IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi Vs USAC Friday in IL
10/9/20, 5:20 AM   #21
TommyTipover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rpracing1 View Post
Possibly you will welcome National Midgets at the track that you own?
One does not have to be a track owner to recognize a crap track. Believe it or not fans are allowed to have and express opinions.

4 members like this post: bighd0522, billw, progressive22, tirespinner
10/11/20, 2:11 AM   #22
Re: POWRi Vs USAC Friday in IL
jim goerge

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
It's not a crown jewel race until it gets moved to a decent track. Wayne City is a crap hole track. It just happens to be in a relatively convenient location for both IL and IN fans. Moreover, like the man said, how many race teams really have a hard choice to make between the two races?
Is there any track that you like? I have only seen where you call all tracks crap. I myself would love to know what track you would call a good track.

10/11/20, 9:50 AM   #23
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by jim goerge View Post
Is there any track that you like? I have only seen where you call all tracks crap. I myself would love to know what track you would call a good track.
Tri City: I saw Larson-Rico-BC put on a midget clinic there millimeters off the wall. Good track. Saw Wolfie's last race.
I55: good track.
SFCR: good track
West Plains: good track
The Ditch: questionable due to poor grandstand maintenance, possible tire shredder
Knoxville: the best. Even the food is world class.
Arizona Speedway: raced all night with no track work and no dust, in the desert. Good track.
Springfield: good track. Tied with Knoxville for the food from the farmers across the street from the grandstands.
DuQuoin: one of the best. I wish I had not spent the last six Labor Days in Arizona.
Highland: too many potholes. Crap track.
Red Hill: I miss it. Seems like the location killed it. Thanks to Jim Mills for trying.
Clay County: borderline.
THAT: it has gotten better. The day the big cars refused to race due to the dust it was a crap track.
Lincoln Park: good track. Holds the record for the most race cars at a track at one time.
Lawrenceburg: no comment.
Bloomington: good track even though I have never seen the front straightaway.
Tri State: good track but they need to flip the start finish line.
Belle Clair: one of the best. It is hard to believe they used to pit the cars in that little infield.
Eldora: no comment.
Wayne County: see above.

With love,
Last edited by sw1911; 10/11/20 at 9:58 AM. Reason: add Wayne County

10/11/20, 11:14 AM   #24
opnwhlmnd

You had me at "SFCR: good track."

1 member likes this post: sw1911
10/11/20, 11:56 AM   #25
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
You had me at "SFCR: good track."
I was only there once but my recollection is good other than my ass was so cold on the aluminum bleacher that I had to leave before the feature ended. I think Derek Scheffel won. That was the day Tri City rained out and several of the Indiana teams drove on down to Farmington.

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
10/11/20, 1:16 PM   #26
opnwhlmnd

Quote:
Originally Posted by sw1911 View Post
I was only there once but my recollection is good other than my ass was so cold on the aluminum bleacher that I had to leave before the feature ended. I think Derek Scheffel won. That was the day Tri City rained out and several of the Indiana teams drove on down to Farmington.
Derek won that race on my advice. That was back in the McCreary SD, short for synthetic development, tire days. He was pitted next to me and was putting an SD 33 tire on for the feature. I told him that the track wouldn't go away enough to need the hard tire and the SD 23 soft compound would last 25 laps. He was the only one that ran the soft tire and won the race. I still have the t-shirt he gave me as his way of saying thanks.

SCFR has went way downhill since those days.

1 member likes this post: sw1911
10/11/20, 1:24 PM   #27
sw1911

Quote:
Originally Posted by opnwhlmnd View Post
Derek won that race on my advice. That was back in the McCreary SD, short for synthetic development, tire days. He was pitted next to me and was putting an SD 33 tire on for the feature. I told him that the track wouldn't go away enough to need the hard tire and the SD 23 soft compound would last 25 laps. He was the only one that ran the soft tire and won the race. I still have the t-shirt he gave me as his way of saying thanks.

SCFR has went way downhill since those days.
I was really good friends with his uncle Marty, who you probably met. He died of ALS a couple years ago.

1 member likes this post: opnwhlmnd
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > POWRi Vs USAC Friday in IL