IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Point funds
11/7/18, 11:32 PM   #21
JDK222

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
Ironic, I asked this same question last year. So far nobody has been able to ask the first question on this topic:

How much do the USAC point champions get rewarded for winning their respective series? The original question from Flagboy has been deflected to what the WoO points pays, how much they spend to earn that and how far they travel.

Looking at the USAC travel dates, they go to FL, NE, IA, PN, NJ, NY, MO, KS, AZ, CA, and of course locally. That alone looks like some pretty extensive traveling to me.

I'd like to know what they get rewarded at the end of the year, but it must be a secret. It's certainly never publicized. Like Flagboy, just asking an honest question. Thanks
No secret it’s always been on USACs website..........

11/7/18, 11:39 PM   #22
Re: Point funds
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead748 View Post
On the other end of the spectrum, I'd say the local NW car spends in excess of $1000/race if they are good enough to win
We're about as cost conscious as they come. If you account for a motor rebuild every 30 races...
$200 of motor wear + $120 for four pit passes + $100 round trip for fuel in hauler and generator + $50 in sprint car fuel + $300 in tire wear + $50 in food

We're looking at $820 before tearing up any equipment per race.

As soon as you get in an incident you rack up about $1000 real quick. Plus occasional things break in the motor and tires pop without warning.

We ran 19 races this year and it cost us $18,000 out of pocket in 2018 which includes the pay back of our winnings for the year.

11/7/18, 11:46 PM   #23
Rpracing1

JJ
Does your bottom line include sponsorship payments?

And this is not USAC purse winnings either, correct?
Last edited by Rpracing1; 11/8/18 at 1:28 PM.

1 member likes this post: jim goerge
11/8/18, 8:25 AM   #24
BillV99

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDK222 View Post
No secret it’s always been on USACs website..........
Yes, it's not their web site, not hard to find. To make it easier, here is it...
http://www.usacracing.com/assets/fil...Incentives.pdf

1 member likes this post: WinglessLovers
11/8/18, 1:22 PM   #25
revjimk

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillV99 View Post
Yes, it's not their web site, not hard to find. To make it easier, here is it...
http://www.usacracing.com/assets/fil...Incentives.pdf
$20,000? That buys half an engine, right?
These guys need a raise!

2 members like this post: bighd0522, sprinter31
11/8/18, 1:38 PM   #26
motorhead748

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1jet17 View Post
We're about as cost conscious as they come. If you account for a motor rebuild every 30 races...
$200 of motor wear + $120 for four pit passes + $100 round trip for fuel in hauler and generator + $50 in sprint car fuel + $300 in tire wear + $50 in food

We're looking at $820 before tearing up any equipment per race.

As soon as you get in an incident you rack up about $1000 real quick. Plus occasional things break in the motor and tires pop without warning.

We ran 19 races this year and it cost us $18,000 out of pocket in 2018 which includes the pay back of our winnings for the year.
Excuse me as I don't get to a heck of a lot races any more but what results did this expenditure net?

11/8/18, 1:59 PM   #27
Kirk Spridgeon

Less than ten years ago, the USAC Sprint Car point fund totaled $50,000.

Then, they did the National Drivers Championship, which cut the individual series point funds some while paying $40,000 to Clauson and over $100K to the top-ten.

After that, the fund posted above ($103,000) was introduced in Sprint Cars. And they added an incentive program that hadn’t been done before, which was about $60,000 total.

The point fund for 2018 is $130,000. The champion receives $25,000. All together, the point fund & incentives are now over $200,000.

11/8/18, 2:10 PM   #28
BillV99

Quote:
Excuse me as I don't get to a heck of a lot races any more but what results did this expenditure net?
http://www.sprintcarratings.com/Driv...DriverID=19555

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
11/8/18, 8:08 PM   #29
the1jet17

Race Count This Year: 5
Race Count Last Year: 21

Quote:
We averaged 28 cars per race. 11 top tens. 3 top fives. We let some good ones gets away too. we were wrecked once while running top 5, We popped a tire running in the top 5, broke a right front spindle running top 5, and the dumb driver tried running Over Clinton Boyles on a restart (oops) running fifth at the last race of the year.

Also,

Yes those expenses include the money we received from sponsors. Without being on TV, social media is the only exposure companies get. So it’s tough treading.

Not a cheap sport.

11/9/18, 6:10 PM   #30
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by the1jet17 View Post
We averaged 28 cars per race. 11 top tens. 3 top fives. We let some good ones gets away too. we were wrecked once while running top 5, We popped a tire running in the top 5, broke a right front spindle running top 5, and the dumb driver tried running Over Clinton Boyles on a restart (oops) running fifth at the last race of the year.

Also,

Yes those expenses include the money we received from sponsors. Without being on TV, social media is the only exposure companies get. So it’s tough treading.

Not a cheap sport.
If I'm a budget team and that was my season I'd be proud of it. I'm sure you outran better funded cars every night.

The overall moral of the story is, there isn't a competitive car in the country operating on purse and/or point fund money. Hasn't been for a long time.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Point funds