IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Self Starter Sprint car
1/12/16, 9:17 AM   #1
Self Starter Sprint car
jaydwolf@gmail.com

I have a 90's WOO sprint car I would like to make a self starter for exhibition.
Does anyone have an plans for the carrier bearing needed to install a Ram Coupler, or other ideas.

1/12/16, 10:48 AM   #2
Re: Self Starter Sprint car
darnall

Depending on how hard hitting the motor is there is a much easier way to make a sprintcar self starting...but it does have a minor inconvenience. I used to run a 305 class that had to be self starting. All we did was add a flexplate to the end of the crank, cut a big hole in the motorplate to accept it, and put a spacer on the back of the motorplate for a second plate to sandwich the flexplate.

The car can be started to warm the motor out of gear, or can be locked in gear to allow the starter to drag the car forward until the motor fires. Works great for convenience, but wouldn't work if your intent was stop and go driving like in parades and such.

1/12/16, 1:35 PM   #3
jaydwolf@gmail.com

The motor I am running so just a warmed over 350 under 300 HP. Not that I want to do parades but I would like to move it from the trailer to the display area and from the display area to the track and back to the trailer without having to take a quad along. I have seen similar using a Mercruiser bellhousing and moving the engine forward about 1 inch or so.

1/13/16, 7:58 AM   #4
the visitor

check out Northeast wingless sprint cars .....they run at New Egypt speedway in New Jersey
They use a set-up with 2 speed transmission and a starter from a Modified....very short set-up it has a clutch in the transmission, I think you can even get them with a reverse in them.
I believe the drive shaft only needs to be shortened about 2 inches and it's not too bad price wise .
They have a facebook page also...

1 member likes this post: fish
1/13/16, 8:23 AM   #5
racer5c

Quote:
Originally Posted by the visitor View Post
check out Northeast wingless sprint cars .....they run at New Egypt speedway in New Jersey
They use a set-up with 2 speed transmission and a starter from a Modified....very short set-up it has a clutch in the transmission, I think you can even get them with a reverse in them.
I believe the drive shaft only needs to be shortened about 2 inches and it's not too bad price wise .
They have a facebook page also...

bert transmission I have one in my vintage sprint car

1/13/16, 10:26 AM   #6
jaydwolf@gmail.com

I have looked at Bert's a and would like to go that way but used torque ball ones are hard to find and an a new set up is over $3500 plus shaft modifications. I may have top go that was but I was hoping to go a little cheaper.

https://www.circletracksupply.com/be...print-car.html

1/13/16, 12:17 PM   #7
bzneil

The Winters Pheonix transmission is also a 2 speed set up for torque ball. I feel it has a little bit better packaging than the bert if you don't want to move the motor forward. It will barley fit in my midget so that gives you an idea of how compact it is.

1/14/16, 4:00 AM   #8
ufbu812

I have a complete brand new Bert 2 speed I would like to sell. Very reasonable price too........ PM me if interested and I can send pics.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Self Starter Sprint car