IndianaOpenWheel.com Sprint Car & Midget Racing Forum

Register! Forgot Password?
View Poll Results: Will a full Containment seat help prevent bodily injuries?
YES a FC seat will help prevent bodily injuries 63 94.03%
NO a FC seat will not help prevent bodily injuries 4 5.97%
Voters: 67. You may not vote on this poll
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #61 7/10/13 4:54 PM
Originally Posted by hungthrottlepodcast:
This is my humble opinion as a guy who has been around more pavement late model racing than open wheel dirt racing, but when I look at that picture it makes me cringe because that looks unsafe. I see way too much of the driver being exposed even if he's in a full containment seat. Please don't take it as criticism as it's just my opinion.
Heck, when I'm suited up and strapped in, I almost disappear in there as from looking at the pictures on track at Montpelier.
http://mcevoyracingphotos.smugmug.co...563209_hK6HD8x
Posted via Mobile Device
hungthrottlepodcast (Offline)
  #62 7/11/13 3:11 PM
Originally Posted by PatrickMead#13:
Heck, when I'm suited up and strapped in, I almost disappear in there as from looking at the pictures on track at Montpelier.
http://mcevoyracingphotos.smugmug.co...563209_hK6HD8x
Posted via Mobile Device
Even looking at the photo you posted it doesn't look safe. I wish there was more crushable area between the bars and the drivers and I also don't like how exposed you are on the side.

I remember there were a rash of head injuries in pavement late models years ago when guys would go into a wall drivers side first and their head would either hit the door bars or the wall. To remedy that they used the head containers and moved the drivers over a little bit. Can't really do that in a midget.

Not arguing with you, again it's just my opinion. And my opinion is probably jaded because of the racing I have grown old on.
PatrickMead#13 (Offline)
  #63 7/12/13 7:08 AM
I have about 10-11 inches between my helmet and the cage. Usually my helmet is fully inside the head restraint but I was adjusting my fuel trim in that picture. My whole left side is inside the seat pretty far. If I had a different color suit it would show how little is exposed. I one of those guys who wears a suit that's the same color as the seat and a harness a different color so they stand out incase a safety worker needs to get me out quick and they don't have to search for them....

Posted via Mobile Device
thebus79h (Offline)
  #64 7/12/13 1:30 PM
Originally Posted by racephoto1:
Jason wasn't killed because he didn't have a containment seat. He was killed due to a mechanic's failure, either through leaving something loose on the car,, or lack of proper maintenance.Some people may be offended with this statement, but I'm old school.Something falls of the car and kills the driver, it's the mechanics fault.When I worked on race cars, nothing fell off one of mine. As for whether or not a containment seat would have protected him after the failure, I'd say yes, but there are no guarantees, though it would have increased his odds of survival. This is Jason at Tri State in April. Notice the seat.

IMG_7419 copy by uncloose1, on Flickr

The one I know where a containment seat would have made all the difference in the world is Arin MacIntosh. The accident she had at the Burg that night seemed so inconsequential that I didn't even pay attention. Was I wrong. She received a severe head injury , and if she had used a containment seat, she wouldn't have received one.

I just don't understand why drivers don't want to go toward safety , and rather run from it. Ask drivers who have head injuries if they wish they had the seat. Go see some whose head injuries are so severe they can't communicate, and ask yourself this,"Do I want to risk going through this, and do I want to put my family through it?" Oh, and also call Robbie Rice and check into STIDA, you may need to pay someone to change your diaper and wipe the food off your chin.
You may be the most ignorant person I've ever seen. You are for real blaming the mechanic for Jason's death? You have no clue to if that stop stripped on the splines, bolt broke or anything.

I drive and wrench on cars and we don't have mechanical dnfs. But ill tell you what, things happen. Makes it no better and its terrible, but not a damn one of us knows what happened.

On the seat thing. Im the one in the seat, I should decide my safety equipment. I drive a car with a full containment seat but wait til you mandate it and someone gets hurt or killed. Talk about lawsuit.

Posted via Mobile Device
c47 (Offline)
  #65 7/12/13 2:26 PM
based on the NJSP investigation, the stop was found on the track in turn 4, broaches undamaged and the pinch bolt was still tight. same thing happened to larson at knoxville last weekend and if you ask around and go back a ways, this crap has been happening for years.....you just dont hear as much about it cause its happening to "local" racers and the injuries (if any) are minor compared to lefflers.....but to call someone ignorant because they believe that a mechanic is responsible for their drivers safety...IMO....is not needed.
thebus79h (Offline)
  #66 7/12/13 4:48 PM
The mechanic is responsible to a point. He or she cannot dictate when or if something is going to happen. I called him ignorant because he blamed the mechanic. If the stop was tight and wasn't stripped explain how that's his fault.

Posted via Mobile Device
DAD (Offline)
  #67 7/12/13 10:51 PM
Originally Posted by c47:
based on the NJSP investigation, the stop was found on the track in turn 4, broaches undamaged and the pinch bolt was still tight. same thing happened to larson at knoxville last weekend and if you ask around and go back a ways, this crap has been happening for years.....you just dont hear as much about it cause its happening to "local" racers and the injuries (if any) are minor compared to lefflers.....but to call someone ignorant because they believe that a mechanic is responsible for their drivers safety...IMO....is not needed.
The way a very talented mechanic friend of mine explained it to me. It was probably a high dollar titanium stop with a titanium pinch bolt. Titanium bolts sometimes tend to get gaulded up in the threads and will give you a false torque reading, in other words the torque wrench may say it is tight enough but in fact it is not .

Honest Dad himself
cbaumeyer48 (Offline)
  #68 7/13/13 12:15 AM
Gentlemen .... Some of you may recall another driver we just lost in Bloomington IN just weeks before Jason......Josh Burton. Some of those who witnessed this accident stated his head injuries came from items entering thru the top Halo. Here is an item I have recently seen installed on a car at Tri State Speedway. I'm not naming any names, but I know his father is a huge safety advocate. I personally am having this installed on my new Triple X we are putting together. I believe this would be another step in the right direction towards making our sport a little safer! JMO

Posted via Mobile Device
Attachments:
image.jpg (615.3 KB)

snoopy (Offline)
  #69 7/13/13 9:05 AM
Seems this comes up frequently. In a crash would these bars try to split the cage with outward pressure. Then slow up removing the driver from a full containment seat. No argument just questions.

Posted via Mobile Device
TQ29m (Offline)
  #70 7/13/13 12:02 PM
Personally, I don't feel like it would, if you straightened out the tubing, it would probably only be an inch or so longer than a straight piece, and again, to me, this is not an extension of the cage because it is too short, it is intended to deflect any entry from another or parts of a car, I broke a spindle one night at Twin City's, and the wheel went into the ouside wall, bounced way high, and danged near landed in my cockpit, in a case like that, I feel it would be a good safety addition, but when I asked about adding them, I was told it would interfere with getting the driver out, hell, they cut the cage off anyway, so what makes the difference, I'd like to put some on my car. Bob

"Being old, isn't half as much fun, as getting there"! Ole Robert I!