IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg
9/21/23, 8:08 PM   #21
Re: Lawrenceburg
TheLip2

Sorry, about the poor formatting this was cut and paste from PDF of local newspaper. I have attached a screenshot alternative if that is helpful.

REQUEST FOR QUALIFICATIONS

For a Racing Promoter to Operate the Lawrenceburg Speedway RFQIssued: September 6, 2023 Response Deadline: 12:00 p.m. (local time) October 2, 2023

The City of Lawrenceburg, Indiana is seeking statements of qualifications from persons or entities interested in becoming the new race track promotor for The Lawrenceburg Speedway. Time is of the essence; the City's goal is to have the track open for the 2024 racing season. A committee consisting of elected and appointed officials and persons with experience in racing and race promotions will be utilized to interview candidates and to ultimately make a recommendation to the City Council to select a new race track promotor. Relevant experience and qualifications will be used to determine who is selected as the new race track promotor. However, you do not need to be a current race track promotor or have specific experience as a race track promotor to be considered. The City does not own any of the racing, operations, maintenance, vending, or any other equipment at the Lawrenceburg Speedway. Applicants will be asked to demonstrate how they will obtain all of the necessary equipment to run the race track. Proof of financial resources will be required in the form of a certified check. This document is posted on the City of Lawrenceburg's website at www.thinklawrenceburg.com Full packets can be picked up at The City of Lawrenceburg Clerk Treasurer's Office at 212 Walnut Street, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025 or by emailing Guinevere Banschbach at gbanschbach@lawrenceburg.in.gov. Proposals shall be submitted to: The City of Lawrenceburg Clerk Treasurer's Office 212 Walnut Street, Lawrenceburg, IN 47025
Attached Images
Screenshot 2023-09-21 8.06.30 PM.png (144.3 KB, 24 views)

3 members like this post: flagboy55, motorhead748, tirespinner
9/21/23, 8:33 PM   #22
TheLip2

As a former city councilman in neighboring Greendale, I am very familiar with the local political landscape and an avid racing fan, so I don't have any shortage of thoughts about the old promoter, but I am not going to share them here for reasons that can only be imagined.

Maybe I will change my mind at some point, but not today.

At any rate, Lawrenceburg Speedway is one of the nicest dirt track facilities in the state of Indiana. Hell, maybe in the United States. The city has built this facility and periodically provided upgrades including items such as the scoring tower and new dirt several times since the rebuild. It is 25 minutes from downtown Cincinnati.

Most promoters have to maintain a facility and try to find money for capital improvements such as lighting, grandstands, parking lots, etc. This is not necessary at Lawrenceburg Speedway. It is all there and ready to go.

Now, a new promoter will need track equipment and food service equipment, but I would guess Dave might wait to see who the new promoter is before he sells everything, but maybe I am wrong. It would make sense to sell it all at once to whoever is coming in, but who knows.

Anyway, in my opinion, this is a golden opportunity for an experienced promoter to expand their operations or a new promoter with racing experience who understands what the track needs to do to attract racers to the speedway every weekend. The facility is there.

People will support this track, IF racers support this track.

It is really that simple!

For the most part, most tracks have similar purses, pit fees, and the like. So, what is it that attracts and keeps racers coming back to a track? What makes them leave? I don't know all these answers, but I know one of them. Track Prep. Track prep is science, but IT IS NOT ROCKET SCIENCE. Further, if you don't know how to do it, there are dozens of promoters around the country who would be willing to help you and give you advice if you ask nicely.

I hope a good promoter is found for Lawrenceburg Speedway. I hope good promoters apply and I hope that someone isn't selected for their local connections or for political reasons.
Last edited by TheLip2; 9/22/23 at 2:05 AM.

9/25/23, 12:22 PM   #23
fishnman

I whole heartedly agree. I have heard of certain individuals that are interested, a local late model driver in particular. Whomever does sign the contract, I wish them well. I hope the "********" are kept out of the deal. I realized after 3-1/2 years from 2007 thru 2010, doing track prep and taking care of everything else during the week, the facility would have a hard time in the future with being a "local" track. 2007 the last year of the 1/4 mile was not that way. Car counts were way up. the next year was different, a high banked 3/8th, fast. But with what the lip2 said, track prep was a big deal the last few years. I will say that track prep at Lawrenceburg is not cheap, compared to the 1/4 mile, I guess the man hours are doubled if you want the same surface as the 1/4 mile, and the cost of fuel etc is doubled. Not conducive to a "local" track expenses. Better have some VERY deep pockets if you want to take on this endeavor.. with that , two names came to mind. I feel that with just their names, some really big events could be established. really big sponsors would come on board. A schedule similar to Eldoras, with a few more special Non wing shows. Not so much a weekly program anymore, because in my opinion that is the nature of the beast today. I don't particularly like it, but I don't like paying more property taxes each year, but I deal with it. I could go on for three more hours. with that , those two names I was thinking of........... Brad Sweet and Kyle Larson, wishful thinking huh.
Last edited by fishnman; 9/25/23 at 12:23 PM. Reason: spelling

4 members like this post: cowboyhar69, Grocery Guy, Love dirt, mtek56
9/25/23, 12:32 PM   #24
fishnman

So if you are listening.... Brad Sweet and Kyle Larson , I know two individuals who would gladly resume their track prep duties

1 member likes this post: Igo-Ono
9/25/23, 12:47 PM   #25
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

J.r Todd is not taking over the track and calling it Frolic Speedway.

Confirmed on Facebook.

9/29/23, 11:48 PM   #26
Harvestman

Thought I would chime in with a personal anecdote about my experience at Lawrenceburg.

For 4 or 5 years I had attended the occasional regular season event at the 'Burg but made a point of going to the Night of Destruction each year. School bus racing was the wildest thing I had ever seen. One night I was talking to Chad Cunningham (an old church acquaintance) and mentioned that I'd love to do some school bus racing if the opportunity ever arose. To my surprise Chad said that he would see what Dave had to say and would keep me posted.
At first, Dave was not keen on the idea of an outsider coming into the bus races. It took a lot of talking and reassurance to finally win him over. I got a bus, tore it down, slapped some Rust-Oleum on the sides, and hit the track in the "Hot Wheels bus" for the 2020 Night of Destruction. The kids all loved the theme, even if it wasn't very quick. It was an absolute blast racing something that was never meant to be raced at all.
Of course, the impending change in ownership meant that everything - including the track vehicles - had to go. I sold the bus this evening, to someone who will use the powertrain in his dump truck.
I'm not sure how well it came across from the stands, but there was a real comraderie among the "bus guys" (and gal) that really made me feel welcome. From Josh Shaw helping install a harness to Adam Clark making sure everything was in order mechanically, to T-Roy helping remove those last few seats and Brian Litchfield helping with fueling, I am really thankful to each one of them for welcoming me into their circle.
I owe a whole lot of thanks to both Dave and Chad for helping me out with making a far-fetched dream become a reality. Hopefully I'll get to do it again sometime.

(By the way - Dave's initial apprehension was for a good reason. The 2020 race was my first time racing any type of vehicle on any type of surface. Trial by fire for sure!)
Last edited by Harvestman; 9/29/23 at 11:52 PM.

9/30/23, 10:04 AM   #27
Dale

One casual observation, it's a warning sign that it had to advertise for promotion.

3 members like this post: flagboy55, PIT CART, Speedmax3
9/30/23, 11:57 AM   #28
badcoupe

They advertised it every when Dave’s contract was up, I believe it’s a legality, saw it a few times in the paper through the years, always hoping it was getting new promoter to no avail.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
9/30/23, 2:48 PM   #29
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale View Post
One casual observation, it's a warning sign that it had to advertise for promotion.

The City ask for bid submissions every time the lease comes up. In this case a little early due to the announcement that the current Lessor would not be renewing.

1 member likes this post: flagboy55
11/4/23, 7:22 PM   #30
motorhead748

The city has called for an emergency council meeting Monday (6th) to name the new promoter.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Lawrenceburg