Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500
5/28/19, 1:04 PM   #41
Re: Little 500
ISF

[quote=racer-x;514088]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post
Oh, we're as passionate as anyone or we wouldn't bother traveling 4 hours one way and make the monetary commitment to attend. As I said, my wife is 5' 3" and when average size people stand up in front of her she can't see anything but those people's backs and the backs of their heads even if she stands up herself. When those same average sized people stay seated she can see perfectly even while seated herself. She would like to be able to see the action as much as anyone else.{quote}

I understand the seating is kinda tight there with so many people in the stands. Our seats were the second row from the top off turn 4 and we didn’t even walk up the stairs that far. We just decided to sit towards the bottom part of the bleachers so my couple episodes of my ADD kicking in probably wasn’t a problem. If I ever block your view just tap me on the shoulder and I will keep it to a minimum..
Believe me, we appreciate your considerate gesture. Thank you.

Some of our first journey's to Eldora was back in the late 1980's when Terry Baltes was doing the PA announcing at Big E. He would announce several times throughout the racing program to please stay seated so shorter women and younger people could have the same opportunity to see the action. We haven't heard that announced at a race track for sometime now (it should be a regular part of announcing), in fact, it's the opposite. The announcers incite the crowd to get on their feet at the start and at critical junctures of the action.
Last edited by ISF; 5/29/19 at 12:54 AM.

2 members like this post: erich45, tirespinner
5/28/19, 3:36 PM   #42
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

When 1 to go singal is given; that is the sign to the stands to sit down. When the speedway is green meat in the seat.

Standing to see a wreck is also stupid, because you have to take attention off the events to make the decision to stand. Maybe it's more automatic for some so I live with it.

But standing for the start, restarts, and finish is an annoying A hole thing to do. You aren't showing your passion, you're showing a lack of respect for everyone else's view and good time.

I don't know how it became culture in NASCAR, but it needs to be halted and explained and corrected so it doesn't take over bigger short track events.

If it's yellow and your back and butt need a break; have at it. If you complain about people standing during yellow, the A hole role has flipped.
Last edited by brsteg; 5/28/19 at 3:41 PM.

5/28/19, 3:40 PM   #43
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

[quote=ISF;514117]
Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post

We haven't heard that announced at a race track for sometime now (it should be a regular part of announcing), in fact, it's the opposite. The announcers incite the crowd to get on their feet at the start and at critical junctures of the action.
Thankfully it is part of the show with the World of Outlaws; as Johnny announces, we asked you to stand and now we ask you to sit for the start so that everyone around you can enjoy.

That needs to be adapted to all major national traveling series like USAC, Lucas Oil Late Models, etc. as enthusiasm grows, grounds generally grow and become more diverse. It's the culture you present. Have a good time, but be respectful of everyone else's good time.

5 members like this post: ISF, Jim Gardner, luckybuc97, spicoli, tirespinner
5/28/19, 10:11 PM   #44
ISF

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
When 1 to go singal is given; that is the sign to the stands to sit down. When the speedway is green meat in the seat.

Standing to see a wreck is also stupid, because you have to take attention off the events to make the decision to stand. Maybe it's more automatic for some so I live with it.

But standing for the start, restarts, and finish is an annoying A hole thing to do. You aren't showing your passion, you're showing a lack of respect for everyone else's view and good time.

I don't know how it became culture in NASCAR, but it needs to be halted and explained and corrected so it doesn't take over bigger short track events.

If it's yellow and your back and butt need a break; have at it. If you complain about people standing during yellow, the A hole role has flipped.
Sir, you summed it up quite correctly and precisely from start to finish. My wife thanks you!

[quote=brsteg;514122]
Quote:
Originally Posted by ISF View Post

Thankfully it is part of the show with the World of Outlaws; as Johnny announces, we asked you to stand and now we ask you to sit for the start so that everyone around you can enjoy.

That needs to be adapted to all major national traveling series like USAC, Lucas Oil Late Models, etc. as enthusiasm grows, grounds generally grow and become more diverse. It's the culture you present. Have a good time, but be respectful of everyone else's good time.
True that!

It seems to become more pervasive as time goes by and contacting promoter's regarding this problem would probably start a trend in the right direction. As you indicate, the announcers could alleviate much of the problem if they would. But, unfortunately, some do just the opposite.
Last edited by ISF; 5/28/19 at 10:13 PM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
5/29/19, 12:29 AM   #45

Race Count This Year: 14
Race Count Last Year: 24

All it takes is one to stand up. If they stay up the one behind stands and so on. Problem is you sit all night and everyone positions themselves for best viewing then we all stand and the only one with a good view of the finish is the butt head that stood up first.

3 members like this post: erich45, ISF, tirespinner
5/29/19, 9:54 AM   #46
Offy22

Sprint car fans have traditionally been the best at watching from their seat. With the influence of NASCAR it has become a bigger problem to keep fans from standing.

3 members like this post: interpreter66, ISF, tirespinner
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Little 500