IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets
12/1/15, 2:51 PM   #1
USAC and D2 Midgets
DAD

From what I gather reading Face Book "DO" is supposed to be talking about USAC's new Division of D2 Midgets tonight.

Honest Dad himself

12/1/15, 6:44 PM   #2
Re: USAC and D2 Midgets
chop

Ok I have question for the people in the midget world. I understand the "national engine" I think I understand the "D2 engine" class. This were I am a little lost, USAC has a sealed Honda engine. This is the replacement for the old Ford focus program. So if I buy a sealed Honda engine. Can I race another place/class other then in a USAC "Honda" class race? Would the Honda engine be allowed to race with the USAC national engine class. Would the Honda engine be equal to a "D2" class engine (size-horse power-torque-weight)? Is the Honda legal to run under the new "D2" rules? Last year they let old focus cars and 1000 cc mini sprints race with the new Honda engine. If I had a "D2" engine, could I race with the USAC Honda class this year? It seems like we have 3 types of midgets now. Not sure how they match up and over lap to allow for different class use.

1 member likes this post: DAD
12/1/15, 7:00 PM   #3
DAD

Quote:
Originally Posted by chop View Post
Ok I have question for the people in the midget world. I understand the "national engine" I think I understand the "D2 engine" class. This were I am a little lost, USAC has a sealed Honda engine. This is the replacement for the old Ford focus program. So if I buy a sealed Honda engine. Can I race another place/class other then in a USAC "Honda" class race? Would the Honda engine be allowed to race with the USAC national engine class. Would the Honda engine be equal to a "D2" class engine (size-horse power-torque-weight)? Is the Honda legal to run under the new "D2" rules? Last year they let old focus cars and 1000 cc mini sprints race with the new Honda engine. If I had a "D2" engine, could I race with the USAC Honda class this year? It seems like we have 3 types of midgets now. Not sure how they match up and over lap to allow for different class use.

Chop

The Honda Engine falls right into D2 rules. D2 Midgets I guess you could call the equal opportunity division of the Midget race group. Kind of like a throw back to the 40's-60's when a midget had to meet certain dimensions body and frame size and engine displacement. They ran out board motors (Boy they smelled good), Motorcycle engines, small automotive engines and the trusty old 110 Offy. In the 70's special motor designs began to emerge and the run what you brung gang was displaced, and dis-appeared from the scene.

Just recently automobile engines and small motorcycle have emerged with 4 valve heads that are vastly superior to the old push rod 2 valve design. Motor cycle engines as small as 60 cubic engines are pushing 200 Horse Power right off of the bike. That fact lead to the development of the Mini Sprint race car (Midget Chassis powered by a Crotch Rocket Motor). A few years later the auto makers started making a modern 4 valve engine for the newer car design, (Thank You EPA). These motors while around 120 cubic inches to 150 cubic inches also produce around 200 Horse Power in a nearly stock state, Thus the invent of the Focus-Ecotec-Honda Midgets. All the racers had to do was figure out that all of these Midget Frame based Midget racers were very competitive with one another and I'll be darned the Idea of D2 Midgets was actualized. Just like falling off a log.

Honest Dad himself

12/1/15, 7:18 PM   #4
Avon Open Wheel fan

I need to make the following corrections to my original post. Only the motors listed below are legal in the USAC D2 Midgets.

GM Ecotec 2.4L (LE5), or 2.2L (L61)
Honda 2.4 L (K24A1)
Chrysler World Engine 2.4L
Toyota 2.4L (2AZ-FE)
Ford/Mazda Duratec 2.3L (23 I-4/L3)
GM Quad 4 2.3L and 2.4L
Ford 2.0L Focus/Scream Pre-2004

Sorry for all the confusion on the original post.

www.illinimidgets.com
Last edited by Avon Open Wheel fan; 12/1/15 at 10:24 PM.

3 members like this post: DAD, DaGuy, latemodel55
12/1/15, 8:31 PM   #5
DAD

The USAC sealed Honda Motor did not go over too well, they are kind of expensive. When Levi Jones took over the USAC midget division the PowrI Midgets were just getting into the Division2 class. Levi saw the possibility of the D2 concept and since the Honda's had not taken off yet, I guess he decided it would be a much better choice in going with the D2 concept. Both USAC and PowrI race under the same National rules so racers have a choice where and when they race, much like the National Midgets do.

Honest Dad himself

1 member likes this post: dirtball
12/1/15, 9:13 PM   #6
DaGuy

Sounds like usac used the D2 movement to facilitate their own personal agenda. Don't believe I saw that engine in the original D2 rules posting.

2 members like this post: DAD, dirtball
12/1/15, 9:27 PM   #7
DAD

Da

USAC needed car count and D2 Midgets should do that for them. There is nothing special about the Honda motor and I really don't think they will need to be restricted. Right now I think you can count the Honda cars on one hand. With these motors maybe USAC can work on a tire deal and go Pavement racing with them. They had 2 Honda cars at the Speedrome for the Tony Stewart race this last summer and they did pretty good.

Honest Dad himself

12/1/15, 10:24 PM   #8
SteveB31

The Usac home page does not mention D2 midgets. Is this not done yet.

12/1/15, 10:50 PM   #9
hullracing

Two USAC Sanctioned D2 clubs are the IMRA in Illinois/Iowa and the Midwest D2 Midget Series in Indiana. Plus I think one in the north east.

2 members like this post: Avon Open Wheel fan, DaGuy
12/2/15, 12:37 PM   #10
Wayne Davis

Race Count This Year: 38
Race Count Last Year: 68

What happen to the Subaru engine?

www.SouthernOutlawPromotions.com

1 member likes this post: jeffj
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > USAC and D2 Midgets