IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ghost Tracks - New Bremen
2/23/12, 1:21 AM   #1
Ghost Tracks - New Bremen
sprinter14

These long winter days make me think of my days as a "track hunter" finding Ohio's forgotten speedways. I have tracked down and located the remains of over 50 forgotten tracks over the years and thought you all may enjoy some photos.

These are of New Bremen Speedway in August of 2003. The track was leveled less than 2 years ago. I always held out hope that it would reopen ......... but never again now.

It was Ohio's first track built for auto racing and the first track in Ohio to try night racing. If my memory is correct, it opened in 1926. Steve Kinser won the last race, a WoO sprint race in 1981 and I believe that was when WoO still ran some non wing races!
Attached Images
NewBremen1.jpg (98.3 KB, 575 views)
NewBremen2.jpg (90.4 KB, 553 views)
NewBremen3.jpg (105.6 KB, 538 views)
NewBremen4.jpg (87.2 KB, 552 views)
NewBremen5.jpg (93.6 KB, 549 views)

2/23/12, 2:39 AM   #2
Re: Ghost Tracks - New Bremen
smith19

was there for that last race. nice track.

2/23/12, 9:43 AM   #3
Mud Packer

Race Count Last Year: 59

I never made it to New Bremen when the track was open. RacinBabe and I stopped by last year for a look/see. You could see the outline of the track but almost all of the structures were long gone. Sad to see the photos of a speedway in this condition. Thanks for sharing though. I always heard that it was a very racy joint.

Be nice to people on the way up. You might need them on the way down. Jimmy Durante

2/23/12, 10:40 AM   #4
sprinter14

If you all like the pics, let me know and I can post more ........ I may even post some more tracks.

Here is a range of pics showing the fans view of New Bremen from coming in the front gate/parking lot, to the ticket booth, the steps up the grandstand and so on. Notice that something was .45 cents at the last race.

I will post photos showing "a lap of New Bremen" later tonight.
Attached Images
NewBremen6.jpg (91.7 KB, 300 views)
NewBremen7.jpg (105.6 KB, 310 views)
NewBremen8.jpg (108.2 KB, 323 views)
NewBremen9.jpg (97.3 KB, 314 views)
NewBremen10.jpg (127.5 KB, 320 views)
NewBremen11.jpg (96.1 KB, 307 views)

3 members like this post: 500BOMBER, cowboyhar69, dirtball
2/23/12, 11:16 AM   #5
Seadog

I was there many times over the years. I saw it as a dirt track and as a paved track.

I recall Tommy Hennershitz passing the whole field from the back of the pack while the entire car threw rooster tails while he rode above the cushion. Amazing stuff.

Anybody remember those tasty chicken dinners after the racing was finished for the day? Sometimes on a hot summer Sunday, after the races, we would drive over to Lake St. Marys and go swimming...Nice.

I also recall as a lad of 11 or 12 my Dad driving home from there and we had the radio on. And they had a news flash on about Marilyn Monroe had just been found dead.

Memories come flooding back...the problem is I just don't know how accurate my memories are anymore.

2/23/12, 5:19 PM   #6
Chubs Peterson

There is a guy from New Bremen that has all kinds of memorabilia and other things from New Bremen Speedway and he is at some of the race car shows that are coming up. He is very knowledgeable and has some great photos and other things on the speedway. I can not recall the gentlemans name.

2/23/12, 6:59 PM   #7
cecil98

Those pictures are sooooo depressing.... I loved that track growing up!!!!!!! went there many times with my father, from when I was a little kid to a young adult..

1 member likes this post: cowboyhar69
2/25/12, 12:03 PM   #8
Tim Watson

Thanks for the pictures! Was it a half mile?

2/25/12, 12:54 PM   #9
cowboyhar69

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tim Watson View Post
Thanks for the pictures! Was it a half mile?
Yes,Tim it was....On my 12th birthday (June 2, 1963) I got to go to New Bremen but sadly Allen Crowe lost his life in a crash...if I remember correctly he was driving the Iddings Special #93 out of Greenville. On a bright note I remember the May 31st, 1964 race when A.J. Foyt was entered. A. J. won the day before (his second 500 victory) and my first Indy race and A.J. decided to take the day off and put Jud Larson in his Traco Engineering Spl....Jud rode the cushion and won the feature!! New Bremen has many fond memories for me...seeing Mario Andretti drive for the first time in the Rufus Gray Gapco #83, Don Branson, Bobby Unser and a bunch of others. Also saw Bill Vukovich the second win on pavement there in the Wally Meskowski #15 in 68 or 69.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy

2/25/12, 3:03 PM   #10
Tim Watson

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyhar69 View Post
Yes,Tim it was....On my 12th birthday (June 2, 1963) I got to go to New Bremen but sadly Allen Crowe lost his life in a crash...if I remember correctly he was driving the Iddings Special #93 out of Greenville. On a bright note I remember the May 31st, 1964 race when A.J. Foyt was entered. A. J. won the day before (his second 500 victory) and my first Indy race and A.J. decided to take the day off and put Jud Larson in his Traco Engineering Spl....Jud rode the cushion and won the feature!! New Bremen has many fond memories for me...seeing Mario Andretti drive for the first time in the Rufus Gray Gapco #83, Don Branson, Bobby Unser and a bunch of others. Also saw Bill Vukovich the second win on pavement there in the Wally Meskowski #15 in 68 or 69.

Tim Wolffrum aka Cowboy
It looked like it was a big half mile from that picture of the flag stand.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ghost Tracks - New Bremen