $ 25.00 huge crowd.

1 member likes this post: 767
10/18/10, 3:28 PM   #4
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

This was the largest crowd at Winchester for the 400 since the old ASA days. More campers there for the weekend and absolutely great weather. Young Mr. Elliott drove a great race and deserved the victory. We were listening on the scanner and Awesome Bill coached him masterfully on the radio. The kid didn't say very much but just drove it like he stole it. The last couple of restarts he just drove away from the field.

A shout out to the CRA series officials who now promote Winchester Speedway. Glenn Luckett, R J Scott and Greg Woods have brought this race back to the forefront. I hope they continue to promote quality shows and keep this grand old facility in the limelight.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

10/18/10, 4:54 PM   #5
PIT CART

I have to agree with you mud packer RJ, Glenn and others have really made Winchester a great race track. I was not there but I wish I was.

10/20/10, 11:37 PM   #6
Dusty Goggles

The winds of change are blowing at Winchester.....
DG

10/21/10, 1:34 AM   #7
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Its nice to see the old girl doing so well. was kinda worried in the early 2000s.
Posted via Mobile Device

10/21/10, 6:46 AM   #8
apexonephoto

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 35

I last went to the 400 in 2006 and really thought it was a good race. The level of cars at this years race must have made it something to see. I last went to Winchester on Labor day of this year and also seen a good race. Although not a lot of passing, the top three were really tight most of the race.

The ASA late models had 8 cars show up last Saturday for a 300 lapper at Iliiana. This is a week after they were required to remove anything at Octoberfest in Lacrosse that said ASA on it. Fender decals, haulers, and the like. Now this other who actually owns the ASA National Tour name says he is gonna remake the old series. I think enough of us on here have seen what riding the coattails of what was once a great series will get you no where. In the meantime the CRA Super Series has Chase Elliott, Ross Kenseth, Scott Hantz, Johnny Van Doorn, Jeff Fultz, Clay Rogers, David Stremme, Kyle Busch owned cars with either him, TJ Reaid or Josh Hamner racing. Glenn and RJ are doing a great job of keeping decent late model racing around and Winchester is benefitting from that.

I know this is an openwheel forum, but if you are looking for some decent racing when there is no other around, don't discriminate.

5 members like this post: 64chevy, 767, Danny Burton, IndyBound, Mud Packer
10/21/10, 4:30 PM   #9
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty Goggles View Post
The winds of change are blowing at Winchester.....
DG
I hope it continues on the current road it is on. The rumor mill has some disturbing news in my opinion. Say it ain't so.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

10/21/10, 7:48 PM   #10
#1jackhewittfan

Race Count This Year: 45

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Packer View Post
I hope it continues on the current road it is on. The rumor mill has some disturbing news in my opinion. Say it ain't so.
whats the rumor please tell.
Posted via Mobile Device

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Winchester 400