IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 2009 Depression Hits Kokomo Indiana
3/7/09, 6:49 PM   #11
Re: The 2009 Depression Hits Kokomo Indiana
Joey Woods

I'm in construction, I hired a new guy last week and I'm planning on adding one more before the end of the month. I know it could come to a crashing halt but, I am not going to influence it by slowing my business because it might happen. Some parts of the country are worse than others, I know a few contractors here that have no work and have let there business go to hell because mainly the media got them all wrapped up in how bad it is, then they start believing it. These guys ask how come I am busy and they are not. I am not a better contractor than them, I tell them while you were watching all this crap on tv I was still running business and prospecting for the spring. One of the first things businesses did was cut their advertising, how much sense does that make. I'm not busy so I won't advertise?:doh: I just want to say thankyou to all those contractors here in the Evansville area that chose that route!

3/7/09, 7:47 PM   #12
Rpracing1

I work for an engineering firm in Evansville. Coal business is booming. You cannot put all of your eggs in one basket. Diversification is the key here.

3/7/09, 7:52 PM   #13
Rpracing1

Car count last night at Kentucky Lake Motor speedway. A total of 50 Late Models and 72 Modifieds were on hand. Does not sound too bad.

3/7/09, 8:27 PM   #14
racephoto1

I could go on a diatribe, but I won't. I will say this, we aren't are grandparents, and have got used to the easy life. We have forgotten about self reliance. This generation needs something, we buy it. Making it ourselves or grow it , no way.Well people get your head out of the sand. You think your government is going to be able to bail everyone out, don't make me laugh. All they want to do is spend our childrens money.

Yes it is time for a revolution, but I think too many people are afraid to let go of the government teat.

3/8/09, 1:07 AM   #15
Fisher79

I'm not sure where Paul lives, but he's making it sound like all of us here in Kokomo are huddling around fires to stay warm, eating mayonnaise sandwiches and drinking sugar water. I assure you that's not the case.

Sure things are bad, people are losing some jobs but things are bad everywhere. Kokomo is not like Detroit. I think the Forbes article is ********; Kokomo was an easy mark for that story because, unlike a city like Anderson that's lost all of its high-paying manufacturing jobs, Kokomo still has its big three: Haynes, Delphi and Chrysler. Yes, at least two or those are on life support as we speak, but the fact remains that you can call any city -- not just Kokomo -- with American automotive jobs left to lose a "dying" city in this economy. As long as those places are still operational here, Kokomo will exist in somewhat close to the same state it's in now. And to be honest, the state it's in now is not too terribly bad, as I see it. Sure, the car dealerships are dropping like flies, but there is growth in other areas.

I understand that one or all three of those factories that sustain my hometown could cease to exist literally tomorrow, but I hold out hope that they pull through. Because I like my city. It's goofy, but I'm proud of where I'm from.

As far as the Speedway goes, what K.O. said in the intro to his Staab interview rings true: the race fan will find a way to show up. I will see the same faces this summer that I've seen for 26 years prior, and some new ones. In fact, as the pro sports leagues circle of the drain (which has just begun, I promise you) I think that grassroots entertainment like what we have every Sunday night will get a boost. That's another of my hopes, anyway. Because as bad as it would be to see Kokomo go to hell, seeing Kokomo Speedway boarded up would just about kill me.

3/8/09, 2:39 AM   #16
racephoto1

Well, this is change we can believe in.

3/8/09, 9:12 AM   #17
racer-x

Like him or hate him Glenn Beck is the only person i heard that is really getting you the truth in the news media. He said 2 years ago we were headed for a depression.Its funny the only people that really give a flip about the country are the ones that did not vote for B O !
You can watch Glen on FOX NEWS 6 nights a week or listen to his radio show at many radio stations. www.glennbeck.com I think people should listen to him not to get scared and freaky but to prepare for what could happen in the next few years.

3/8/09, 9:27 AM   #18
MichiganCircleTrack.com

Folks,

I don't think that 2009 is going to be a bad year at the gate for the grandstands.

In fact, I wrote about that just a week or so ago :

http://www.michigancircletrack.com/c...he-grandstands

I do agree that the Pit Gate is going to be effected.

This will be a pivital year for track promoters and owners. If they contract their advertising budget and shrink payouts to try and save $$, they will lose their butts long term.

However.. if they are aggressive in their advertising, they would see huge gains in the grandstands.. and this will allow them to hold the line on payouts (or even increase them), which will keep car counts steady.

If the tracks lose cars this year, they will lose them forever. Its a proven fact that people who leave the short track game rarely return. If tracks can provide just enough of a stimulus package (couldn't resist using that phrase) to the drivers to get them through this lean year, the reward on the other side will be boon to the long term future of the track.

3/8/09, 9:46 AM   #19
Ovalmeister

Quote:
Originally Posted by racer-x View Post
Like him or hate him Glenn Beck is the only person i heard that is really getting you the truth in the news media. He said 2 years ago we were headed for a depression.Its funny the only people that really give a flip about the country are the ones that did not vote for B O !
You can watch Glen on FOX NEWS 6 nights a week or listen to his radio show at many radio stations. www.glennbeck.com I think people should listen to him not to get scared and freaky but to prepare for what could happen in the next few years.
If this is the kind of thing you're into. To each his own I guess. Personally, I'll continue to flip past him when he's on. Freedom of choice and all. :thumb
David.

Quote:
Mr. Beck has often roused protests from the left, and never more so than when he interviewed Representative Keith Ellison of Minnesota after he was newly elected as the first ****** congressman.

Mr. Beck said, “Sir, prove to me that you are not working with our enemies.” He added: “I’m not accusing you of being an enemy, but that’s the way I feel, and I think a lot of Americans will feel that way.” Mr. Beck later said his question had been “poorly worded"

3/8/09, 9:56 AM   #20
Stagger

Sorry, but Glenn Beck is an Idiot but he does tell it like he thinks it is. Just like most Pundits on TV... The Media feeds you what they are told to feed you. Why do people listen to others and make decisions based on what some idiot says on TV. THINK for yourself. Make YOUR own decisions on what is best for yourself. Don't listen to Washington or the Idiots on TV. If all this idiots on TV"fox,cnn,msnbc," really were all that and had all the answers they would not be on TV. Some folks live in a DR. Phil Oprah world and actually believe these people have a clue. Please.... THINK FOR YOURSELF... don't be a LEMMING.

Everyone is entitled to their thoughts and opinions. We can point the finger at Gov, Politicians, Pundits,.....but question religion and think they should pay property taxes and you are the devil.... Think of that tax base that is untapped....Biggest tax shelter fraud in our country.Nah, We will just keep raising taxes on smokes and Beer. The most discriminative tax there is. I really find it interesting that very smart people make logical choices in their life 6 days a week but come Sunday they can forget common sense and believe some really weird sh*t that makes no sense 6 days a week. Personally? What ever makes you feel good is OK with me. Live and let live.
But mention taxing churches which operate like any business in this country and you are the devil. Look around and see how much land they own and money that a lot of these places generate. I still do not understand why Religion costs so much money. Believing in anything I thought was FREE.

This post is not to slam any religion or religious people. All I am saying is LOOK AROUND open your minds see outside the box for a minute and make choices for yourself and your family. Screw the TV pundits, The politicians, etc. THINK FOR YOURSELF!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > The 2009 Depression Hits Kokomo Indiana