IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
Joe@ScaleSprints (Offline)
  #1 7/1/14 9:19 PM
Looking for some more info on the popular numbers of the cars Dave has driven. Obvious to me so far is - 2 (Reid- Kokomo Honda), 2B (RWB), 3AC, 5 (WilkePak Midget), 9 (Lewis Midget), 11 (Walker), 21X (Leer), 36D (Obvious LOL), 39 (Goodnight), 41, 44 (Pace), 56 (Fox Silver Crown), 69 (Hoffman), 71 (Kunz), 71P (Phillips). Pics of the other cars would be a huge help. Thanks!
itsanonwingthing (Offline)
  #2 7/1/14 9:36 PM
#36 Earlywine, #5 Goacher, 04 Jerry Burton @ '11 Kokomo Klash, the 3AC was Don DeSalle

Keith Wendel
It's a Non Wing thing,.......you wouldn't understand!
Knoke77 (Offline)
  #3 7/1/14 9:39 PM
Didn't he drive some for Steve Chrisman? Would have been #25.
dirt in ur beer (Offline)
  #4 7/1/14 9:46 PM
Stupid question.... Why do they call him the peoples champion ?
randy j (Offline)
  #5 7/1/14 10:17 PM
Originally Posted by Joe@ScaleSprints:
Looking for some more info on the popular numbers of the cars Dave has driven. Obvious to me so far is - 2 (Reid- Kokomo Honda), 2B (RWB), 3AC, 5 (WilkePak Midget), 9 (Lewis Midget), 11 (Walker), 21X (Leer), 36D (Obvious LOL), 39 (Goodnight), 41, 44 (Pace), 56 (Fox Silver Crown), 69 (Hoffman), 71 (Kunz), 71P (Phillips). Pics of the other cars would be a huge help. Thanks!
Send me a pm and we can talk about photos

Got a few
KENDALLRACING (Offline)
  #6 7/1/14 10:35 PM
Drove for me on many occasions in New Zealand under "1USA"
In the International Series.
Lyndon Kendall;
Charles Nungester (Offline)
  #7 7/1/14 10:50 PM
Originally Posted by dirt in ur beer:
Stupid question.... Why do they call him the peoples champion ?
DD has several Championships USAC Sprint, midget, several track championships, LPS, Kokomo Been driving a sprinter since the mid-late eighties. Started with his Dad "Bob Darland" and has over the years become a fan favorite at most of the Indiana tracks.

Somebody stuck the "Peoples Champ" stamp on him and it stuck and it "WORKS" His other nicknames were "THE DEPUTY" and "DOUBLE D" the latter is still used.

Hope that helps, Couldn't tell you who came up with it, Probably Rob Klepper who was the *Voice of USAC* up till a couple years ago and now does Lucas Oil broadcast, Chili Bowl etc.

Charles Nungester
richie (Online)
  #8 7/1/14 10:55 PM
Maybe the most obscure car he was in: Subbing for Andy Hurtubise in the black/white Britt Tool #24 sprint car at the NAMARS Triple Crown at Bloomington Speedway in 1998.
richie (Online)
  #9 7/1/14 10:57 PM
Also drove the Mike Blake #81 in a handful of USAC Sprint Car races on pavement.
JakeCroxton (Offline)
  #10 7/1/14 11:20 PM
Wasn't there a 92 Crown Car pre-Foxco?