IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prayers For Carson
6/11/23, 5:05 PM   #11
Re: Prayers For Carson
jdull99

Yes, great safety crew!

But why & the HECK did they make him walk that far to ambulance???

Should show this video to all racers who wana wear two piece fire suits and not any nomex underwear...

...Maybe they should Ad more body panels to these cars...NOT
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)
Last edited by jdull99; 6/11/23 at 5:14 PM.

4 members like this post: cornerthree, flagboy55, ginblueearth, Grocery Guy
6/11/23, 7:14 PM   #12
ginblueearth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grocery Guy View Post
PIT CART,

You're spot on. If not for the Knoxville safety team, this could have been a major disaster. Look how quickly and how many safety workers responded to the accident. How many other tracks could do what these responders did? This should be a wakeup call for all tracks. Study this video and learn! Thank you Knoxville team and the fellow drivers that responded.
When the world of Outlaws required the fire extinguisher on board, I made the comment else someplace else. that if they were concerned about the safety and were requiring the fire extinguisher. that they should also look at themselves. and get a traveling safety team and fire crew. like Knoxville or Medstar to my surprise, Got. my ass ripped. I was even told by one person. Why I expected the world of outlaws to have to come up with $1,000,000 to have a team like that travel with them. Now, just imagine if that would have happened last night at a track other than Knoxville. Where the corner workers were dressed in T shirts and shorts and had a 5 pound fire extinguisher. What a disaster it would have been. Instead of talking about a driver with minor burns on his neck, bruises and a broken rib. we probably would have been talking about the death of another driver in a terrible fire. I think it's high time the world of Outlaws. have a traveling safety team, fire crew with them at every race track. They go to. just for something like we've seen last night. usac. And the All Stars should have the same thing. Their driver's safety should be their number one concern. For everyone that thinks this is ridiculous. Ask Ask the drivers that went into that fire. To get Carson out. ask them if it's ridiculous to have a good safety team and fire crew. traveling with them. Ask them if they would like somebody like Medstar or Knoxville's team. See what they say. Somebody in T shirts or shorts with a 5 pound fire extinguisher. or someone in fire suits. and fire equipment that can put a fire out and save a driver's life. Do you wanna Rap my ass now? If you do find the video of last night and watch it a few times, Then think about it. Glen Murra

3 members like this post: Bostonian, DirtTrackTherapy16J, Rcar
6/11/23, 7:26 PM   #13
DirtTrackTherapy16J

Quote:
Originally Posted by ginblueearth View Post
When the world of Outlaws required the fire extinguisher on board, I made the comment else someplace else. that if they were concerned about the safety and were requiring the fire extinguisher. that they should also look at themselves. and get a traveling safety team and fire crew. like Knoxville or Medstar to my surprise, Got. my ass ripped. I was even told by one person. Why I expected the world of outlaws to have to come up with $1,000,000 to have a team like that travel with them. Now, just imagine if that would have happened last night at a track other than Knoxville. Where the corner workers were dressed in T shirts and shorts and had a 5 pound fire extinguisher. What a disaster it would have been. Instead of talking about a driver with minor burns on his neck, bruises and a broken rib. we probably would have been talking about the death of another driver in a terrible fire. I think it's high time the world of Outlaws. have a traveling safety team, fire crew with them at every race track. They go to. just for something like we've seen last night. usac. And the All Stars should have the same thing. Their driver's safety should be their number one concern. For everyone that thinks this is ridiculous. Ask Ask the drivers that went into that fire. To get Carson out. ask them if it's ridiculous to have a good safety team and fire crew. traveling with them. Ask them if they would like somebody like Medstar or Knoxville's team. See what they say. Somebody in T shirts or shorts with a 5 pound fire extinguisher. or someone in fire suits. and fire equipment that can put a fire out and save a driver's life. Do you wanna Rap my ass now? If you do find the video of last night and watch it a few times, Then think about it. Glen Murra
To your defense...I personally and members of my family and friends have been rescued by KPD, Howard County Sheriff Department, Galveston Volunteer Fire Department, etc. Although I appreciate and respect first responders, when it comes to racing the best example I see personally in person is The Lawrenceburg Fire and Safety Crew.

They travel to many many races in Indiana. They do an excellent job and I agree with a traveling safety crew. It does appear to help. Glad Carson is still alive, walking, and talking bc it sure as h*** could have been alot worse.

6/12/23, 5:51 AM   #14
Andrew S. Quinn

Quote:
PIT CART,

You're spot on. If not for the Knoxville safety team, this could have been a major disaster. Look how quickly and how many safety workers responded to the accident. How many other tracks could do what these responders did? This should be a wakeup call for all tracks. Study this video and learn! Thank you Knoxville team and the fellow drivers that responded.
They were saying the same thing 31 years ago......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u8nOVrsHMTA

3 members like this post: flagboy55, Ilovedirttrackracing, PIT CART
6/12/23, 7:40 AM   #15
Jonr

Quote:
I am not going to argue the point because I believe the same thing that you do. There are way too many tracks where fire safety is a joke. However, are you willing to pay $5 to $10 dollars more per show to pay for the traveling fire protection crew?

While there are some shows that are repeated money makers, there are plenty of shows where the promoters loose money. If we are going to increase the cost to produce the shows, we need to realize that the cost has to be passed on to someone.

1 member likes this post: OnTheHammer
6/12/23, 8:35 AM   #16
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
PIT CART,

Burg, But as we've seen, some things are beyond any safety teams ability. these guys train and train, actually use binoculars and visual to check that safety gear is on drivers, gas caps are on.

So when your in the stands *$(#&$ about how long they're on the track cleaning up etc. Just put yourself in the drivers seat and be thankful for em.

6/12/23, 12:41 PM   #17
Daisy's dad

Quote:
This whole "traveling safety team" is a much more complex issue than most would comprehend. There is a lot of ******** involved. You have to take into consideration individual city, county and state requirements regarding training levels, licensing of those providing these services, fire-fighter union agreements, etc. Whatever level of training this traveling crew might have, may be acceptable in one county or state, but not in the next one they travel to.

Do you ever notice when you are at a race track that has a standby ambulance, and a driver gets injured and requires transportation to the hospital, the ambulance treats and loads the patient, and then retreats back to the infield to sit on their hands until the full fire department contingent arrives from the closest (or not so closest) neighboring town? That is all due to contractual obligations on who can and who can't.

I'm aware of at least one area of the country that requires any entity who provides EMS/Rescue service to have a physician medical director on staff. What physician would be licensed in multiple states to provide oversight to this traveling safety team?

As far as whether this team only provides fire fighting and extrication services and not actual patient care, there is an overlap involved in both services, and when the lawyers get involved in who did what, it will get interesting very quickly.

1 member likes this post: OnTheHammer
6/12/23, 12:46 PM   #18
Daisy's dad

I'll substitute the phrase "political action" for the deleted word.

6/12/23, 1:28 PM   #19
cornerthree

Quote:
Originally Posted by dsc1600 View Post
Even with the great Knoxville safety crew, there seems to have been issues getting him out of the car. No one seemed to have anything to cut the belts with. Hopefully that is something they improve upon. This year has been awful with accidents that could have had a lot worse outcomes than they did.
Saw a video from the infield after the fire was out. Had to be 20 members of the safety crew around the car. And not one could cut the belts, someone ran into the pits to get something. I couldn't believe they didn't have anything all EMT have one on their belt.

6/12/23, 3:49 PM   #20
Rich Mersereau

Race Count This Year: Lots
Race Count Last Year: Lots

The biggest issue is the left side body panel that makes it impossible for anyone to reach in and release the belts. Cutting them off is not the answer.

3 members like this post: 2fast4u, Charles Nungester, PIT CART
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Prayers For Carson