IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 2009 Depression Hits Kokomo Indiana
3/10/09, 5:00 PM   #51
Re: The 2009 Depression Hits Kokomo Indiana
TQ29m

Was I the only one, to watch Donald *****, and his evaluation of the situation the other night. I feel, and have felt, for a long time, that unless something is done, to control how the energy in this country is priced, as soon as the economy even casts a shadow of light, the OPEC, and others, will make oil and natural gas, rise again, and further stiffle any upturn that might have began. His opinion, followed mine, sit down with those folks, and tell them, "look, we'll give you $21.00 a Bbl, and buy every one you ship here, if that doesn't sound OK, then we'll drill and supply our own. I didn't know you could plate gold over platinum, but they've figured out how to do it, everthing they have, has been plated by our dollars, many times over. Bob

3/10/09, 5:11 PM   #52
LEADERS EDGE

I saw his interview and agree to for the most part. The costs will rise, but much of the price last year was caused by traders trying to cover other loses and running up oil.

3/10/09, 5:19 PM   #53
Onlydirt

I totally agree the energy crisis popped the bubble we were living in. Now they know we will pay $4 a Gallon, so where do you think it is going to go? Just like the refineries wont produce as much gas since they dont make top dollar at this price per barrel. They will still post record profits....what gives?

3/10/09, 5:46 PM   #54
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

How are you gonna control energy prices when in this bill the house is trying to pass tonight is a Cap and Trade clause that will make everyones fuel and electric go up about 35-45 percent and still not do a thing for global warming. Its all a money grab. Just like adding taxes to beer, cigaretes. luxury cars. There are no trees planted. There are no scrubbers purchased. Its just a flat fee based on carbon use.

Chuck, gonna have to pay a dollar to fart before long

3/10/09, 7:33 PM   #55
TQ29m

Won't be any controls, as long as the money keeps flowin the same way it does now, sad part is, I don't know if anyone but poor folks, blue collar and all, even smart enough to care or worry, everyone else is so selfserving, they just go outa "state" for a while. Don't think there's enough WWII vets left, to whup em again! Bob

3/10/09, 11:26 PM   #56
Charles Nungester

Race Count This Year: 6
Race Count Last Year: 14

What suprises me is the number of media outlets going under. Expecially with elections years where litterally hundreds of millions are being pumped into just that. Media Advertising.

Paul has it exactly right. Up until now they were voting how the polls, (Their constuants) pretty much wanted, No matter if it was right or wrong. Its their job to do so.

Now they are going against popular opinion (70-80) percent against all these spending bills, Stimulus. Our one Congresswoman voted for the first one. I'll tell you what, She got the message loud and clear after that.

If you feel they are working against the majority of the consistuants in your district. It is your job to get the number of signatures necessary to have them removed.

I resently signed one for the removal of Sherrod Brown.

Chuck, expecting someone from the party to come and take me away. LOL for now.

3/10/09, 11:28 PM   #57
pgray

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray
* Chrysler doesn't have a clue. Sad leadership.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wtvwrocks
... our corporate VP, ... He attended a dinner last week with the VP of Chrysler and the bottom line is this: our government will have to bail out Chrysler, GM, etc. because if any ONE of them fail it will result in instantly 34 million job losses from the trickle down effect.
No.

Instantly , No.

The entire industry ( all manufacturers , suppliers , dealer network , etc. ) would all have to liquidate and take every remotely related business with it to see 34 Million. You give this industry too much credit.

Otherwise , :thumb for your post !

:action-smiley-049:

3/11/09, 9:43 AM   #58
wtvwrocks

Quote:
Originally Posted by pgray View Post
No.

Instantly , No.

The entire industry ( all manufacturers , suppliers , dealer network , etc. ) would all have to liquidate and take every remotely related business with it to see 34 Million. You give this industry too much credit.

Otherwise , :thumb for your post !

:action-smiley-049:
His numbers (Chrysler) I think it is more an estimate of all ancillary industries not necessarily those directly involved. In years past, bad business was allowed to just "go away" when they didn't manage theirselves properly. Anyone driving an Oldsmobile?? They just "went away", no one bailed them out.

3/11/09, 9:59 AM   #59
wtvwrocks

[QUOTE=Charles Nungester;91585]What suprises me is the number of media outlets going under. Expecially with elections years where litterally hundreds of millions are being pumped into just that. Media Advertising. QUOTE]

Actually what will surprise most people is that political dollars don't do that much to "help" our business. For example, most politicians use television and local radio to broadcast their campaign - newspaper is virtually shut out, cable sees little to no dollars, and other mediums are rarely used. There are some legalities about political advertising that the majority are unaware of.

By law we have to sell them air-time at the lowest unit rate on our station, and we have to knock out a local advertiser to make room for them. Again, supply and demand. Last year, I had clients willing to pay $3k or more for one commercial in American Idol, however, your politicians (both GOP and DNC) will come in and knock out that advertiser and I *have* to sell it to them for the lower rate. This creates an instant demand on the station's inventory but leaves no room for us to command a higher price as other industries would because we're bound legally to offer them the lowest price available. Millions are pushed in, but multi-millions are lost. The more disturbing fact is that loyal customers, businesses big and small, are forced to sit on the sidelines and not promote their business because the politicians eat up the inventory.

Newspaper in particular is failing because it is a dinosaur of a medium that hasn't kept up with the younger generations need for instantaneous action. Gen Y (18-30 year olds) or also called the "echo boomers" is estimated to be 3x as large as the baby boomers and they have the most buying power in our current economy. This generation wants instant results for everything. In a meeting with Toyota their people told us the Scion brand was developed specifically for that generation. This generation doesn't know crank windows, manual locks, or manual transmission. This generation knows Ipods, cell phones, e-mail, and everything has to be customizable. This generation will never have a land line phone and they'll never subscribe to a *paper* newspaper, they will rely on their debit cards instead of cash for purchases. Again, it's this mentality that has forced us to become a nation of consumers. Our largest buying power generation wants what they want when they want it - they have no brand loyalty, they research on the internet before they make purchases and they want information *right now*. Not tomorrow when it's already over with. The companies that get this and start reaching out to that group of people, the ones that don't will dry up and fold. While this down economy is a bad thing for everyone it might also be a blessing to this generation of credit obsessed consumers.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 2009 Depression Hits Kokomo Indiana