IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2019.
11/14/18, 5:52 PM   #21
Re: Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2
jahmo55

Infield Tires are the most unsafe Hazard at most of the Tracks we run. Our car was destroyed from a lapped car hitting a tire last week. Not the first time that's happened. Tracks too Lazy to build a berm........just throw a tire down there anywhere.

5 members like this post: Can26, flyer, luckybuc97, rmr6nm, spicoli
11/14/18, 6:34 PM   #22
Can26

Quote:
Originally Posted by jahmo55 View Post
Infield Tires are the most unsafe Hazard at most of the Tracks we run. Our car was destroyed from a lapped car hitting a tire last week. Not the first time that's happened. Tracks too Lazy to build a berm........just throw a tire down there anywhere.
Completely agree! There are several ways to get rid of them but they still seam to be everywhere.

11/14/18, 6:36 PM   #23
Slider20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baylands View Post
Adequate time? Does everyone realize all of these changes cost less than to powder coat the chassis over the winter? Depending on self sufficiency, it's about the same price as one new right rear tire. Nobody should be racing a Sprint Car with USAC if they can't afford a one time safety expense of several hundred dollars. We run Hooker ratchet seat belts to keep the driver more secure that cost $500 and are changed every two years. Should we be allowed to run them for another year or indefinitely because racing is too expensive?

I propose those who can't afford the modifications to sit out one race this year and therefore save enough money to make all the changes. I read opinions on how bad ass, and real men that Sprint Car racers are, then everybody acts like they're destitute, living in a van down by the river when it comes to spending the money to race. Sprint Car racing is for the successful racers from lower levels to move up and put on the best show on dirt, not for those that have to borrow money for gas in the tow rig to get to the races to put a worn out car on the track that causes yellows when it breaks. If you can't afford two pieces of Chromoly tubing welded to your roll cage, you shouldn't be on the track, because you also haven't rebuilt your steering gear, replaced worn rod ends, thrown out old and crashed front spindles, wheel centers, etc... Is USAC Sprint Car racing for the best in the business, or the playgound of the underprivileged?

"Teams in the many various USAC Sprint Car series across the nation will be provided a timely manner to update their current chassis for the 2020 USAC season as evaluation and the study of traditional sprint car needs continues."

Timely manner = Adequate time

11/14/18, 11:10 PM   #24
cshuman

I would have to respectfully disagree. Blunt pit entrance/exits, antiquated catch fences or lack of, random poles or fence post sticking up, concrete barriers with uncovered and exposed corners are just a few things that need to be addressed before infield tires. A simple fix for infield tires is just don’t hit them, it works the same for walls on the outside of the track, if you hit them hard enough, you are going to tear stuff up.

Quote:

11/14/18, 11:44 PM   #25
trackprep

Race Count This Year: 53

Quote:
I could debate your claim of lazy. Did the lapped car move the tire out on the track when it was hit

11/15/18, 1:28 AM   #26
KMM

I respect the hell out of you, but that's like saying dont hit the same blunt concrete edges and poles everywhere. I'll agree, they arent as "dangerous", but they eat up budget racer money more than anything via front ends and shocks. Sure, you can say "don't hit them", but weekend warriors dont always turn perfect laps on the bottom and it usually hits the second or third guy to the mess worse than the guy who accidentally hit one...

2 members like this post: Can26, luckybuc97
11/15/18, 10:28 AM   #27
cshuman

Lol That’s fine, we can agree to disagree but I will stand by my statement. When it comes to track safety I believe there are many areas that need to be looked at before we worry about tires marking the infield. All the things I listed come into play when a car has lost control, crashing, and is out of the drivers hands. Those are the areas I want fixed as a driver.

1 member likes this post: i love dirt track racing
11/15/18, 11:19 AM   #28
Heromaker

I will have to agree with Casey. Infield tractor tires are used to keep you out of the infield. If you want to play chicken with them and you crash, kinda sounds like you messed up and got what was coming to you. You don't get mad at the outside wall if you hit it....

3 members like this post: bigq11, mc/rider, PAW
11/15/18, 3:10 PM   #29
Rhody

Race Count This Year: 9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heromaker View Post
I will have to agree with Casey. Infield tractor tires are used to keep you out of the infield. If you want to play chicken with them and you crash, kinda sounds like you messed up and got what was coming to you. You don't get mad at the outside wall if you hit it....
I have never hit an infield tire while playing chicken with it. I have hit them when the car in front of me spun and left me no where to go, and when a car came flying across the track, tagged my RF and spun me into one. In both situations, if there was a berm and no infield tire, I would have spun and gone to the back. Instead, the car got torn up. I would rather have a guard rail to bounce off than a uke tire to bring me to a rapid stop. I have also seen the guy playing chicken with the infield tire hit the tire, bounce up a groove, and flip the guy trying to get by on the outside. Now there NEEDS to be an outside wall, there does not NEED to be a tire in the infield.

Sorry I contributed to derailing the topic. I am more interested in seeing water barrels in front of track entrances than removing the tires. They just seem unnecessary.
Last edited by Rhody; 11/15/18 at 4:16 PM.

2 members like this post: Can26, spicoli
11/15/18, 3:43 PM   #30
cshuman

I think there are people on here talking about 2 very different things. I have no intention to get on here and argue, that is just not productive at all. What I am taking about, and what the council has plans to address as far as track safety is track exits and entrances, catch fences, walls, etc. All areas that can help prevent injuries to drivers in crashes or unexpected situations. I understand your tire argument, even if I don’t necessarily see it the same way. I just don’t think it falls into the “track safety” category that is the focus of the council, but that being said I will bring it up as a concern at the next meeting.
Last edited by cshuman; 11/15/18 at 3:44 PM.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Rule changes encouraged; not mandatory for WAR Sprints 2019.