IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington sold?
6/12/18, 10:49 AM   #1
Bloomington sold?
cmiracingvids

Saw a rumor that hopefully someone can clear up, that Bloomington Speedway was bought by IU. Anyone have any hard information on this subject?

6/12/18, 11:03 AM   #2
Re: Bloomington sold?
hilly

Race Count This Year: 4

As of now, the Monroe County GIS still shows Mitchell Realty Holdings as the owner of the property and has been since 1999. If it sold, it won't take long for the GIS to update that info....I'll keep checking....

6/12/18, 10:03 PM   #3
Built-N-Stagger

While not impossible, I have serious doubts. The property has been owned by the Mitchell family since the early 1900’s.
What wouldn’t surprise me is if the current lease holders sold their lease, I wasn’t there but saw a Facebook post from last Friday night of the grandstands and there were very very few people in the stands.
Very sad situation in Bloomington.

6/13/18, 4:31 PM   #4
ronmil

Race Count Last Year: 48

If they want more butts on the boards, they need to run 410 sprint cars on a regular basis. I would hate to see Bloomington cease to exist as it is the only Friday track that is practical for me.

6/13/18, 5:05 PM   #5
brsteg

Race Count This Year: 8
Race Count Last Year: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by brsteg View Post
Now I'm just talking to myself BUT... This is indeed worst case but not an impossibility.

It's easy to beat up the schedule maker. But it's about balance and weighing risks. I think not running 410's is a bigger risk than they are thinking. It probably seems safe since the bulk of their payout is off the night's card.
But 410's is what brings the people; and further more non-410 nights are not a ticket price reduction of any kind. This seems to be what they have chosen to go with; we'll see if it works.

I hope to be at atleast 3 this year (USAC, ISW, Burton Memorial) and maybe a 4th for some random weekly show with 410's.
Racing without a headline class and charging the same amount did not sound like a way to build, or keep, a fan base to me.

6/13/18, 8:33 PM   #6
Greatful Ted

Food for thought. IU golf course is closed for the construction of a new hospital
and I can't find out where the new IU course is being built.

1 member likes this post: motorhead748
6/13/18, 9:18 PM   #7
btg1963

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greatful Ted View Post
Food for thought. IU golf course is closed for the construction of a new hospital
and I can't find out where the new IU course is being built.
That would be one heck of a red clay bunker!

1 member likes this post: dirt330
6/13/18, 9:31 PM   #8
Boat

Race Count This Year: 17
Race Count Last Year: 5

Golf course is going to be in the same spot. They are losing the driving range to the hospital & are going to renovate & slightly alter the old golf course layout. It doesn't seem like the location of the speedway fits in with IU's other facilities, but I have no inside scoop. The nightmare that is 37 doesn't help their situation. Thought the track was really good at the April USAC race. Hoping for good luck for the future of the track.

5 members like this post: BrentTFunk, dirt330, oppweld, spicoli, superstock30
6/13/18, 9:53 PM   #9
KingRandomUser

Thankfully 37 is getting closer to being done. They are nearly done paving the entire Northbound side from i69 to about where the Vernal Pike intersection was. Southbound has the far right lane and shoulder to do. While 37 is currently 1 lane in this area these should open up soon. Work should then transition from Vernal Pike to the North. A small victory, lots of work to do though.

Another factor for poor attendance can likely attribute to employers not being as flexible as in years prior. Making it harder for most to be off in time to even show up much less race.

6/13/18, 11:11 PM   #10
Rpracing1

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmiracingvids View Post
Saw a rumor that hopefully someone can clear up, that Bloomington Speedway was bought by IU. Anyone have any hard information on this subject?
So what was the origin of this rumor? That info could possibly shed further light. Please divulge source.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Bloomington sold?