IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mazda partners with Badger Midgets for 2020
1/18/20, 10:42 AM   #1
Mazda partners with Badger Midgets for 2020
Ray3

https://www.mazdamotorsports.com/201...tcmVqVQxBnTQ2s

MAZDA MOTORSPORTS SUPPORTS BADGER MIDGETS

Mazda Motorsports is proud to announce a partnership with the Badger Midget Auto Racing Association (BMARA). As one of three engine manufacturers powering the race cars, Mazda racers competing within BMARA are eligible to receive parts discounts and contingency awards direct from Mazda.

“Racing runs deep within BMARA, as it does within Mazda Motorsports,” commented David Cook, Business Development Manager for Mazda Motorsports. We are happy to welcome the BMARA Mazda racers into our family, and support them along their journey.”

The Badger Midget Auto Racing Association (BMARA), founded in 1936, is the oldest active open wheel racing sanctioning body in the world. The BMARA has hosted events in six states and two countries throughout its 84 years of existence. The BMARA is one of the premier Midget Racing organizations in the world and is considered a proving ground for chassis, engines, teams and especially race car drivers.

“We are excited to have Mazda Motorsports on board for the 84th season of the Badger Midget Auto Racing Association,” stated Quinn McCabe, President of the BMARA. “The Badger Midgets are in a growth period and partnering with Mazda Motorsports will only accelerate that growth.”

1/19/20, 4:39 PM   #2
Re: Mazda partners with Badger Midgets for 2020
Puppy

What engine will be legal?

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/19/20, 5:33 PM   #3
kendirt

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
I think it's just the Mazda variant of the Duratec. Could be wrong...

3 members like this post: jdull99, Ray3, tirespinner
1/19/20, 7:29 PM   #4
badcoupe

I’m kind of thinking the same the focus escape Mazda 3&6 motors are the same. Mazda seems to support Motorsport better though

2 members like this post: Puppy, tirespinner
1/19/20, 7:36 PM   #5
Puppy

Quote:
Originally Posted by badcoupe View Post
Mazda seems to support Motorsport better though
They do good things, especially in road racing. Glad to see them supporting midget racing...

2 members like this post: dirtball, tirespinner
1/19/20, 11:06 PM   #6
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puppy View Post
The Badger rule book requires a production based stock block, stock cylinder head with as cast ports and stock crankshaft (no lightening) with a max cubic inch limit of 148.82 CID. The engine also has to be "readily available." So basically as long as the engine meets those requirements it can be run with Badger.

The cost of a NEW long block Badger engine is incredibly affordable and still incredibly fast. Badger engines routinely have finished in the top 10 against USAC & POWRI regulars. In fact, T-Mez qualified at 14.4 at Angell Park in 2019 using a Badger legal Honda and the USAC track record is something like 14.2. This was incredible considering Badger requires a minimum weight of 1100lbs with driver and POWRI allows 1050lbs with driver.

To get an idea of the costs, here is an engine builder who advertises Badger legal long blocks for sale for just $9,999.00. Disregard the 400hp statement because I would say that is not reality. However, compare that to the cost of a NEW SR-11, Toyota TRD or Esslinger BB7 and I think you can see the affordability this program brings to Midget racing. The cost to speed ratio is drastically better than the purpose built formula used by USAC, POWRI, etc.

https://www.kmodperformance.com/prod...94f49e7b&_ss=r
Last edited by Ray3; 1/19/20 at 11:18 PM.

6 members like this post: dirtball, Puppy, rick42, sjracer26, tirespinner, WinglessLovers
1/19/20, 11:14 PM   #7
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by kendirt View Post
I think it's just the Mazda variant of the Duratec. Could be wrong...
I would say you are correct....

1 member likes this post: tirespinner
1/20/20, 7:00 PM   #8
copper14

the long block is 10k but what is the installed cost with the header etc?you sell motors for 15k to 18k but that doesn't seem like affordable racing to me.irs,out of business,seemed to have a better idea with STOCK ENGINES but didn't survive the ********.not looking for a debate just my opinion.cg

2 members like this post: dirtball, jdull99
1/20/20, 9:04 PM   #9
Ray3

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper14 View Post
the long block is 10k but what is the installed cost with the header etc?you sell motors for 15k to 18k but that doesn't seem like affordable racing to me.irs,out of business,seemed to have a better idea with STOCK ENGINES but didn't survive the ********.not looking for a debate just my opinion.cg
The cost of headers, ignitions, oiling systems, brackets, fuel injections, etc don't change from series to series or engine to engine. Those costs are basically set. The only place you can save money is on the long block itself which is what Badger has done. Compare a new purpose built Scat or Bryant Midget crankshaft at $2800-$3200 vs a production based crank at $250-$300 for instance. Thats a savings but a $3,000 Engler fuel system is $3,000 whether you put it on a stock engine or a $60,000 Toyota.

You know one of the most impactful ways to cut engine costs? Learn how to build the engines yourself!! There are several top running Badger teams who build their own engines saving a substantial amount on labor. One of those teams spent $8,000 on his engine, built it himself and won a feature in 2019!
Last edited by Ray3; 1/20/20 at 9:14 PM.

4 members like this post: dirtball, erich45, luckybuc97, PIT CART
1/20/20, 10:55 PM   #10
jdull99

Quote:
Originally Posted by copper14 View Post
Please let me "correct" ONE (lol) thing: It certainly does not appear the IRS is "out of business". They have 2020 races officially scheduled at South Bend (could you run some of your cars in it? The Fort Wayne ones right?), I have it on good authority they should also continue to run Rockford Speedway, and this was posted on their FB page one week ago:

"The 2020 season is looking to be our biggest season yet. Working on the 2020 schedule and we should be returning to some familiar track's and possibly a few new tracks. We also look to have some new teams and driver's racing with us. Keep watching this page for announcement on our annual meeting to discuss rules and the 2020 schedule."

Take a glance at their NICE website, espcly this page - https://illinimidgets.com/driver-profiles

Looks like a LOT of work being put into the series this off-season (& I am not trying to take away from other racing series...I know a lot of them do a lot of work..this is primarily - last I knew - a stock engine based pavement club; so hopefully no one is offended by this post! lol)
Steel$ & Deal$ Swap Meet & Car Shows (next location; TBD...)

1 member likes this post: dirtball
Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Mazda partners with Badger Midgets for 2020