IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some positives
7/23/23, 11:44 PM   #1
Some positives
The55

There are a lot of posts here that focus on what I will call minutiae, the negatives regarding what is happening with sprints. I would like to point to a couple of positives. I read every year about the death of sprint cars due to rising costs of tires, fuel, etc yet there were over 50 cars at the first two ISW events. I made it to Kokomo last night and the racing was intense and awesome. GYATK is the acronym most often used but I will throw out KDD, Kokomo Doesn’t Disappoint. A ton of cars on the track that was great all night. Finally, a huge crowd and I saw a fair amount of younger fans as well. A great night and I plan to make Terre Haute this week as well. Enjoy the big picture and worry less about the small things.

7/24/23, 12:15 AM   #2
JarrettFarms73

I was kinda wondering the same thing- or at least near the same thing. Wasn’t Extreme suppose to be the “death blow” for USAC? If this is what life after death looks like, then Heaven’s gonna be even better than already imagined!!

7/24/23, 5:03 AM   #3
opnwhlmnd

USAC is showing weakness. Only 35 cars on a Sunday night at Lawrenceburg.
Think this is the year that POWRi finally achieves their stated goal of putting USAC out of business.
The health of the sport can then start to rise.

3 members like this post: BrentTFunk, duel, Hustlin-Hoosier
7/24/23, 9:23 AM   #4
Hubie48

Larryburg is a known engine killer. Your already racing the cream of the crop not to mention hauling tail.

2 members like this post: racenut69, tirespinner
7/24/23, 9:56 AM   #5
Re: Some positives
yeleyfan76

Quote:
Originally Posted by JarrettFarms73 View Post
I was kinda wondering the same thing- or at least near the same thing. Wasn’t Extreme suppose to be the “death blow” for USAC? If this is what life after death looks like, then Heaven’s gonna be even better than already imagined!!
Funny how after Extreme got involved and then left the Usac schedule starts to pay better money. It only took what 10 Extreme races to make it happen. Without rehashing all of what we did last year, it is a little too coincidental that you think things are so great now. Hopefully the utopia you feel we are in continues to improve and they pay more money.

4 members like this post: flagboy55, oppweld, PIT CART, progressive22
7/24/23, 10:33 AM   #6
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

I'll not go into the motors and tires, Some of that is a fact at Burg, THAT and some others. But the tear stuff up happens everywhere. Im not sure but I think last night had the highest cars running at finish than the first two nights. Tore up cars and totaled chassis, about the same.

The worry for me is the number who go straight from Midgets to Winged racing. I mean we've got some great young drivers. Moles, Pursley, Axom and several of them Texas/Pa guys run darn good. The CA-AZ pipeline they just seem to move here

The 360 definitely translates into good racers for top tier. The problem is unless they can get a 410 they're lucky to make the show when National Arrives at many tracks .

Anyway, The positive to me. THIS IS A GREAT SPRINT WEEK. DON'T MISS EM if you can go, GO!

Are several good enough to go winged racing and make more $$ Yes, but you better have deep deep pockets behind you to get to that point where you can because most of their big shows, half are on the trailer before the $$ race.

Another positive, The Windom, Courtney leaving doom and gloom isn't happening.

Im glad there is some more $$ being put up. I still think FLO owes USAC a big 30k to win 1000 to start race with a decent payout in between. USAC is responsible for over 90 shows, and who know's how many subscribers.

I'd love to see the numbers of subscribers watching per race. But Im sure that's CLASSIFIED.
Last edited by Charles Nungester; 7/24/23 at 10:39 AM.

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
7/24/23, 11:18 AM   #7
BrentTFunk

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeleyfan76 View Post
Funny how after Extreme got involved and then left the Usac schedule starts to pay better money. It only took what 10 Extreme races to make it happen. Without rehashing all of what we did last year, it is a little too coincidental that you think things are so great now. Hopefully the utopia you feel we are in continues to improve and they pay more money.
Actually USAC had stepped up last year, and stepped up even more this year. Really it is the promoters who put up more money. USAC just provided a stable platform to do it.

7/24/23, 2:33 PM   #8
tirespinner

That’s what I was thinking!

7/24/23, 5:07 PM   #9
flagboy55

One big positive from GC was pushing qualifying on the white flag, kept it going quickly and efficiently. I don’t know why it’s not done more often. Even if you have to push out of the infield.

2 members like this post: Hustlin-Hoosier, oppweld
7/25/23, 12:13 AM   #10
openwheelfan1

I think one of the reasons you see so many good, successful midget drivers go to winged racing is due to the similarity in driving styles between the two. Midgets are all about momentum and not scrubbing speed, and the same with winged sprint cars. On the positive side, we are seeing more drivers from the mini/micro circuits of Oklahoma and Texas make their way in to non-winged sprints and come compete in the Midwest.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Some positives