IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cage Lights
12/9/16, 3:42 PM   #21
Re: Cage Lights
hoscalecody

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mattmac05 View Post
To answer the raceciever comment, they are only as good as the people using them. Tracks require drivers to buy them and then they say maybe 3 words on it all night. They never say 1 till green (usually not important, but sometimes the flag men doesn't give the signal in time), rarely if ever say where a wreck is or that there even is a caution. And then the other problem is drivers not having them on, having it on the wrong channel, battery dieing, flying off the car, or headphones that short out under seatbelts
wow really that actually surprised me but i do believe it that some tracks only say little, most tracks i've been to which isn't much, but in several different states always kept you well informed. Out of all the tracks I raced or had raceciever while just spectating the most informed track was Waynesfield. Waynesfield and Dan Kelly usually always kept you informed 100% how many till green where a wreck was and if it was high, medium or low on the track. Also to comment on the lights I think they strictly only need to be on when there is a yellow or red flag. Don't have them on for greens or to show who is leading, one last thing is from every picture i seen they seem quite bright and distracting like most people said.

2 members like this post: Simon_says17, Will Shunk
12/9/16, 8:01 PM   #22
ModernDayDrifter

Race Count This Year: 47
Race Count Last Year: 37

Quote:
Originally Posted by sp6967 View Post
usac isn't going to make promotors do anything. looks like there going to put everything on the car owner. I believe the lights will only come on at yellows and reds. but your right, they are fugly. we will see what happens in a accident when you have more stuff to fly off. i am sick and tired of all of it.if they really do this i might just put my stuff on classifieds and see what i get.
First, let me start this by saying I am looking forward to you putting your "stuff" up for sale. See, by your comments degrading your own equipment and your comments degrading a sanctioning body for TRYING to do something tells me that you have no respect for the sport in any aspect of its existence. YOU are the kind of people this sports needs to ban from any portion of auto racing for all eternity.

What are you doing at this very moment to help out with the safety aspect? I have seen guys like T-Mez build some absolutely ugly cage add-on's in the wake of BC accident. Do I agree with it? I can see flaws, yes. Anyone can find a flaw in something. Thats subjective. What is not subjective is that THEY did not get online and blast a sanctioning body for making something like that mandatory. They had the initiative, the drive to do it themselves. Not to be selfish, not so they can brag to their buddies. Because they respect the sport, they respect the other drivers, the fans, and anyone else who was brutally hurt by the BC accident.

YOU get on the internet all high and mighty Joe saying things like "thats a real safety initiative. all another organization wants to do is put lights all over the place." (quote from another post about drug testing where you also try to make a point that USAC does not do this, and you were wrong) My question to you, have you any experience in this field? ARCA series uses these lights inside the cockpit, like USAC is suggesting, do you have the knowledge on how this dramatically reduced crashes involving cars 5 positions or further back? Do you know that when introduced many driver and team owners had bad things to say about it until they realized it works? Do you know anything at all?

How about we all reserve judgement, see how it works first. They may be just lights to you, but a roll cage is just steel, seat belts are just thread, and a HANS device is just a glorified neck brace.

If you do put your "stuff" up for sale, I'll even trade you for your "stuff" and your opinion... I have ocean front property in Montana for you.
Last edited by ModernDayDrifter; 12/9/16 at 8:05 PM.

12/9/16, 8:31 PM   #23
Jonr

Quote:
Originally Posted by ModernDayDrifter View Post
First, let me start this by saying I am looking forward to you putting your "stuff" up for sale. See, by your comments degrading your own equipment and your comments degrading a sanctioning body for TRYING to do something tells me that you have no respect for the sport in any aspect of its existence. YOU are the kind of people this sports needs to ban from any portion of auto racing for all eternity.

What are you doing at this very moment to help out with the safety aspect? I have seen guys like T-Mez build some absolutely ugly cage add-on's in the wake of BC accident. Do I agree with it? I can see flaws, yes. Anyone can find a flaw in something. Thats subjective. What is not subjective is that THEY did not get online and blast a sanctioning body for making something like that mandatory. They had the initiative, the drive to do it themselves. Not to be selfish, not so they can brag to their buddies. Because they respect the sport, they respect the other drivers, the fans, and anyone else who was brutally hurt by the BC accident.

YOU get on the internet all high and mighty Joe saying things like "thats a real safety initiative. all another organization wants to do is put lights all over the place." (quote from another post about drug testing where you also try to make a point that USAC does not do this, and you were wrong) My question to you, have you any experience in this field? ARCA series uses these lights inside the cockpit, like USAC is suggesting, do you have the knowledge on how this dramatically reduced crashes involving cars 5 positions or further back? Do you know that when introduced many driver and team owners had bad things to say about it until they realized it works? Do you know anything at all?

How about we all reserve judgement, see how it works first. They may be just lights to you, but a roll cage is just steel, seat belts are just thread, and a HANS device is just a glorified neck brace.

If you do put your "stuff" up for sale, I'll even trade you for your "stuff" and your opinion... I have ocean front property in Montana for you.
You beat me to the punch, but I agree 110% with everything that you said. For everybody who ever said BC strong, or Parked It for BC, or bought any of his merchandise after his death, improving the safety for USAC is part of his legacy. If you have negative words about improving safety, it is the same thing as kicking dirt on BC's grave.

If you remember back to the lengthy safety thread that was on this board a couple of months ago, BC's dad came on here stating that USAC was looking at a way to get quicker notification to the drivers. He also stated that USAC was looking at improving safety without rebuilding cars. Both of these lights will do exactly that.

I was sitting in the stands the night of BC's incident. It was a scene that I never hope to see again. If any of you have half a brain, you will thank USAC for the improvements and ask what else can we do. As the above poster stated, if you can't do that get the He!! out of our sport.

12/9/16, 10:56 PM   #24
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I got nothing against it. I think it's good to get guys wohed up as quick as possible. I Just feel it's not a solution to the problem of getting more cage distance above the drivers heads and honestly, neither is the Burton bar, however that will help with foreign objects entering the cage.

Im not suggesting USAC ever make it mandatory, Im suggesting that chassis builders look at making the back of the cage higher creating more space above the drivers heads. The Hawk Chassis already has it to some extent.

Im not expert, But what I've seen suggest a need for it. and BC wasn't the only instance and this goes for all three classes.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 12/9/16 at 11:08 PM.

3 members like this post: jdull99, jim goerge, Racer1039
12/10/16, 1:18 AM   #25
Scott Daloisio

As you can see below, we kind of had the same idea 2 1/2-years ago at Perris Auto Speedway. Note, it was on April 1st.

Perris Auto Speedway
18700 Lake Perris Drive
Perris, CA 92571
(951) 940-0134
http://perrisautospeedway.com/

For further information contact Scott Daloisio (909) 226-7768 or mailto:racesatthepas@aol.com

For Immediate Release

PERRIS AUTO SPEEDWAY WILL REQUIRE SPRINT CARS TO HAVE LIGHTS STARTING MAY 3rd!

(Perris, CA, April 1, 2014) Early this morning Perris Auto Speedway promoter Don Kazarian announced an elaborate plan that will save the track and others around the country millions of dollars. Beginning with the May 3rd race at the famous Riverside County clay oval all sprint cars will be required to have working lights

“I was lying in bed one night last December staring at the ceiling and trying to think of ways to save money,” Kazarian said from across his desk this morning. “I was thinking of all kinds of things and then it hit me. Our track is lit better than a majority of the tracks around the country, but man, those lights are expensive to turn on. I wondered how we could turn them off and be able to race in the dark. Then it was like a light switch went off in my head! We can require all sprint cars to install lights so we will be able turn off our high-priced lighting system.”

Kazarian was excited about his idea and could not sleep all night. At the crack of dawn, he called his golf buddy and former sprint car racer John Scott and asked if his company, Scott Engineering, could make a light bar for a sprint car. Scott immediately went to work on the project and had a prototype within a couple of weeks. The light bar looks just like the ones desert racers use and it will attach to the front of the roll cage. The unit weighs 41-pounds and is available now by calling Scott Engineering and ordering part number BS-4114,

“The light bar has three high beam lights mounted on it that should enable all drivers to see where they are going,” Kazarian said. “At least I hope it will enable the drivers to see where they are going. Just in case it does not work as well as I think, we are going to re-enforce the catch fences.”

Kazarian also said if the original lights are not bright enough teams will have to buy brighter bulbs. They will be for sale at the track for $74.99 each. Teams need to note and be aware that they can only use bulbs purchased from the track. Kazarian has more than enough bulbs to go around as he bought a semi load of them from a swap meet vendor in Tijuana.

The original idea and design only had the lights on the front, but then Scott planted an idea in Kazarian’s cranium.

“John suggested including the track’s signal lights, too,” Kazarian said. “We have signal lights on each straightaway and in the corners and they cost money to run as well. So, in the back of each light bar, we will have green, yellow and red lights. They will be controlled by an official in the press box. He will have the green on during racing conditions and when the yellow or red is needed, he will turn them on.”

Longtime sprint car racer and 2000 Oval Nationals champion Tony Jones, who has been contemplating a comeback, said the new light system is the thing that ensures that he returns to racing.

“Man, as many times as I was responsible for the yellow and red lights coming on in my career, this light bar may make it safer for me so I think I am coming back for sure now,” he said. Jones then commented on Kazarian, who he as has known since he was a child when his Hall of Fame racing father Bubby Jones drove for the Kazarian family in the 1970’s. “Donnie Kazarian is a genius. Next thing you know he will be turning the lights out in the bathrooms to save money.”

When Kazarian heard Jones comment regarding the bathrooms, it got his mind working again.

“Hey, I never thought of that, but that is a great idea,” Kazarian said. “Not only will turning the bathroom lights off save more money, but it can make some money, too. We can set up small stands next to the restroom doors and rent flashlights to people so they can see where they are going. I can get the flashlights from the same guy who sold me the bulbs for the sprint cars.”

Kazarian has shared his idea with several promoters around the country and he said they are very excited.

“The ones I have told about it think it is great,” he enthused. “There are several tracks in the country where they have already started selling off their light poles. This idea will definitely revolutionize racing and I can’t wait for May 3rd to get here to see how it looks and works out.” He then added with a wink and a smile, “Tell everyone to get ready to be a part of history and also tell them to have a very happy and fun April Fool’s Day.”

For more information call The PAS at: (951) 940-0134.

Camping for all events at The PAS is available for $25.00 per night. The campground will open at noon on Friday. Tailgating in the spectator parking lot will begin at 1:00 PM for all PAS events as well.

Perris Auto Speedway wants to thank its corporate sponsors for the 2014 season. 1-800LoanMart, 777 Racecars, All Coast Construction, Amsoil, Ayers Hotel and Spa, BlueLine Rental, Budweiser, CamGuard, Champion Towing, City of Perris, Daytona Boat & RV Storage, Edelbrok, Engine Pro, HD Industries, Hoosier Tires, K&N Engineering, McMahon’s RV, P.I.P.E., Pepsi-Cola, Pick-A-Part Auto Salvage, Prolong Super Lubricants, Running Waters Hospice, Scott Sales, Shaver Racing Engines, Sprint Car Driving Experience, Square H, Swedish Speed, Trench Shoring, US Foods and Valley Auto.

To keep up with all of the latest Perris Auto Speedway news, photos, gossip and receive special offers, sign up at The PAS Facebook site at: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Perri...8686480?ref=hl

You can also keep up with the latest news and receive special offers from The PAS Twitter site: http://twitter.com/perrisautospdwy.

You can also keep up with the latest news and receive special offers from The PAS Twitter site: http://twitter.com/perrisautospdwy.

Video and DVD productions of all racing events at Perris Auto Speedway are available from Loudpedal Productions. For more information on these productions you can contact them by calling (805) 844-3854, E-mailing mailto:trtruex@gmail.com or you can visit the web site http://www.loudpedalvideo.com/

Perris Auto Speedway is located on the Lake Perris Fairgrounds (home of October’s Southern California Fair), approximately one hour east of Los Angeles and one hour North of San Diego. To get to the track, take the 215 freeway, exit on the Ramona Expressway and go three miles east to the fairgrounds.

racesatthepas@aol.com is the only authorized Internet address to issue official media news released from The Perris Auto Speedway or Oval Entertainment

2014 PERRIS AUTO SPEEDWAY SCHEDULE
April 5 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES
LoanMart Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds, American Factory Stocks, CDCRA Dwarf Cars

April 12 "SO CAL SPRINT CAR SPECTACULAR" WORLD OF OUTLAWS, USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS & PAS SENIOR SPRINTS - "Power of Purple Night and The Drive to $100,000" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. First 200 Race Fans receive a FREE gift from the American Cancer Society.

April 26 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION II
Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's Spectator Racing - "Power of Purple Night and The Drive to $100,000" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. First 200 Race Fans receive a FREE gift from the American Cancer Society

May 3 USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns & California Lightning Sprints

May 17 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES
LoanMart Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds, American Factory Stocks, CDCRA Dwarf Cars

May 24 "Salute to Indy" USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS - 40 LAP MAIN EVENT
PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns & California Lightning Sprints
"Power of Purple Night and The Drive to $100,000" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. First 200 Race Fans receive a FREE gift from the American Cancer Society

June 7 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION III
Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's Spectator Racing

June 14 USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns & California Lightning Sprints

June 28 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES

July 4 "FIRECRACKER 40 & SKYCONCERT" USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS - 40 LAP MAIN EVENT - PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns & California Lightning Sprints - "Power of Purple Night and The Drive to $100,000" Benefiting the City of Perris Relay for Life and the American Cancer Society. First 200 Race Fans receive a FREE gift from the American Cancer Society.

July 12 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES

July 19 AMA SPEEDWAY LONG TRACK NATIONAL CHAMPIONSHIP

August 16 "CALIFORNIA RACERS HALL OF FAME NIGHT" USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns & California Lightning Sprints

August 23 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES

Sept 6 NIGHT OF DESTRUCTION IV
Demo Cross, Figure 8's, Trailer Figure 8's Spectator Racing

Sept 13 "GLENN HOWARD CLASSIC" USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS, PAS Senior Sprints, PAS Young Guns & California Lightning Sprints

Sept 20 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES
LoanMart Street Stocks, Super Stocks, Modifieds and American Factory Stocks

Oct 4-12 SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA FAIR

October 25 AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES

Nov 5 Budweiser Oval Nationals Practice

Nov 6 19TH ANNUAL BUDWEISER 360 OVAL NATIONALS - Presented by All Coast Construction -USAC West Coast & Southwest Sprint Cars

Nov 7 19TH ANNUAL BUDWEISER OVAL NATIONALS - Presented by All Coast Construction -USAC NATIONAL & USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS, PAS Senior Sprint Cars & California Lightning Sprints

Nov 8 19TH ANNUAL BUDWEISER OVAL NATIONALS - Presented by All Coast Construction -USAC NATIONAL & USAC/CRA SPRINT CARS, PAS Senior Sprint Cars & California Lightning Sprints

Nov 21 "CHAMPIONS NIGHT" AMSOIL OILTWINS.COM PASSCAR SERIES

Nov 22 TBA

Nov 26 Turkey Night Grand Prix Practice

Nov 27 AGAJANIAN PROMOTIONS AND PERRIS AUTO SPEEDWAY PRESENTS 74TH RUNNING OF THE TURKEY NIGHT GRAND PRIX - USAC NATIONAL & WESTERN STATES MIDGETS

Note; Schedule is Subject to Change

2 members like this post: dirtnonwingfan, jim goerge
12/10/16, 8:35 AM   #26
drob201

Something people don't think about is how hard it is to hear a headphone over a screaming race car. Only way I can hear them is when we were under yellow

2 members like this post: jim goerge, trannyman
12/10/16, 10:38 AM   #27
Speedsme61x

Make the transponder have red LED lights in it. Make it so it is slim, less than the width of the cage and install it on the right front up right post angled towards the driver. With technology now days it would only have to be 2"-3" tall. They come on when the red switch from the track is turned on. Get with the companies making the transponders.

2 members like this post: 2rock21, jim goerge
12/10/16, 11:10 AM   #28
The Old Coyote

I like the idea of the first three cars being identified. We folks that attend regularly and know the cars can keep track well enough. But, I can tell you as I continually bring new people to the track to encourage growth of our sport, the one thing they all mention is the difficulty of following the race as the cars spread out. Another suggestion would to have the green light blinking on car in the last transfer position qualification races.

1 member likes this post: fish
12/10/16, 11:57 AM   #29
Sandy Lowe

A transponder sends a signal to the timing loop. It doesn't receive anything.

3 members like this post: fish, JakeCroxton, jim goerge
12/10/16, 1:21 PM   #30
TheRoadrunner

Can't wait for 2018 we will have rear view mirror's and turn signals. A Racceiver does the damn same thing. Just extra expense to the racers who have hardly enough to make it to the track now. Now everyone has a raceceiver and now that's not good enough.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Cage Lights