IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
hacksaw (Offline)
  #1 8/18/15 5:53 PM
Full size midgets at Union County Speedway-Liberty,IN this Friday the 21st plus regular program. Hot laps at 7:00 and racing at 8:00. This is the group that runs at Montpelier Speedway every other week.
jjones752 (Offline)
  #2 8/18/15 6:17 PM
To be clear, most of the cars that will race are regulars at Montpelier and the same types of cars (National, Focus/Ecotec, Lightning/Mini, Kenyon) but no one who organizes the races at Montpelier are involved.
Hope to make it but we're chasing gremlins in the motor...

Jim Jones
Midwest Thunder Speed2 Midget #97
jjones752 (Offline)
  #3 8/18/15 9:31 PM
Maybe "gremlins" was the wrong choice of words....funny what you can't see in a dark pit area. I think the oil filter backed out; that rod sure looks like it got hot.

Jim Jones
DAD (Offline)
  #4 8/18/15 9:44 PM
Originally Posted by jjones752:
Maybe "gremlins" was the wrong choice of words....funny what you can't see in a dark pit area. I think the oil filter backed out; that rod sure looks like it got hot.
Jim

Not if but when.

Honest Dad himself
jjones752 (Offline)
  #5 8/18/15 9:56 PM
You got that right Dad, and completely without warning; guess the offseason starts early, figuring out how to switch her over to something 1000cc, water-cooled, universal motor plate.

Jim Jones
TQ29m (Offline)
  #6 8/19/15 9:55 AM
That isn't a pretty sight, even in the dark! Hell of an expensive way to end this short season, how many times were you out this season, bout like me, I ended the first part after my first time out, and have been trying to get ready for at least a couple more before the season ends, water temp gauge, radiator, chuckin pucks again, so I decided to do something else for a while, been playin with my Mustang, it's loud, and it's fun, and I think damn fine looking, got a couple of car shows coming up yet this month, so till I get parts in for my TQ, I'm riding in the AC! Good luck Jim! Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
jjones752 (Offline)
  #7 8/19/15 1:44 PM
Bob
I managed to hit 8 shows this year, not that far behind what we ran last year also due to rainouts. We ran 4 times at Montpelier, towed to Lincoln, IL twice when rain cancelled everything locally and once each at Putnamville and Union County. In spite of battling clutch, electrical and fuel system problems and finally grenading the old oil-burner I felt like I was improving as a driver every night. I made 6 out of 8 Mains,2 DNS, 2 DNF and two finishes. Last year, in the Mains I ran I finished between 2 and 4 laps down, and I set a goal this year to finish one on the lead lap; I managed that at Lincoln and in the other Main that I finished at Montpelier I was a lap down, and that was because I had to nurse a slipping clutch home the last 10 laps. So, even though losing the motor is a huge disappointment and probably the end of my season I have a lot to be happy about and I'm looking forward to better things in 2016.

Jim Jones
2 Likes: i love dirt track racing, Pat O'Connor Fan
TQ29m (Offline)
  #8 8/19/15 2:08 PM
Jim, it's been a while ago now, but I had some friends who were close brothers, and they bought a TQ, both had been around open wheel racing a lot, and both ran go-karts for a long while, and they bought a good, dependable car, and went at it, about 2/3ds of the way thru the first season, they both came to me, to tell me how they felt they were doing, which wasn't good, but then I didn't know how high they had set their goals, by this time they had changed quite a bit, their first set was to make every feature, and move into the top 5, by now, their goals were to make ONE feature, and finish it, as well as improve a lot in the heat races, and yet they were happy, they had learned a lot more than they had anticipated. For the next season, they came out with the best 410 sprint car Foxco could provide, they had a little better luck, but still not what they figured. As far as I know, that Sprint car is still sitting in the garage, with all the mud still on it, from the last time it was ran, but they are still happy, which makes it all good. It ain't easy is it Jim? Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!
jjones752 (Offline)
  #9 8/19/15 2:25 PM
If it was easy, I doubt I'd be having as much fun, or that I'd pull into the pits with the sense of accomplishment that I have, no matter the outcome.

Jim Jones