IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala
2/10/20, 7:21 AM   #41
Re: Ocala
ossuks

14 minutes of racing per night, 6 car heats on a 1/2 mile, glad i was watching on flo as to not waist an entire weekend and travel ect... Would be great if flo picked up POWERI, they seem to have the midget program figured out!

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/10/20, 8:29 AM   #42
Non wing lover

One of the problems with midgets is the smaller teams can't compete with the super teams and their$90,000 dollar engine programs.anigher how much is a usac midget purse? How much to win per event? Usac has to do something I count at five drivers maybe more that bolted for wing country.boesplug wise schurnberg.change or die.

2 members like this post: jdull99, tirespinner
2/10/20, 8:55 AM   #43
luckybuc97

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ossuks View Post
14 minutes of racing per night, 6 car heats on a 1/2 mile, glad i was watching on flo as to not waist an entire weekend and travel ect... Would be great if flo picked up POWERI, they seem to have the midget program figured out!

I believe Speedshift has POWRI covered or at least they did last year with excellent coverage and Chet doing most of the announcing.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
2/10/20, 9:02 AM   #44
Jerry Shaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by luckybuc97 View Post
I believe Speedshift has POWRI covered or at least they did last year with excellent coverage and Chet doing most of the announcing.
POWRi announced that they had signed a deal with Speed Sport and that the details would be released sometime before the season starts.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

2 members like this post: luckybuc97, tirespinner
2/10/20, 10:32 AM   #45
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
You had me at the 40 mods. To each is own. I will take 18 midgets over 35 wings every time.
Personal preference I guess, all I know is Volusia was PACKED, even on a Sunday and ocalas crowd was.....not very good maybe due to lack of cars, maybe due to winged cars 45 miles away I don’t know, the crowd sizes each night should say something

2/10/20, 3:56 PM   #46
captrat

I was around when WoO ate USAC's lunch years ago. They stood by and made no effective changes. Feels like it has the potential to happen again. This time it could be POWRi. Probably will not happen overnight, but if the current program continues the future seems at best certainly problematic for midgets and potentially for sprint cars.

2 members like this post: GlobalSpeedway Tours, tirespinner
2/10/20, 6:14 PM   #47
Hamby454

I went to bubba Saturday and Volusia Sunday. Throwing out travel, here’s my takeaway. Volusia is a top notch facility bubba is not. Volusia also has several other racing options throughout the month allowing them to bring in vendors for food etc. it has almost a fair feel which is a cool atmosphere. Bubba is kind of a **** hole. Based on, I believe a usac post, found on here saturdays start time was supposed to be 5:30. We showed up at 5:15 due to chilly weather And didn’t want to sit in it longer than necessary and cars were not on track until almost 6:45. once on track for unknown reasons they had 2 hot lap sessions for midgets. Sunday at Volusia it was made known that groups 1 and 2 were getting a 2nd hot lap session due to greasy track conditions. As far as the on track stuff I’d rather watch 20 midgets than 100 winged cars. The racing at Volusia was incredibly boring. They are fast, sure. But passing is minimal. If that’s your thing more power to you. I prefer to see action on the track. Bubba didn’t provide a lot of that either but still more than the outlaws did. Takeaway is USAC really needs to step up their show. WoO runs like clock work, even the support classes. With USAC everything is hum-ho all night. It literally feels like sometimes they are trying to drag the shows out due to lower car counts. My thought is on trips that have lower car counts, IE: Florida, PA, etc, why doesn’t USAC run the midgets and sprints the same night. Fixes the support class issue and gets you better quality racing for the fans. Then all they have to fix is running the program through and explaining to fans what’s going on. New fans don’t understand all the time with no cars on the track and nothing being said by the announcers.
All and all I still prefer USAC but can understand why the more common fan goes to WoO races.
Final thought, the $42 dollar general admission ticket for Volusia Sunday is ridiculous.
Last edited by Hamby454; 2/10/20 at 6:23 PM.

5 members like this post: addictedtodirt, bighd0522, erich45, oppweld, tirespinner
2/10/20, 7:56 PM   #48
Re: Ocala
Will Shunk

It appears that any traveling USAC fans are from IN. Non retiree Fans getting or using 2 weeks vacation to watch 5 nights of non wing racing in FL I think is a lot to ask of a loyal fan base. Most save vacation for midget & sprint weeks, smackdown, etc. that are close to home with a cost savings. That also goes for most racing teams. Either USAC gets more nights on track for 2 weeks or we at least have Bubba RP with quality over quantity. USAC stayed loyal to Bubba RP and vice versa, but the All Stars and USCS 360 wings did not return this year. I hope we have the opportunity to sit on our cozy couch and ***** about the racing streaming live from Bubba RP in 2021. I applaud USAC and their teams for trying the midgets for a second season in FL, Bubba RP for the effort and comittment to put on a show for their fans and the tourists, FLO racing for giving us a racing fix in February, and to the all of the non wing fans who stay loyal to traditional non wing racing on dirt.

3 members like this post: addictedtodirt, interpreter66, tirespinner
2/10/20, 8:12 PM   #49
WingedFan2019

Race Count This Year: 9
Race Count Last Year: 49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamby454 View Post
I went to bubba Saturday and Volusia Sunday. Throwing out travel, here’s my takeaway. Volusia is a top notch facility bubba is not. Volusia also has several other racing options throughout the month allowing them to bring in vendors for food etc. it has almost a fair feel which is a cool atmosphere. Bubba is kind of a **** hole. Based on, I believe a usac post, found on here saturdays start time was supposed to be 5:30. We showed up at 5:15 due to chilly weather And didn’t want to sit in it longer than necessary and cars were not on track until almost 6:45. once on track for unknown reasons they had 2 hot lap sessions for midgets. Sunday at Volusia it was made known that groups 1 and 2 were getting a 2nd hot lap session due to greasy track conditions. As far as the on track stuff I’d rather watch 20 midgets than 100 winged cars. The racing at Volusia was incredibly boring. They are fast, sure. But passing is minimal. If that’s your thing more power to you. I prefer to see action on the track. Bubba didn’t provide a lot of that either but still more than the outlaws did. Takeaway is USAC really needs to step up their show. WoO runs like clock work, even the support classes. With USAC everything is hum-ho all night. It literally feels like sometimes they are trying to drag the shows out due to lower car counts. My thought is on trips that have lower car counts, IE: Florida, PA, etc, why doesn’t USAC run the midgets and sprints the same night. Fixes the support class issue and gets you better quality racing for the fans. Then all they have to fix is running the program through and explaining to fans what’s going on. New fans don’t understand all the time with no cars on the track and nothing being said by the announcers.
All and all I still prefer USAC but can understand why the more common fan goes to WoO races.
Final thought, the $42 dollar general admission ticket for Volusia Sunday is ridiculous.
$42 is too high. as for the no passing Logan schuhart went from 25th to 5th in the feature that seems like a good amount of passing to me

2 members like this post: PIT CART, tirespinner
2/10/20, 8:38 PM   #50
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by WingedFan2019 View Post
$42 is too high. as for the no passing Logan schuhart went from 25th to 5th in the feature that seems like a good amount of passing to me
Logan Schuchart started 2nd and finished first.

Just have to ask if Ocala was so bad for you Friday why would you go again on Saturday? Just so you could bash USAC on a forum?

Some of the car count was from FMR Racing owner passing away. Lost J-Mac and Bacon there. The three car team that T-Mez drives for chose not to spend the money to come and I understand that. Also Kunz has only three cars and CMR only has two on a regular basis. Car counts should be fine back closer to home.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Ocala