IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Dirt Track Legend Passes
1/8/14, 11:27 PM   #1
A Dirt Track Legend Passes
ISF

I know it isn't open wheel but a dirt track racing legend passed away this morning and his passing warrants a mention. Mr. Ernie Derr of Keokuk, Iowa died at the age of 92. Mr. Derr was a 12 time IMCA stock car champion and was a veritable master of the dirt tracks from the mid '50's well into the 1970's.

Rest in peace Mr. Derr, you were one of the best at what you did.

1/9/14, 9:05 AM   #2
Re: A Dirt Track Legend Passes
Sausage

Thoughts and prayers for the family. I saw him with Ramo Stott and the rest of the IMCA guys at the South Dakota State Fair in the mid 60's. As a young boy going to the Oahe speedway in Pierre on Sunday nights this was big time racing to me.

1 member likes this post: ISF
1/9/14, 1:14 PM   #3
darnall

I live in a very very small town in SW MO... back in the 60s and 70s there wasn't a racetrack within 60 miles... but I can honestly say that Ernie Derr is a legend among every living local man between age 50 and 70 that ever went to a race. Everytime somebody comes in my office and starts talking about racing Ernie Derrs name ALWAYS comes up.... I never got to see him race but he sure musta been something behind the wheel of those big old cars.... RIP Mr Derr.

1/9/14, 2:52 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

I believe Ernie Derr and Don White were related by marriage. I think Don married Ernie's sister, or vice versa.
RIP, Ernie!

1/9/14, 8:13 PM   #5
racephoto1

RIP Ernie, you were one heck of a race car driver.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > A Dirt Track Legend Passes