IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum
Forgot Password?

Reply  Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)
1/10/08, 11:41 PM   #11
Re: New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by racefan20 View Post
Guess the deal breaker for Sargent's group is that the fair board didnt want a weekly NASCAR LM series and the group wanted it enough to walk away.
I can understand why Sargent backed out if they didn

1/10/08, 11:55 PM   #12
Jerry Shaw

That makes sense, Jeff. I see your logic. But, there is no way the people on the South end would put up with a weekly show. They complain enough the way it is.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1/11/08, 12:02 AM   #13
sprintcar64

Nowings you are probably right but the fact is THAT will never run weekly because it is right in the middle of town. Plus the Vigo County Youth Soccer Association has hundreds of kids playing soccer there weekly every spring and fall. Most people around here realize that any racing there is a blessing because that piece of real estate is prime and I think another season like 2007 will be the last.

1/11/08, 12:06 AM   #14
nowingsjeff

Race Count This Year: 5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Shaw View Post
That makes sense, Jeff. I see your logic. But, there is no way the people on the South end would put up with a weekly show. They complain enough the way it is.

Jerry
What do they complain about, noise? I know most of the people on IOW are not used to it but mufflers could be an answer to that problem. I go to Perris every year for the Oval Nationals and they run mufflers. At first I didn't like it, but now I actually think it's OK. If that's all we have to do to keep the local tree huggers happy then I think that's a small price to pay to keep racing in Terre Haute.

1/11/08, 12:26 AM   #15
Sprint63122

I do not think they would have much of a problem with weekly shows they just need to get done at a decent hour to me it does not matter what time they get done has I will sit in the stands for hours to watch racing there especially liked the 360's with wings and without wings plus the 410's with and without wings shows from years past plus the admission price of $18.00 was a great deal and we know how long they went into the morning both nights they ran.It is just to bad with today's candy ass society out there that a few people can complain and get there way majority does not rule at all and until we can get back to the way things where done this way everything will be a struggle to get done.All I want to see happen is long live the action track and let the developers build there crap elsewhere there is more than enough land in other places to buy it is just amazing that they target racetracks a lot everywhere to build on.

1/11/08, 12:40 AM   #16
Jerry Shaw

Guys, I would rather look at the glass as half full. Or, at the very least, a hell of a lot more full than it was last year. You have two capable guys, who care about the place and have a history here, that have taken on the task of bringing it back to prominence. And one of them works for the Hulman family. That's good news to me.

Jerry

Winston Churchill

1/11/08, 6:54 AM   #17
RacingRescue

Nobody was any more surprised than I was when the article came out in the Trib-Star. Either promotional group would be great for the Action Track. Sargent has been there before and Mike King was the track announcer at one time.

As for the weekly racing at the track, yes, the local noise ordinance is part of it. One other thing that has to be considered is there are too many other tracks within driving distance of the Terre Haute area that have weekly racing and would be competing for the limited number of racers that are out there. Who would want to have racing at LPS, Bloomington, Terre Haute, Tri-State, and Danville in the same night or same weekend. I could see feature races with 15 or fewer cars.

1/11/08, 7:04 AM   #18
Al Pierce

Race Count This Year: 49
Race Count Last Year: 43

In the first year, I would be happy to see 2 or 3 USAC sprint races, the Sumar, Hut Hundred and hopefully a couple of MSCS races. I would rather see the Action Track stay a big event place, in other words quality over quantity.

Jerry[/QUOTE]

I agree. Keep it a big event place. With the prices they have to charge I don't think fans could/would support a weekly show. Then....how about at least one Sprint Car event on Sunday afternoon with the pits in the infield? Surely they could get the track to hold up for one daytime event. Retro racin':applaud:

1/11/08, 7:27 AM   #19
Dwight Clock

Special events only, I agree. In order for THAT to return to it's rightful place of prominence the Hulman classic for sprints, Sumar classic for SC, and Hut Hundred for midgets should be the cornerstones of the schedule. One of the best attended events I saw at THAT was an MSCS race there on August 9, 2004, a Monday night. It was the day after the Brickyard and featured Bill Elliott there signing autographs. Maybe that event could be held again.

1/11/08, 7:33 AM   #20
Danny Burton

I agree. Keep it a big event place. With the prices they have to charge I don't think fans could/would support a weekly show. Then....how about at least one Sprint Car event on Sunday afternoon with the pits in the infield? Surely they could get the track to hold up for one daytime event. Retro racin':applaud:[/QUOTE]

Sunday afternoon would be a great idea if.....it was either earlier in the year and/or later. In our air conditioned society, people don't always want to get outside as much.

That is not a comment on today's society at all. We forget that we are as tough as we feel the need to be.

Quiet, numbskulls. I'm broadcasting.

Reply Indiana Open Wheel > Indiana Open Wheel Forum > New promoter for THAT(and it aint Bob Sargent)