IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jacksonville Midget Series Championship Moved To Oct 23
8/16/21, 3:32 PM   #1
Jacksonville Midget Series Championship Moved To Oct 23
kdobson

I'll just repost my FB post. Our locals are familiar with the issue about when/what nights we race.

Important Announcement Regarding Our Event Scheduled For Sunday August 22nd.

We are moving our DIRTVision Summer Midget Series Championship from this Sunday August 22nd to Saturday October 23rd. We will not be racing at Jacksonville Speedway this coming Sunday.

I have always made it clear to our City and Neighbors that we DO NOT race on school nights except in the rarest of circumstances. As recently as this Spring when I was asking for approval to have our World of Outlaws Sprint Car Series event on a Wednesday night during school, I repeatedly told the City Council and Media that we will not race on school nights and personally believe it is a bad idea. I can play you video of me saying that to our elected officials...

Based on that commitment from us, the City has been very understanding and cooperative when allowing us an exception for our World of Outlaw event every few years. When we scheduled this coming Sunday's event back in January, I did not think school started until the following week. But the public schools start this week, and some schools in town started last week.

Although we could probably race this coming Sunday and "get away with it", there's no doubt that it would not only be going back on our word - the word we gave to get our last Outlaw event approved, it would also cause more difficulty the next time we ask for special exceptions for big events. It's hard to say "We don't race on school nights"... and then race on school nights. It's hard to break your word and then ask for a favor later.

This isn't any issue that has been raised by the City. Technically we can race on Sundays through August and really nothing can be done about it. But that ordinance was written years ago with the clear intention of not having car races on school nights. We can either use the loophole for our benefit - or do the right thing and realize what it meant.

There's no question that racing in the middle of town on nights younger kids need to be getting to bed for school isn't a good idea for anyone - especially when, unlike a series like the Outlaws, this one can be moved easily to a weekend night in October. Truthfully, if I had known back in January that Sunday would be a school night, I wouldn't have scheduled it for this coming Sunday anyway. So we really are just fixing a mistake.

We are putting together a great show for Saturday Oct 23rd. At the moment it looks like $5,000 to win Midgets and $2,000 to win 410 winged sprints. In the coming weeks we might look at even making it a 2 day event. But for now, what we need to do is move it to a date that works better for everyone.

No doubt this is an inconvenience for some teams that have made plans to be here Sunday. We are sorry for that. On this one, we are going to do the right and responsible thing and keep our word instead of trying to slip one by everyone hoping they don't remember later. With that we should continue to be on great footing to put on tremendous shows in the future with the support of the entire community.

Thanks

KD

8/16/21, 4:06 PM   #2
Dirtfan

Race Count This Year: 51
Race Count Last Year: 57

Thanks for reposting this,may just have to make the journey to Jacksonville in October!!

"Today is a Gift, Tomorrow is not Promised"

6 members like this post: BrentTFunk, Ken Bonnema, luckybuc97, oppweld, racenut69, wildman92
8/16/21, 10:45 PM   #3
wildman92

Race Count This Year: 50

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dirtfan View Post
Thanks for reposting this,may just have to make the journey to Jacksonville in October!!
Looks like our calendar will allow it!! ☺️🏁

4 members like this post: Dirtfan, Ken Bonnema, oppweld, racenut69
8/17/21, 8:40 AM   #4
Re: Jacksonville Midget Series Championship Moved To Oct 23
jonboat15

Mr. Dobson should write a book on promoting. Seems like he should be Promoter Of The Year almost every year.

8/17/21, 4:50 PM   #5
Re: Jacksonville Midget Series Championship Moved To Oct 23
racenut69

Agreed!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonboat15 View Post
Mr. Dobson should write a book on promoting. Seems like he should be Promoter Of The Year almost every year.

1 member likes this post: Ken Bonnema
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Jacksonville Midget Series Championship Moved To Oct 23