IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different????
10/9/07, 12:51 PM   #1
Something different????
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

As put by myself and others. Some regular shows are indeed every bit as good or better than some of the special shows. The Blind Draw showed it's weakness last weekend but Im also against the money teams having total domination thorugh qualifying.

Some sanction or track should hold it's shows in a two heat format with passing points or passing points as the determining factor for feature lineups.

Yeah there is money in the special shows, But where do they stand out amongst the local tracks shows?

Are Eldora, Bellville and Knoxville the only tracks capable of more than ten grand to win or high dollar purse shows?

I say this because I think it's becoming more increasing that something has to be different, Better or better run to get people to travel to it.

IM FINDING IT AWEFUL HARD to travel even the two hours to other tracks when my regular show is at best slightly inferior and sometimes better.

Chuck, still ravin about midget week action thats format was a big factor in that action. *Not knocking any team or racer here* They always do their job and RACE

10/9/07, 2:19 PM   #2
Re: Something different????
speidel21

when i raced karts, we ran 2 heats (2nd heat lineup inverted from first) and they took your two finishes to determine feature lineup. that would probably take forever if they did that on a normal night with stockcars and sprints.
qualifying is a good thing depending on how many of the fastest you invert. USAC inverting 6 seemed to be good and it was always exciting wathcing them qualifying. UMRA TQ midgets inverts the top 10 so you never want to qualify good which kinda takes away watching guys on the edge trying to get a good time. Never have ran with the passing points system but it seems like it would be a cool thing.

nick speidel

10/9/07, 2:24 PM   #3
Sandy Lowe

Lawrenceburg Speedway did use the "Chili Bowl" passing points format for their Monster Modifieds show.

When any sanctioning body comes to a racetrack they use their own racing format. I don't believe any track, other than maybe Eldora, could get an organization to alter their format just because they want something different.

I'm in favor of a "Chili Bowl" passing point format for all big shows if you don't qualify. IMHO at a regular show, when you don't have the time to run two sets of heat races, there is very little difference in a blind draw and passing points.

10/9/07, 5:39 PM   #4
jpa317

The Sprint Bandits and ASCS 360s have used a 2 heat and passing points format for a few years. No time trials, and good racing. They run a round of heats, re-seed them into "qualifiers" with an invert. Top 16 in passing points after the heats and qualifiers are in the A, rest into the B or Bs.

10/9/07, 5:44 PM   #5
Sprint Fan

Sandy Lowe
Quote:
there is very little difference in a blind draw and passing points
That is exactly how I feel about it!

I would love to see what would have happened if some local show promoter had announced at the drivers meeting,
"there will be NO qualifying tonight we will line up by blind draw or passing points"
with Bob Kinser, Dick Gaines, Butch Wilkerson, Sheldon Kinser in the line ups!

In this day and age of technology if you can't qualify 75 cars in 45 minutes, you shouldn't be allowed to run a big race!

There is too much luck in racing, let the drivers have some control over their own destiny for the night!

I am guessin' that Stanbrough & Clayton would agree racing would have been beter at the 'Burg WITH qualifications!

Just my opinion :wink1:

10/9/07, 6:48 PM   #6
Sandy Lowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
IMHO at a regular show, when you don't have the time to run two sets of heat races, there is very little difference in a blind draw and passing points.
Just wanted to clarify my opinion.

I think a race format that utilizes passing points and only one set of heats is not that much different than a blind draw.

But...

A race format that utilizes passing points and two sets of heats is better than a blind draw.

10/9/07, 6:59 PM   #7
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sandy Lowe View Post
Just wanted to clarify my opinion.

I think a race format that utilizes passing points and only one set of heats is not that much different than a blind draw.

But...

A race format that utilizes passing points and two sets of heats is better than a blind draw.

I think even the single heat format is better than the age old USAC formula of four heats and everyone but four of any amount over 32 load up for the night.
The Midget week format blew the Sprintweek out of the water. ALthough both were good series.

Chuck

10/9/07, 8:11 PM   #8
Mr. Happy

Bring back qualifying. USAC's format is still the best overall.

10/10/07, 2:54 AM   #9
bherzog513

Sprints only- Pill draw for first and second rounds, passing points apply, time considering consi/no consi either or. In other words pill draw for two sets of heats. That would be the most entertainment possible and here is why I think that. Example being all good cars draw in first heat first round. That leads to a bunch of so called-clowns racing for the win in the rest of the heats, which is still generally exciteing to see someone who trys their damndest to win. And a hell of a heat race that is better that most any feature. Normally that means a bunch of good guys getting screwed but with consideration of the average of two heats, NOBODY can claim that luck is not at least 50/50 for the night. Much better than looking at your luck the way it stands each night.

The second round all cars would be re-drawn leading to a whole another spectrum of talent and equipment against each other starting in different positions. In perspective that would be like at last weeks MSCS show at the burg starting the 53 car at the back of one heat and the pole of the other, putting him into the show most likely, but the question lies in who would be the middle guy who out did him buy a few spots with average finishes, but yet raced him in the last 3 laps of the feature for the win? I know this is perfect world thinking that a good car starts at the tail and the front, but Im trying to pass on a concept.

I cant put into words the entire concept in my brain, but use some imagination and you will realize it would be worth paying a couple extra dollars to see the sprints(average weekly ones!) once more in a night and make it interesting to see how it all plays out. This deal seems really dramatic and unpredictable vs. knowing if you are joe shmoe who is starting row 4 to the usac points leaders, that you are about to waste fuel for about a snow balls chance in hel!.

What happend to promoting qaulifying and fast car dashes? Really? Ten years ago they did it everywhere.(my understanding would be that they always paid money for them) You eliminated two things, how bout putting on some more racing, a few times of year, and it being something someone who doesnt normally come, sees? If I seen this once I would be more likely to support a track the rest of the year.

:darland:

This is IOW... who has the first negitive comment? Prolly to do with D.R.

10/10/07, 2:57 AM   #10
bherzog513

NO PROMOTER HAS TRIED THIS! HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT MAKE MONEY OFF OF THIS "GIMMICK"

Id much rather see more racing than more money paid.

Who wants to see money paid vs. more racing? Id like to hear everyones thoughts

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > Something different????