IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville USAC
7/11/21, 1:12 PM   #21
Re: Knoxville USAC
duel

I went to the 1st one and hope I can go again. On the Friday portion, I was fortunate walking up to buy a ticket when I was given one to a suite above turn 2. After the 360 wing feature most in the suite left. They were not interested in the usac cars. 40 years of a wing culture at Knoxville. Not much respect for the sprint cars of usac there. Evident in them running the wing portion 1st.

3 members like this post: captrat, jim goerge, oppweld
7/11/21, 4:42 PM   #22
opnwhlmnd

I knew there was a good chance for it to rain out but made the 300 mile each way trip anyway. Had a great time hanging out at Dingus all night and am glad I made the trip. Even got to turn some laps at Slideways which was packed after the rain out.

I was hoping that Sweet Springs was a go for tonight but no luck.

7/11/21, 5:17 PM   #23
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
This was doomed from the start. The loss of Friday night coupled with inability to secure shows on either side of Saturday night eliminates lower budget teams from traveling. Having a local wing show does little to promote ideal track conditions. Next year they should return it to a two day show Hall of Fame weekend. Sprints and Midget both nights. Most importantly get all non wing and midget organizations to Co sanction or agree to not run against this event. Weekly tracks run non point races if they have to run. Cooperation one weekend of the year is not going to hurt any organization or track but could significantly help jump start the NonWing Nation back to its proper place of prominence!
We already have a big "event" in Indiana, the Smackdown at Kokomo Speedway. Thursday & Friday (USAC sprints only) paying at least $5,000 to win & $500 to start. Then the finale on Saturday with USAC sprints paying $15,000 to win & $1,500 to start (plus USAC regional midgets).

We can't even get all the tracks in Indiana to take sprints off their schedule for that weekend. No way they would do it for a race 300+ miles away.

Before I get bashed I completely understand that some teams may feel that they do not want to race at the Smackdown as it is not the right fit for them. But every sprint fan that chooses to go watch sprints somewhere other than Kokomo that weekend is potentially one less ticket sold at the Smackdown. That possible lost revenue is one more reason for Kokomo to keep the Smackdown from being an even higher paying event in future years.

Oppweld your last sentence is spot on:

Quote:
Originally Posted by oppweld View Post
"Cooperation one weekend of the year is not going to hurt any organization or track but could significantly help jump start the NonWing Nation back to its proper place of prominence!"

7/11/21, 6:38 PM   #24
cornerthree

And they loose about $5.000 on there reguarl show or more. From a good sorce

7/11/21, 6:47 PM   #25
flagboy55

I think you guys hit it spot on. If no other options were available some might leave the car in the garage and go as a fan if they choose not to race. Being in NWI which is/was basically Late Model country, a lot of racers who raced locally never missed a World 100 as a fan or participant. It was so important that the local tracks didn’t even run LM against it, or shut down for that weekend, and while it’s not 300 miles away it’s 200 from here.

3 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, jim goerge, Sandy Lowe
7/12/21, 10:59 AM   #26
sw1911

Last edited by sw1911; 7/13/21 at 8:57 AM. Reason: wrong item

7/12/21, 11:02 AM   #27
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by flagboy55 View Post
Lot’s of good points made on the thread. Myself and Oppweld were waiting for USAC to schedule a Friday race since the announcement of the trucks taking the the date. I think we all can agree that 2 days would’ve been more enticing for racers and fans. I know myself I decided to opt out once I heard it was a one day show. I have no desire to watch the trucks on Knoxville or any other track for that matter. I’m not proud of myself because I’m one of the crowd that wants to see big non wing racing, and tip of the cap to Knoxville for doing it, and I hope it continues. But honestly there’s really only one track that should host a big wingless race and that’s Terre Haute. I know it’s doubtful it would ever happen, I mean we can’t even get a Saturday race there, but one can dream
So how come the NWWC died? Calling Ron Shuman........................

2 members like this post: the1jet17, TNRustler
7/12/21, 12:10 PM   #28
flagboy55

I have don’t know why it died, but I’m guessing it had little to do with the venue. Why don’t you tell us? And speaking of Terre Haute I was on their website this morning and see we can mail armbands for the Sumar back to them for refund. Most of you might know this but I missed it. I’m also guessing that means no chance of rescheduling?

2 members like this post: jim goerge, tirespinner
7/12/21, 1:10 PM   #29
oppweld

Race Count This Year: 3
Race Count Last Year: 25

Not sure if it's still in effect but the PA tracks used to run non points races the week of the Knoxville Nationals so the Posse could go without being penalized point wise. I don't understand myself why everybody doesn't wants to compete at the Smackdown. Hopefully Husets will be a big success.

7/12/21, 8:37 PM   #30
oldfan49

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
If the cost of driving 6-7 hours one way to race for TRIPLE what a normal Usac show pays, let alone some local shows, is too much for non-winged drivers, then stop having it.

If it’s not worth the hassle of taking a weekend to go drive for a purse these guys might see one other time a year; so be it. Go back to running for peanuts.
did it pay 3X the normal start money?

3 members like this post: bighd0522, captrat, jim goerge
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Knoxville USAC