IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Five lap tribute
10/16/11, 8:53 PM   #1
Five lap tribute
Jonr

What were your thoughts of the five lap tribute at the end of the Vegas race. It seems like a really nice thing for the drivers to do, I was just wondering how it played out on TV. Also, did the people in the crash get out back up cars for the five laps?

Thanks
Jon

10/16/11, 9:04 PM   #2
reeserx

I thought it was a touching tribute..just sad to watch..i know the drivers voted to do it but I think it was the last thing they wanted to do..Dario was sitting inside his car crying before they did it, TK was just distraught and balling his eyes out..and to answer your question no drivers pulled out back up cars. It was just the remaining cars left
Posted via Mobile Device

10/16/11, 9:13 PM   #3
Re: Five lap tribute
LittleReject

I saw it and love it. It was an incredibly emotional thing to watch unfold. Probably 5 of the hardest laps those racers had ever driven. One thing I did notice though, the ABC broadcasters did a great thing by going silent for the 5 laps but you could hear the track announcers talking almost nonstop. Seems they should've gone silent as well...

10/16/11, 9:15 PM   #4
Honest-Sam

I think it was great and I can't think of a time that I've seen or heard of anything like it.
Posted via Mobile Device

10/16/11, 9:19 PM   #5
ThrottleHead

Very touching and emotional. I was glad to see it. The bagpipes playing made the tears roll down my cheeks

2 members like this post: 2HWrench, GFMMInc
10/16/11, 9:20 PM   #6
richie

It was a very nice tribute. The bagpipes amongst the silence of the crowd and the low rumble of the engines really got to me.

I'm not too emotional of a person, but it choked me up and had me in tears. One of the most emotional scenes I've ever seen.

5 members like this post: 2HWrench, AJFrancis21, Bruce Harrison, fish, GFMMInc
10/16/11, 10:37 PM   #7
short track scott

This entire day was surreal. It was one of "those" feelings all around the speedway as soon as it happened. The crowd gave two loud "Oooo"s and the second was much louder than the first. When Randy made the announcement, it confirmed the pall that had descended across us all.

The tribute was a unique and amazing thing to be part of. Something that regardless of how it 'looked on tv', no one will EVER wish to repeat. Standing on the line that close to the track felt as if I was an unwelcomed guest at a wake. Watching one lap was enough. The rest were endured with my head bowed, wondering how I could just get away from this and how the field was able to hold enough composure to go around five times.
Posted via Mobile Device

2 members like this post: cope42, Mud Packer
10/16/11, 11:01 PM   #8
gary curry

The tribute was very sad, but also a beautiful thing. I doubt that there were any dry eyes at the track. God speed, Dan.

10/16/11, 11:57 PM   #9
flatout

Only thing that could have made it better was to do the missing man formation on the last of the 5 parade laps. Don't know what it is about the bagpipes but they get me every time.

2 members like this post: 767, Bruce Harrison
10/17/11, 2:18 PM   #10

I thought the tribute was very nice. I commend the drivers for doing that. I'm not a big ABC fan, but the silence was nice, and not doing any interviews was the right thing to do also.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Five lap tribute